Open ports on the phone help needed REAL BAD!!!

Search This thread

mtdurham

Jan 30, 2014
I need to be able to access my FTP server from the Internet but all ports are closed.

My Bionic is my only connection to the Internet for my home network. I am using the Verizon Hotspot app and from my home network I can do anything I want to. This connectivity is great.

However, when away from home I need to access my FTP server on ports 21, 8080, and 443. I am using CrushFTP as my server. I have configured no-ip and from within CrushFTP it passes the built-in no-ip connectivity test, Thus my FTP server is reaching no-ip just fine. I check my IP that Google says I have against a ping to mydomain.no-ip.biz and the both match. But when I do a Sheilds-Up port scan, ALL ports are in stealth mode.

Next I loaded Port Forwarder on the phone and tried every connection to my laptop but still no luck. BTW, I connected the laptop directly to the hotspot taking out all routers and switches of my home network. Same results. The firewall is OFF on the laptop.

Then I downloaded a port scanner onto the pone. When I scan the phone's public IP, 70.201.1.55 port 21, 8080 etc are closed. So i tried scanning port 21 on my laptop's IP, 192.168.44.149 and it said OPEN. This proves the problem is not the laptop rather the phone.

After long talks with Verizon they assure me that they are not blocking inbound ports. I believe them because my neighbor has both a Bionic and a 3G hotspot stick. When he tries to get to his IP camera with the Bionic it fails. But if he connects his 3G stick, he CAN get to his camera.

I am willing to pay someone to get the Bionic to work! Or, if you know of a different phone that can do what I need to do, PLEASE PLEASE tell me. I cannot stress how important this is to me.

Thank You for reading.

Wheelman6969

Nov 28, 2008
Well it turns out that although Verizon does not block ports, your 4G phone in NATed and thus easily connecting from the Internet back to your system is not possible. Apps like LovMeIn do work just fine. But if you are trying to connect back to an FTP server, IP camera, etc, you cannot.

However, I was able to get me needs met by signing up for one of those VPN solutions AND getting a public IP from them too. I choose PureVPN and it is costing me $74/year for the service. I have a Microsoft Server 2003 running under VMware where my FTP server runs. I loaded the VPN client on the MS server and I can not access my FTP server from the Internet. I did setup the firewall for added protection.

Please note that your system will be fully accessible to anyone unless you set up a good firewall and block all um-necessary open ports. I put this server under VMware and it only runs the FTP server program for additional protection.

Good Luck!