Weird issue with Froyo ringtones (DK17 ANY rom)

Search This thread

thedevilslettucemd

Jun 6, 2010
I have noticed that after removing the stock apps that are normally safe to remove, mp3 ringtones start causing force closes (when trying to save settings). This is also happening to me on both quantum and viper. I did a trial and error and it seems the problem may be tied to drm o_O. How is this possible if that file was safe to remove in 2.1? I could also be wrong about the problematic apk, the problem takes a little while to manifest itself so I can't tell 100% for sure which apk breaks it.

DiNoise

Oct 12, 2007
NorCal
I think it is DRM, I had problems with it in 2.1 so I decided not to remove it but just kill the process when I reboot.

thedevilslettucemd

Jun 6, 2010
I never had a problem in 2.1. It seems removing the the service apk is okay though :)). Seems the culprit is indeed DrmUA.apk. All the devs should note this.

Aluminous

Jan 26, 2008
Seoul
I've encountered this same problem, only it started before DK17 (~DK05 I think). No problems removing DRM APKs on 2.1, but on 2.2 mp3 ringtones caused forcecloses. Even opening the same file with the music player (not in the settings app) forceclosed. The problem went away when I reinstalled the SisoDrmProvider apk, the DrmUA one didn't seem to be necessary, nor did it seem necessary to have any drm services running.

I wonder if froyo handles data for removed application differently than eclair... On eclair, I heard of some people being able to remove the DRM APKs as long as they didn't clear the data (I always forgot), perhaps froyo deletes the data when the DRM APKs are removed?

Last edited:

thedevilslettucemd

Jun 6, 2010
So DrmUA isn't neccesary for you, but SisoDrmProvider is? Weird.. I'm on stock (with my own modifications of course) and i removed siso but not drmua and have had no problems. Very very strange.