The OUYA console... is it doomed? Inquiring minds want to know...

Do you plan to purchase a OUYA gaming console?

• Yes.

Votes: 213 47.9%
  • No.

Votes: 107 24.0%
  • Haven't decided.

Votes: 125 28.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

bwild

Mar 9, 2011
They have said a usb hard drive can be connected to increase storage. Shouldn't that suffice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
That is for media storage, unless they have altered the framework of JB to allow external app storage. Very doubtful.

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
The fact is is that they are calling it a gaming colsole. Well its not. Not without a proper gpu. 12 cores is nothing. My Radeon 7770 in my computer has over 400 cores. Also the one in the xbox has over 100 cores I think. It is not a gaming console without a powerful gpu. Its just an android emulator. Thats it.

What you said there is really ignorant. Firstly, consoles don't have powerful GPU's. The ps4 is going to have a 7850, which is an older mid range card. It will also have a 1.8ghz MOBILE cpu. (not arm, but mobile x86) Clearly neither of these are high end powerful chips. Also, and this is the real kicker here, you don't even have a good video card. the 7770 is basically the 5770 with better heat capabilities. i would refrain from saying things as if they were fact, without actually knowing anything about them.

the ouya, with be a very powerful android gaming device. It will not be limited to the currently hardware heat/power requirements that android devices have. Therefor the cpu/gpu by default will be far more powerful than your typical android device.

ooBONGoo

Apr 3, 2013
In my opinion,

The Ouya is the first android based console being released to the market. Even with the news of the GTV, the gamestick, etc. etc., OUYA will be the first android console.. They will have that distinction. As far as the OUYA having much impact? I don't think so. It's competing in a niche' market where for a while, it'll only have to compete with itself. If my nexus 7 had hdmi support, I doubt I'd even touch the OUYA. Everything I liked about the OUYA, I already have the capabilities with my tablet, minus the hdmi. The only thing I'm mainly interested in is the root capabilities... we know why people root their phones & tablets and some of the benefits that comes with it, but what about the OUYA? What function will a rooted console do other than warez & pirating of games?

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

That is for media storage, unless they have altered the framework of JB to allow external app storage. Very doubtful.

That's what worries me. Really need to know if OUYA will allow for external storage of app installation. With the size of some of these android games, it's a no brainer to allow external app storage.

philfrommancs

Aug 28, 2008
Not quite sure what your point is there.... 1 year... 1 device.... If we are talking about time it took to get to market then it's pretty impressive when you think about where it started from.
You say it's a joke... Care to elaborate???

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

kenofstephen

Dec 6, 2011
In my opinion,

The Ouya is the first android based console being released to the market. Even with the news of the GTV, the gamestick, etc. etc., OUYA will be the first android console.. They will have that distinction. As far as the OUYA having much impact? I don't think so. It's competing in a niche' market where for a while, it'll only have to compete with itself. If my nexus 7 had hdmi support, I doubt I'd even touch the OUYA. Everything I liked about the OUYA, I already have the capabilities with my tablet, minus the hdmi. The only thing I'm mainly interested in is the root capabilities... we know why people root their phones & tablets and some of the benefits that comes with it, but what about the OUYA? What function will a rooted console do other than warez & pirating of games?

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

That's what worries me. Really need to know if OUYA will allow for external storage of app installation. With the size of some of these android games, it's a no brainer to allow external app storage.

ya, 1st device of everything always failed, look at the history... such as the 1st tablet, the 1st laptop...:eek:

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Not quite sure what your point is there.... 1 year... 1 device.... If we are talking about time it took to get to market then it's pretty impressive when you think about where it started from.
You say it's a joke... Care to elaborate???

