[Q] Audio through tablet or phone?

Search This thread

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
I have not seen any specific threads addressing this, and thus far I am guessing I know the answer to my own question.. but is it possible to use my device for audio instead of my television? My specific issue is the fact that I am using an old computer monitor for my chromecast in my bedroom. It does not have HDMI, so I am using an HDMI to DVI converter (no audio). I'm fairly certain that there's no way (doubt my Nexus 7 being rooted would help) to stream the audio through my device but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks people.

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I have not seen any specific threads addressing this, and thus far I am guessing I know the answer to my own question.. but is it possible to use my device for audio instead of my television? My specific issue is the fact that I am using an old computer monitor for my chromecast in my bedroom. It does not have HDMI, so I am using an HDMI to DVI converter (no audio). I'm fairly certain that there's no way (doubt my Nexus 7 being rooted would help) to stream the audio through my device but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks people.

Not really since the CCast for all intents and purposes is pulling the file from the source and while you could probably get the mbile device to pull the same file it would be next to impossible to sync the two in any meaningful way.

Your best bet is to get a HDMI to VGA Breakout cable/box that will pull the Audio out of the HDMI so you can plug into an amp or Powered Speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-converter-Audio-Converter/dp/B003O55U8K

But if you use one of those your likely to lose the ability to play some content that requires HDCP to play (I'm thinking Netflix might require this)

Reactions: Jersey846

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
Not really since the CCast for all intents and purposes is pulling the file from the source and while you could probably get the mbile device to pull the same file it would be next to impossible to sync the two in any meaningful way.

Your best bet is to get a HDMI to VGA Breakout cable/box that will pull the Audio out of the HDMI so you can plug into an amp or Powered Speakers.

But if you use one of those your likely to lose the ability to play some content that requires HDCP to play (I'm thinking Netflix might require this)

That was an idea I had. But that looks like a VGA when the computer monitor has DVI. To get what I'd need to get sound running with the converter price wise, it'd almost make more sense just to get something that has an HDMI input. This was only a temporary method until I get married. After that we'll have plenty of devices collectively to get anything we need working on any of our televisions. I'd use my television with my Chromecast but around 4 years ago the HDMI ports were fried by the cable guy somehow. So all I have connected now is a 360 connected through component cables. If it wasn't for my Android phone and tablet I'd be in the technological stone age. ;)

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
That was an idea I had. But that looks like a VGA when the computer monitor has DVI.
You can get an HDMI audio extractor box but make sure it has the type of audio you need (analog, digital coax, or digital optical)

Some computer monitors allow audio over DVI, but it's still hit and miss.

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
You can get an HDMI audio extractor box but make sure it has the type of audio you need (analog, digital coax, or digital optical)

That'd be where I went on amazon and bought the wrong thing. I'll look them up though thanks!

Sent from my Droid Razr M using xda app-developers app

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Yeah I considered that. But with all things considered, a $40 price tag is a pretty steep alternative for what I was hoping. Maybe when Chromecast mirroring is released it will accomplish what I was hoping for.
True. That's why I didn't post the $99 one. :)
If your TV is under warranty I'd get it fixed.

Even if you got audio out of your device it would be very difficult to sync it with what's playing on Chromecast, as they'd essentially be pulling two entirely separate streams.

The same would hold for Android screen mirroring when it arrives, but that would be a delay due to having to get the screen data to Chromecast.

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC

Even if you got audio out of your device it would be very difficult to sync it with what's playing on Chromecast, as they'd essentially be pulling two entirely separate streams.

The same would hold for Android screen mirroring when it arrives, but that would be a delay due to having to get the screen data to Chromecast.

TV is fairly old and hasn't been under warranty for a while. It's a 47". Once we get married we'll be purchasing a 60" or so one. The 360 works fine with component cable on it for now. I'll be using the Chromecast with the newer TV. If I didn't have that engagement ring expense I'd already have that 60" along with my '69 Charger. She offered to help pay for it, but what's the fun in that?! ;)

Sent from my Droid Razr M using xda app-developers app

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
If I didn't have that engagement ring expense I'd already have that 60" along with my '69 Charger. She offered to help pay for it, but what's the fun in that?! ;)
:D
If we're lucky maybe Google will enable the Bluetooth so we can have some Bluetooth audio, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Now that'd be an interesting feature! Didn't think of that actually. Wouldn't they need new hardware for that like on a Chromecast 2?
Not necessarily. iFixit's teardown showed the radio is an AzureWave AW-NH387 802.11 b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth and FM Combo Module, so it's Bluetooth 3.0 capable and compatible with North American and European FM radio bands.

In theory Google could give us Chromecast FM, hehe.

The Lytro camera had similar radio capabilities which were disabled at launch. They eventually enabled the WiFi, though in an AdHoc mode, and they've pretty much written off Android support, so it was a bit of a wash to me. :(

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
That was an idea I had. But that looks like a VGA when the computer monitor has DVI. To get what I'd need to get sound running with the converter price wise, it'd almost make more sense just to get something that has an HDMI input. This was only a temporary method until I get married. After that we'll have plenty of devices collectively to get anything we need working on any of our televisions. I'd use my television with my Chromecast but around 4 years ago the HDMI ports were fried by the cable guy somehow. So all I have connected now is a 360 connected through component cables. If it wasn't for my Android phone and tablet I'd be in the technological stone age. ;)

They sell the same type of box with DVI output...So just buy the appropriate box for your connections.

You can find them for under $100 (prob around $60) but then again if your going to spend that much your probably better off just saving for a good TV which would accommodate all your devices properly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That was an idea I had. But that looks like a VGA when the computer monitor has DVI.

That'd be where I went on amazon and bought the wrong thing. I'll look them up though thanks!
    You want something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premiu...d_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=03D4CC082H41SMFNMZYT
    Yeah I considered that. But with all things considered, a $40 price tag is a pretty steep alternative for what I was hoping. Maybe when Chromecast mirroring is released it will accomplish what I was hoping for.

Now that'd be an interesting feature! Didn't think of that actually. Wouldn't they need new hardware for that like on a Chromecast 2?
    Not necessarily. iFixit's teardown showed the radio is an AzureWave AW-NH387 802.11 b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth and FM Combo Module, so it's Bluetooth 3.0 capable and compatible with North American and European FM radio bands.

In theory Google could give us Chromecast FM, hehe.

The Lytro camera had similar radio capabilities which were disabled at launch. They eventually enabled the WiFi, though in an AdHoc mode, and they've pretty much written off Android support, so it was a bit of a wash to me. :(