[Script] Safe bloat removal script (50+ apps) [UPDATED 9/1/2011]

Search This thread

magicelf

Apr 30, 2010
I realize this question may sound dumb but we have to be rooted to use script?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

wootizzle

Aug 28, 2011
Washington, DC
I'm still new to all of this but I'm having an issue with running the script. It says ScriptManager has super user access.. But once I go through the optional services to save or kill I get:
: bad numberfailed on "MyVerizon.apk" - Read only file system
: bad numberreboot: operation not permitted

BatterseaPS

Apr 16, 2009
I'm freezing these manually using Titanium Backup Pro, but some of them have a different display name from their filename. Can I look at filenames somehow using Titanium?

psouza4

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
I'm freezing these manually using Titanium Backup Pro, but some of them have a different display name from their filename. Can I look at filenames somehow using Titanium?
Kind of. Select one of the apps and choose to uninstall it. Since it's a system app, it'll prompt you to confirm. The confirmation window shows the package filename. Click 'no' to not uninstall the app. Be careful doing this so you don't accidentally uninstall something. Most of the system apps don't included a classes.dex and just use an .odex instead. Titanium backup can't restore these kinds of packages.

BatterseaPS

Apr 16, 2009
Thanks! I actually had to do a backup of each app before I was able to get that yes/no option. I'm still having trouble finding these:

BlurHome2.apk
BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk
Conversations.apk
FriendFeed.apk
IndexingService.apk
Preloaded.apk
VSuiteApp.apk (I have all the other Verizon ones)

If anyone knows how they show up in Titanium, let me know.

Thanks again for all the work.

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
Thanks! I actually had to do a backup of each app before I was able to get that yes/no option. I'm still having trouble finding these:

BlurHome2.apk
BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk
Conversations.apk
FriendFeed.apk
IndexingService.apk
Preloaded.apk
VSuiteApp.apk (I have all the other Verizon ones)

If anyone knows how they show up in Titanium, let me know.

Thanks again for all the work.

BlurHome2.apk: Homescreen 1.0.0.106
BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk: Social Messaging Service 2.3.4
Conversations.apk: Text Messaging 2.3.4
FriendFeed.apk: Social Networking 2.3.4
IndexingSerivce.apk: MOTOBLUR Indexing Service 2.3.4
Preloaded.apk: Preset 1.0
VSuiteApp.apk: Voice Commands

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
Yep. Apparently I'm blind.. Tho once I did enable it to run as root it said bad number 3 times and then my phone rebooted. Sooo? lol
Did you edit the script at all? If so, you probably killed the unix-style line endings (Notepad will do this, use Notepad++ or edit the script on the device directly using the long-press option in Root Explorer).

wootizzle

Aug 28, 2011
Washington, DC
Did you edit the script at all? If so, you probably killed the unix-style line endings (Notepad will do this, use Notepad++ or edit the script on the device directly using the long-press option in Root Explorer).

No sir. I did not edit it. I don't know this type of development. I downloaded to pc and transferred to my phone and ran it.

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
No sir. I did not edit it. I don't know this type of development. I downloaded to pc and transferred to my phone and ran it.
It apparently doesn't like the redirection to /dev/null for some reason on your phone when mounting your /system as rw.

If you have Root Explorer on your phone, launch it, navigate to /system, and click the 'RW' button at the top to mount your /system as 'RW'. Then try the script.

wootizzle

Aug 28, 2011
Washington, DC
Im going to do that now... I just noticed my app draw is different some how now. Right now root explorer is mia from the draw..
It apparently doesn't like the redirection to /dev/null for some reason on your phone when mounting your /system as rw.

If you have Root Explorer on your phone, launch it, navigate to /system, and click the 'RW' button at the top to mount your /system as 'RW'. Then try the script.

androidphan88

Mar 11, 2011
So i seem to be experiancing the same bad number issue

I tried the using root explorer to mount /system as read write but same issue, it says badnumber and reboots there is something after the bad number but the phone reboots so fast i cant read it before it shuts off

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
So i seem to be experiancing the same bad number issue

I tried the using root explorer to mount /system as read write but same issue, it says badnumber and reboots there is something after the bad number but the phone reboots so fast i cant read it before it shuts off
Try editing the script (on the device using Root Explorer and long-press to edit). Delete all occurrences of "2>/dev/null" which is supposed to suppress the results of a command, but is apparently causing issues on some devices. Perhaps you have a different version of busybox installed.

Once you fix and save the script, try it again. If you do this under Windows, make sure you use Notepad++ or it'll destroy the unix-style line endings and won't run properly.

wootizzle

Aug 28, 2011
Washington, DC
I think it worked but didn't think it did. Under titanium a bunch of apps are crossed out (I created a full back up b4 doing this) including city id which I have a subscription for and I know I didn't disable it. So I'm not sure. I got root explorer uncrossed but didn't rerun it.

androidphan88

Mar 11, 2011
so i removed all of the dev/null and then it just failed out on all of the actions

even made sure to mount /system as RW. Is there anything i can add to the end of the script to pause before it reboots.

So i then took the reboot out of the end of the scipt. It is saying there is no such file or directory on all actions

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
so i removed all of the dev/null and then it just failed out on all of the actions

even made sure to mount /system as RW. Is there anything i can add to the end of the script to pause before it reboots.