their CEO said they will release new OUYA hardware every year.:confused:
then I would prefer a PS4 to play at least 5 yrs.:good:

philfrommancs

Aug 28, 2008
But surely that doesn't mean you have to upgrade.. It does how ever give you the option to....
I'm sure most people wouldn't upgrade their PlayStation's if it was available each year but equally some would relish the opportunity of keeping their machine cutting edge. Are you saying that's a bad idea... Giving people the option of Keeping their Ouya current ???/

petedaddi

Aug 11, 2011
Leeds
I thought they were just saying the software would be updated yearly not the actual unit.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

suicidal.banana

Jul 20, 2008
I backed the OUYA in its first days with good hope, but during the kickstarter campaign more and more cracks started showing, now they've hit a point where it just seems to go from bad to worse, to name a few;
- No more free to play, only free to try, aka if you want your game to be free, OUYA still wants money.
- Mandatory CC details, but no parental options, or even visible prices in the store.. Apart from the fact alot of people simply dont like this idea, one cant help but think about the 'recent' hacks with Sony & Steam, and OUYA doesnt even carry the proper security licenses to deal with CC details, let alone force you to save them, also real fancy how they vaguely mentioned this a few days before sending out backer units.
- Shipping will take a few months, the people that shelled out more for limited edition and/or extra controllers are pushed to the end of the line, great stuff, especially because this also wasn't mentioned earlier (march would be when every backer would get theirs, now it looks like 40% still wont have theirs by the end of june.)
- There was an uproar about the controller when the dev version was sent out, they claimed they fixed it, exact same uproar has come from all the sites that reviewed a backer unit, OUYA claims they will fix it, apart from the fact i think its a downright lie, im not to pleased to find out they know of these issues, yet send me a limited backer exclusive console with those issues..

Overal, i was just super stoked to find an OUYA section on XDA, cant wait to flash some proper working firmware, either a spinoff of OUYA's or a new one, at least the device will be used to its potential now.
Im still happy i backed it btw, how else would they've been able to release it, but all of the above has left me with a nasty taste, the way things look now i wont be running the OUYA as-is for long, however i still have some hope for a decent bit of firmware to be available in June.

DrROBschiz

Sep 21, 2011
I think its important for Android Devs to pick it up and make better software/Custom Roms for it

From What I hear

The Ouya software has a lot of issues despite being simple and easy on the eyes.

It fails to deliver on Set Top Box potential in its current state based on all the current reviews

However it is an android device with solid hardware. If some Devs give it some life it could be a pretty darn good cord cutting alternative to more limiting devices like Apple TV without requiring the Money and Know How to setup a Raspberry Pi or HTPC (with frontend loaders) respectively.

I am a bit worried at how dead the XDA board is right now but i think that is mostly due to the fact that most people dont have their OUYA yet and I would be very surprised if any XDA devs dropped 500+ for a dev console

timkd127

Nov 20, 2012
Poughkeepsie
For the most part anything anyone is going to say on this topic is opinion and speculation. It's impossible to say what is going to happen to a product until it hits shelves. The originial XBOX was said to be "doomed" by quite a few sources, which obviously ended up not being the case. If the right game, or app, or some other piece of software comes out that creates a solid user base and draws the attention of more developers to the device it could do just fine.

Paulenski

Mar 28, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I have my Ouya, my intentions were not just to have an little gaming console but something that is an Mutlimedia Console. I know a lot of people who aren't getting it for the gaming but because of it's small form factor, hdmi out, usb(usb hubs do work to expand, I've tested with USB storage, keyboard, mouse, SNES usb controller, all worked on 1 hub expansion), ethernet, built in wifi/bluetooth, you can do basically what most tablets/phones do but tie that into a home-user experience.

I wanted to be able to watch my collection of movies and TV shows over DLNA or UPNP. (Tested with XBMC, works good, need to do the DTS ffmpeg custom audio codec setup with XMBC)

I wanted to be able to play classic SNES, NES, Sega, N64 games on a big TV. (Already have 800+ SNES, 2k+ Nes, 100+ N64, 500+ Sega. Only SNES has been tested to work great with SNES9X emu)

I want to watch YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll on this thing too, but some of those apps have been said they were making Ouya verisons. (Netflix and Crunchyroll work with just plain sideloading, not optimized for TV tho, like UI wise, videos look fine tho. YouTube needs google service framework to work and I can't get it working correctly. I'm an novice when it comes to identifying logcat error.)

