[Q] RAM Swap on Z1?

Search This thread

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Hey Guys,

I was just around XDA and I was reading about someone who was saying that the Ram Swap have the "opinion" to not be useful at all but someone else who complain about the ram consumption saying that Swap is needed at must if on low Ram, and that was said from Power Users on XDA.

I understand that on High-End Devices this script not have space in the first place but I want to go extreme. Why Not? :p

Like all we know we have enough Ram to share but we also know that all the latest applications and Games eat a lot of Ram and when they consume Ram in excess Android will kill all the applications in background to let other applications working well.

Let's said that 2GB of Ram (1,66GB effective) it's not much on our Z1 and probably nobody take my idea seriously but I think that after few years when huge applications will come out on our devices, hungry of ram, then you will see that maybe this will help.

So my question is if it will be possible to expand the Ram with Swap on SD to let Android not kill Applications and have more Ram (virtual and real) to share. Like 1,66 real + 1GB Swap?

Do you think it will be a good Mod? It's difficult to make it real? It will be ever available on our Z1?

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: M7ammad

bahmanxda

Dec 18, 2010
Well the Z1 only has 11gb or usable internal memory and i wouldnt want to make 1 or 2 of that useless just in case i run out of 1.7gb of ram on the device which doesnt happen very often. and the other thing is if you actually make a swap partition and manage to set it up , then when you run out of ram and device start to use the sd card or the external sd (which i think is even slower) as a ram the phone will start to run extremely slow compare to normal. i think swap partition make more sense on a linux production machines or a server when you cant afford any programme to be shut down. having said that if the mod is ever going to be availible ill probably make 500Mb swap just incase :D

B1nny

XDA Portal Team / Retired Forum Moderator
May 18, 2008
Yes it is possible to make a swap partition on the Z1, just don't bother with it. Swap is really slow, your apps won't get killed but it will take a very long time to open them again since your internal memory/sd-card is that much slower than the RAM in your device.

You could try messing around with the Android minfree settings but other than that, deal with it. Try searching on Google for some tutorials on customizing your minfree settings.

Reactions: eclyptos

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys,

I was just around XDA and I was reading about someone who was saying that the Ram Swap have the "opinion" to not be useful at all but someone else who complain about the ram consumption saying that Swap is needed at must if on low Ram, and that was said from Power Users on XDA.

I understand that on High-End Devices this script not have space in the first place but I want to go extreme. Why Not? :p

Like all we know we have enough Ram to share but we also know that all the latest applications and Games eat a lot of Ram and when they consume Ram in excess Android will kill all the applications in background to let other applications working well.

Let's said that 2GB of Ram (1,66GB effective) it's not much on our Z1 and probably nobody take my idea seriously but I think that after few years when huge applications will come out on our devices, hungry of ram, then you will see that maybe this will help.

So my question is if it will be possible to expand the Ram with Swap on SD to let Android not kill Applications and have more Ram (virtual and real) to share. Like 1,66 real + 1GB Swap?

Do you think it will be a good Mod? It's difficult to make it real? It will be ever available on our Z1?

:D
    Yes it is possible to make a swap partition on the Z1, just don't bother with it. Swap is really slow, your apps won't get killed but it will take a very long time to open them again since your internal memory/sd-card is that much slower than the RAM in your device.

You could try messing around with the Android minfree settings but other than that, deal with it. Try searching on Google for some tutorials on customizing your minfree settings.