Another Unlimited Data Question

Search This thread

blueice5249

Jun 29, 2010
Broke my S3, and would like to upgrade to the Moto X. Unfortunately, I have the unlimited data upgrade. Our family plan has 5 lines. 1 unlimited smart, 1 tiered smart, and 3 dumb phones. I've searched and heard NUMEROUS stories on how to keep unlimited data, and read comments from people about how none of those work. I figured the XDA folks may be a bit more knowledgeable than some other forums, so I'm trying my hand here. I've heard a few different ways to do it:

1. Transfer my upgrade through myverizon to a dumb line and then upgrade. (Verizon alone has given me about 4 different answers on if this would void my UDP)

2. Find a retailer that would work things around and keep my UDP. (Found a guy, verizonchris, on a different site that said he could do this for me most likely, but he needs my billing password. Naturally, Im reluctant to give it out)

3. Transfer upgrade on myverizon, go to a store and get a upgrade voucher for motomaker, then upgrade through motomaker and it will keep my UDP.

I've heard of some others, as I'm sure you guys have, and am really just looking for some sort of verification for this from some smart peeps!

(Sidenote, I'm also going to claim the S3 on Asurion. Does anyone know what Asurion is giving people for broken vzw S3's? Heard a few different things, maybe an upgrade through that would be possible?)

Thanks!

Jacquestrapp

Apr 27, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Broke my S3, and would like to upgrade to the Moto X. Unfortunately, I have the unlimited data upgrade. Our family plan has 5 lines. 1 unlimited smart, 1 tiered smart, and 3 dumb phones. I've searched and heard NUMEROUS stories on how to keep unlimited data, and read comments from people about how none of those work. I figured the XDA folks may be a bit more knowledgeable than some other forums, so I'm trying my hand here. I've heard a few different ways to do it:

1. Transfer my upgrade through myverizon to a dumb line and then upgrade. (Verizon alone has given me about 4 different answers on if this would void my UDP)

2. Find a retailer that would work things around and keep my UDP. (Found a guy, verizonchris, on a different site that said he could do this for me most likely, but he needs my billing password. Naturally, Im reluctant to give it out)

3. Transfer upgrade on myverizon, go to a store and get a upgrade voucher for motomaker, then upgrade through motomaker and it will keep my UDP.

Thanks!

4. Buy the Moto X outright and pop your SIM in.

MetalMan2

May 25, 2012
Sounds like you may be overthinking this, or something has changed that I'm not aware of.

You can't do anything with the upgrade available on your unlimited line. If you do, this will most likely reset your line to tiered data.

The upgrade would need to be on the dumb phone line.
You would upgrade that dumb phone's line to the phone you want.
When the phone comes, call up Verizon and activate the new phone on your line.
Double check with Verizon that the data plan will not activate on the dumb phone's line.
Enjoy your new phone with unlimited data! Too bad the person who uses that dumb phone won't have an upgrade for another couple years.

jager420

Aug 25, 2010
San Fernando Valley
If other lines on the account have upgrades available all you will need to do is update using one of the other updates. The line yoy used for the upgrade will now have a 2gb plan but you don't activate with that line. Just put your SIM in and you will still have your UNLIMITED DATA. Hope this helped.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
You can't do anything with the upgrade available on your unlimited line. If you do, this will most likely reset your line to tiered data.
The 'new every two' was discontinued 2 years ago. The reason you get a new subsidized phone price is because you're re-entering into a contract with verizon... so it's like it's a new contract/line. You don't have credits and there's nothing to transfer, but if your contract is up, you can get the 'new' price. Unless you have unlimited data... you do that and they'll move you to a 'share everything' plan.

I've been told Costco will generally eat the cost of the phone, just to sell you one at the 'new' price and get the credit for your business. You keep the unlimited data and Verizon thinks you paid full retail. I can't confirm that plan will work for you, but many here have said that's worked for them.