So i then took the reboot out of the end of the scipt. It is saying there is no such file or directory on all actions
You are running this script ON YOUR DEVICE, correct? You're not trying to run this from a bash shell on your computer, are you? It was written for the phone itself, such as using Script Manager or another app to launch it.

Could you attach your version of the script post-edits?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's been a lot of speculation on what can and can't be removed as well as how to remove them without causing force-closes, boot loops, and other headaches. So I wrote this script that will let you disable all of the bloat with none of the hassle.

After a few prompts to find out if there's anything you want to keep that can't be replaced in the market, it will do its magic -- renaming files to a .bak extension so they are no longer recognized by Android. This will cause some system services to fail and force-close loop until you reboot (and the script reboots for you). Also included is a script that will undo all of this.

If you select every option, including the default launcher and text messaging apps (which are confirmed safe to remove without losing SMS or MMS ability or push notifications), then here's the list of apps removed:

AdService.apk, android-syncservice-app.apk, ArcVideoEditorLite.apk, BackupAssistanceClient.apk, Blockbuster.apk, BlurHome2.apk, BlurSNMessagingEngine.apk, BlurTasks.apk, BlurUpdater_VZW.apk, BooksPhone.apk, CitrixReceiver.apk, CityID.apk, Conversations.apk, DLNA.apk, DlnaSystemService.apk, FriendFeed.apk, gotomeeting-stub-1.0.74.apk, GuidedTours.apk, HelpCenter.apk, IMPresence.apk, IndexingService.apk, Kindle.apk, MessagesWidget.apk, Messaging.apk, MOTOPRINT.apk, MSExchangeService.apk, MyVerizon.apk, NewBayVault_4.2.99.36.Market.apk, NFLMobile.apk, OnlineAlbum.apk, PhotoEditor.apk, PortalStandAlone.apk, Preloaded.apk, RichLocationVzW.apk, SkypeBourbon.apk, Slackerradio.apk, SocialMessaging.apk, SocialShare.apk, StatusWidget.apk, SuggestionsProvider.apk, SuggestionsRuleCheckerCore.apk, SuggestionsServiceScheduler.apk, Swype.apk, ToggleWidgets.apk, UniversalInbox.apk, Upgrader.apk, VCAST_TONES_4_5_7.apk, VCASTMusic.apk, VCASTVideo.apk, VSuiteApp.apk, vzw_vnav_DROID3_rel_PROD_signed.apk, VZWIM.apk, VZWInstaller.apk, WeatherWidget.apk, ZumoCast_1.0.17.apk

Make sure you run these scripts using Script Manager or a comparable app and be sure to enable it to run as root or it won't have permission to make changes to /system/app.

This is version 1 of the scripts -- if any of the apps removed wind up causing problems or more are found, I'll add it to the list. I've tested the scripts back and forth myself and have tested it as much as I can without finding any issues. Also, some apps are removed without asking, such as ZumoCast or VCAST or NFL Mobile. You can find these apps in the market, so there's no point keeping them locked down in system.

Enjoy! Comments are welcome.

UPDATE 9/1/2011: fixed a typo in one of the variables (thanks everyone who reported this), added more options to keep (Swype and Car Dock Voice Commands), split into two versions -- one for the stock 5.5.959 build and 5.6.890 update (late August OTA), added a warning about removing the home screen without a launcher and that it removes the Calendar widget.
    removing the following apps breaks HDMI mirroring

DLNA.apk
    DlnaSystemService.apk
    PortalStandAlone.apk

To restore HDMI mirroring, rename these files back to their original name. This should fix HDMI. All credit to pedwards3x at Rootzwiki for this information.

Confirmed. I had to reboot afterwards, but it's all fixed.

Also, HDMI out works with a DVI converter I bought too.
    Great, but maybe it would be nice to make a y/n option for each .apk where it asks you if you want to delete that apk
    You shouldn't delete them -- we don't have an SPF yet. Someone posted the complete /system/app contents and you could restore, technically, manually, but it's a bad idea. Renaming to a .bak is completely effective.

instructions for use?
    Read the post. ;)

You'll want to use Script Manager -- unzip the two scripts to your SD card (internal or external), launch Script Manager (free version is fine), find the script and click it, then tick on 'root' and then run the script. Follow the prompts from there.
    script manager that you use?
    I use script manager and asked me if I want to remove each apk or not.
    There is a script manager that does everything automatically?
    thanks for the answer
    Please read the thread thoroughly -- I'm going to ignore obvious questions like these. :p
    Well captain assumption that is true but someone adapted it for bionic in another thread. 1 or 2 s Differences only. So i figured id ask if this worked for anyone else on ics as it sits to see if it was an ics issue. and if there were any diff on ics vs gb and what those were so i can compare and contrast your findings. I am flattered that you had enough time to look at my posts.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

Sometimes you just gotta look to find information that isn't presented to you (also you can find your posts with about 2 clicks :p ).

1. On topic, unfortunately since the D3 isn't getting "official" ICS like the Bionic someone will have to adapt the script again since the D3's ICS is a custom ROM and already debloated.
    2. You'd be best off finding the person who adapted it in the 1st place in the Bionic Dev section.
    3. That or just use a custom Bionic ROM which is debloated 99% of the time OR use the provided list and freeze with TiBu.