If you guys haven't noticed, this forum is pretty dead or very low discussion about games and other development, but at http://ouyaforum.com/forum.php , there are some pretty amazing games people are making and much more discussion about the console. I think XDA won't play an factor until we can secure an safe flash recovery(soonish) and we need kernel source to be able to make more customized ROMS.

Reactions: sonofskywalker3

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
IMO, I think the Ouya will be a commercial failure and also be challenged to generate revenue in their market model. To most people, one market is enough, and will not want apps that work on just one device.

For tinkerers and similar types it will be a hit, but not enough to keep it going as intended. JMO.

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
This question is simply not answerable yet. The hardware has potential to be amazing, but it's the software that is holding it back. I know Ouya isn't making much money off the hardware, so they are going to be relying on their cut of the software revenue to remain profitable. They have made the console open, so with some developer interest theres a lot of things it will be able to do. But no matter how great the hacks for it will ever be, it's still not a selling point for 95% of consumers. If Ouya gets more software, official versions of 5 star games, video streaming apps, and social networking platforms, it is priced to beat out Google TV and Apple TV both, and would be a fantastic buy for, say, grandparents who want something for their grandkids to play when they come visit, but don't want to drop $250 on a Wii U, and then still buy games at $50 a piece.

Until closer to/after launch I doubt we'll see much in the way of software library improvements, but I do think that very soon we will be able to sideload a working version of most apps, so if you're a hacker, this is a magic box, if you're a standard consumer... well, for now save your money.

jack_slapped

Jan 6, 2009
I don't have one but want to get one. It would be a great multi media center and retro gaming machine. I feel that if it turns out to be a functional/affordable media center it could definitely become very marketable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

coachclass

Jun 18, 2011
I have my Ouya, my intentions were not just to have an little gaming console but something that is an Mutlimedia Console. I know a lot of people who aren't getting it for the gaming but because of it's small form factor, hdmi out, usb

That's why I'm interested in the Ouya. If you look at it as a gaming console, it might be lacking. But if you're looking for a low powered family friendly HTPC that runs hardware graphics supported XBMC, it's definitely promising.

For comparison, the other Android PC devices in market are all backed by Chinese companies with very little quality control and support. The Android sticks cost between $40 and $100, but don't have ethernet jacks, meaning when you start microwaving your popcorn you'd interrupt the movie. The Andoid boxes in the market, like the highly rated G-box Midnight, are dual-core 1GB devices, and cost about $100. They don't come with the nifty Ouya controller that has a built in touch pad.

So, for the same price as one of the top Android boxes, the Ouya gives you a game controller, quad-core vs. dual-core CPU, and a US based company that has a bit more momentum, so hopefully better product reliability and support. If there's a market for Roku and Apple TV, there's a market for Ouya. It looks like it has the ease-of-use for the everyday consumer, but can also be more versatile for those wanting to put in some time.

The only downside is that Ouya has an incentive to keep the system locked to its own market. Despite being touted as being very hackable, I haven't seen anyone install pure Android on it yet. I would like to have the regular android desktop so I can make use of informational widgets, run the apps I've already brought from the play store, and not be tied down to using the Ouya just as a gaming platform.

But I also don't think the Ouya is limited to those with a large media library and NAS setup. There's a market for Roku-like and Apple TV devices. The Ouya is like Roku and Apple TV, but does a lot more.

Last edited:

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Still can't help to think that releasing this late with a Tegra 3 is a negative and the exclusive market will turn a lot of current Android users off. Most will assume they can put apps on all their other devices.

I understand the chip choice was cost and the proprietary market is their money model, but most consumers will not care about those dynamics.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've already got a Viewsonic G Tablet set up upstairs as a media center with HBO Go and Netflix, I dump 720p movies on the microsd card and have all my NES, SNES, Master System and Genesis games on there.
    I love it.
    Problem is I hate moving the dock and cables every time I want to put it downstairs for the kids to play games or watch movies.
    I paid $350 total for my Gtab, dock and a Bluetooth game controller.
    A Roku box that only does video streaming is $100.
    Ouya is $99 and ships with a controller and is MEANT to connect to a tv!
    Hell yeah I'm getting one!
    I can leave my tablet upstairs, leave the little cube tucked away, and enjoy my movies, shows and games two different places without the fuss.