Personally, I'm in the EDGE program. Pay $16-30/month more for a new device, keep my unlimited data and every 12 months, get to pick a new device. Yes, you're paying $200-360 for the phone, but A- that's not much more than the 'new' price', B- you get to keep unlimited data, C- you get a new phone every 1 year, rather than 2 years with re-entering a contract and D- you were probably going to pay that much for a phone off eBay anyway if you have unlimited data. Dunno if that makes sense for someone with so many lines, but if you keep it to 1-2 lines and really need that data (like I do), then it makes perfect fiscal sense.

blueice5249

Jun 29, 2010
The 'new every two' was discontinued 2 years ago. The reason you get a new subsidized phone price is because you're re-entering into a contract with verizon... so it's like it's a new contract/line. You don't have credits and there's nothing to transfer, but if your contract is up, you can get the 'new' price. Unless you have unlimited data... you do that and they'll move you to a 'share everything' plan.

I've been told Costco will generally eat the cost of the phone, just to sell you one at the 'new' price and get the credit for your business. You keep the unlimited data and Verizon thinks you paid full retail. I can't confirm that plan will work for you, but many here have said that's worked for them.

Personally, I'm in the EDGE program. Pay $16-30/month more for a new device, keep my unlimited data and every 12 months, get to pick a new device. Yes, you're paying $200-360 for the phone, but A- that's not much more than the 'new' price', B- you get to keep unlimited data, C- you get a new phone every 1 year, rather than 2 years with re-entering a contract and D- you were probably going to pay that much for a phone off eBay anyway if you have unlimited data. Dunno if that makes sense for someone with so many lines, but if you keep it to 1-2 lines and really need that data (like I do), then it makes perfect fiscal sense.

Thanks, I may look into that if I run out of options.

Has anyone ever heard of this working? Seems like a HUGE loophole if it really works.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...nlimited-data-get-phone-subsidized-price.html

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
Has anyone ever heard of this working? Seems like a HUGE loophole if it really works.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...nlimited-data-get-phone-subsidized-price.html
That's a huge flaw in Best Buy's system if it works. Because the purchase of the new phone requires a re-entry into contract and VZ specifically has blocks on subsidized phone prices on grandfathered data plans. Not even GMs in Verizon stores can override it... I've tried.

So basically, you're placing a 3rd party order and because Best Buy can't send you a live sim card (only VZ can), you swap it for your current one and VZ is never the wiser. Clever, but tread lightly and quickly.. I can't imagine this flaw will remain open for long.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

Thanks!

I have done this many times. If the upgrade is on your unlimited data plane line, log into VZ website and transfer it to the tiered smart line. When you phone arrived, call VZ and activate on your unlimited data line.

llama555

Dec 11, 2010
I have done this many times. If the upgrade is on your unlimited data plane line, log into VZ website and transfer it to the tiered smart line. When you phone arrived, call VZ and activate on your unlimited data line.

Ive done this twice as well. I went to the store and did this. They understood what I was doing too. They didn't care. They thought it was smart. Just transfer the upgrade to a dumbline and then upgrade. Then have them activate it under ur unlimited line.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

blueice5249

Jun 29, 2010

Just a quick update for everyone:

I couldn't update because of my talk plan. Since I claimed my broken screen through Asurion, I talked them into making a "one-time" exception and sending me a brand new S4 instead of another S3. :)

I'm selling the S4 and buying a Moto X. They told me they're in and out of them. I convinced them to send me a new S4 (as a "one time" exception because of my great history).

Im going to sell the S4 and buy a Moto X.

I already convinced Motorola to send me a free case and $50 off coupon. Awesome deal! :victory::victory:

Suck it Verizon! :p

UNLIMITED FOREVER!! :laugh::highfive:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Just a quick update for everyone:

I couldn't update because of my talk plan. Since I claimed my broken screen through Asurion, I talked them into making a "one-time" exception and sending me a brand new S4 instead of another S3. :)

I'm selling the S4 and buying a Moto X. They told me they're in and out of them. I convinced them to send me a new S4 (as a "one time" exception because of my great history).

Im going to sell the S4 and buy a Moto X.

I already convinced Motorola to send me a free case and $50 off coupon. Awesome deal! :victory::victory:

Suck it Verizon! :p

UNLIMITED FOREVER!! :laugh::highfive:

Nice move! I'm jealous!
:good: