Stuck in bootloop: how to start over without losing Titanium backup data?

Search This thread

mgs333

Jan 17, 2009
California
Nexus 4 on 4.4.2 stock rooted with Xposed and Matr1x kernel.

I can get to TWRP but after wiping dalvik/cache and reflashing diff kernels (problems started after flashing a new version of a custom kernel), it either gets stuck at "Starting Apps" (after it goes through the Android is upgrading applications thing) or get stuck at the kitkat booting animation.

One time I did manage to get it booted and the Titanium Backup data was still there. I'd like to avoid doing a factory reset and lose the TiBu data and have to set up everything again and lose all my data/pics.

How can I do this?

Or alternately, how can I load a stock kernel onto the device in this condition?

[edit: this is getting worse, I had the phone plugged into my PC (to keep it charged while it's stuck in bootloop or trying to get it to work) and when I pressed the vol buttons + power button to reboot to recovery, the red light came on a couple of times, and now the screen says "Download Mode, DO NOT UNPLUG the device until the process is complete"....... Sigh.

Last edited:

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
If you can still get into twrp you can use adb pull to pull the titanium backup files off your phone. not sure where titanium backup directory is but you can pull your entire sdcard with 'adb pull /sdcard/'

After that try factory reset, if you still have problems either try flash an older version of the kernel or just flash a stock image. You should still be able to get into fastboot and flash whatever.

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Nexus 4 on 4.4.2 stock rooted with Xposed and Matr1x kernel.

I can get to TWRP but after wiping dalvik/cache and reflashing diff kernels (problems started after flashing a new version of a custom kernel), it either gets stuck at "Starting Apps" (after it goes through the Android is upgrading applications thing) or get stuck at the kitkat booting animation.

One time I did manage to get it booted and the Titanium Backup data was still there. I'd like to avoid doing a factory reset and lose the TiBu data and have to set up everything again and lose all my data/pics.

How can I do this?

Or alternately, how can I load a stock kernel onto the device in this condition?

[edit: this is getting worse, I had the phone plugged into my PC (to keep it charged while it's stuck in bootloop or trying to get it to work) and when I pressed the vol buttons + power button to reboot to recovery, the red light came on a couple of times, and now the screen says "Download Mode, DO NOT UNPLUG the device until the process is complete"....... Sigh.

Just use fastboot and flash the boot.img file. It'll replace the bad kernel with the stock one

fastboot flash boot boot.img

You can extract the boot.img from the factory image

Sent from my Nexus 5