Look, I've got a pretty beefy PC I play my big boy games on like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim, and all the nieces and nephews don't care is its Super Mario World, NBA Jam, or the latest greatest console games, and honestly I prefer retro gaming most of the time myself anyways. I can't help it, I grew up on Atari, Intellivision, Nintendo and Sega. Nostalgia is a very powerful thing.
    Graphics on mobile devices happen to be moving along fast, I've seen some Square RPGs and a few sports games that look on par to the PS2.
    Look, it's all fun and games anyways.
    If you like the concept, buy one, if you don't care for it, avoid it.
    I think best case scenario they can hope for is becoming a niche platform for android-nerds. Why? Because there is no market for such device. Casual gamers are quite happy with what they get from smartphone industry and PC-facebook-gaming stuff. More hard-core gamers will want bleeding-edge graphics and high-end performance. Without any real GPU on board OUYA will just stay behind. From the software standpoint, Android is a great system but, with sandboxing and multitasking environment, it is not very well prepared for running performance-demanding games.

But still.. I think I will buy it.
    It seems interesting and I do want to have one but I kinda want to see what games it gets first before buying, if it doesn't have anything that'll interest me then it would be a waste.
    First, I was an earlier KS backer.

Those who have order one by now, release this is not meant necessarily to complete with an Xbox or Playstation. They're going after a slightly different gaming market.

The problem I see with Ouya is that it can be a bit of redundant machine. What does it do that can't be done with a decent smartphone? You may need a rooted phone, but one can hook up a controller, connect to a TV. It's more the mobile game developers adding in controller support. That said, talk about annoying trying up your phone to play games. Having to hook up the phone to the TV every time.

But I think it could be a nice entry point for small game developers to get into the livingroom. New developers to try to get into the market without going broke or closing the doors if a game fails. Allow gamer to fiddle with their consoles.

On the positive side, if the Wii can find success, maybe there is a room for something like the Ouya too. The Wii showed, if it's fun to play, a cheap machine can make it.

---------- Post added at 04:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

Plus with announcement it's going to be sold a Target, Bestbuy, Amazon and a few other stores, will help with getting numbers sold, which can help bring some of the bigger game developers to the platform.
    I have my Ouya, my intentions were not just to have an little gaming console but something that is an Mutlimedia Console. I know a lot of people who aren't getting it for the gaming but because of it's small form factor, hdmi out, usb(usb hubs do work to expand, I've tested with USB storage, keyboard, mouse, SNES usb controller, all worked on 1 hub expansion), ethernet, built in wifi/bluetooth, you can do basically what most tablets/phones do but tie that into a home-user experience.

I wanted to be able to watch my collection of movies and TV shows over DLNA or UPNP. (Tested with XBMC, works good, need to do the DTS ffmpeg custom audio codec setup with XMBC)

I wanted to be able to play classic SNES, NES, Sega, N64 games on a big TV. (Already have 800+ SNES, 2k+ Nes, 100+ N64, 500+ Sega. Only SNES has been tested to work great with SNES9X emu)

I want to watch YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll on this thing too, but some of those apps have been said they were making Ouya verisons. (Netflix and Crunchyroll work with just plain sideloading, not optimized for TV tho, like UI wise, videos look fine tho. YouTube needs google service framework to work and I can't get it working correctly. I'm an novice when it comes to identifying logcat error.)

If you guys haven't noticed, this forum is pretty dead or very low discussion about games and other development, but at http://ouyaforum.com/forum.php , there are some pretty amazing games people are making and much more discussion about the console. I think XDA won't play an factor until we can secure an safe flash recovery(soonish) and we need kernel source to be able to make more customized ROMS.