Rooting and warranty

Search This thread

bleedink

Oct 24, 2012
San Francisco
Recently rooted my device and restored OS before sending in for RMA. Somehow Sony knew that the tablet had been altered and didn't allow me to get fixed. Does anyone know the proper steps to restore to warrantable shape? Seems that dual recovery lingers after a restore. Afraid to root now and kill the warranty on my other tablet. Can anyone comment?

Sent from my SGP511 using XDA Free mobile app

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Recently rooted my device and restored OS before sending in for RMA. Somehow Sony knew that the tablet had been altered and didn't allow me to get fixed. Does anyone know the proper steps to restore to warrantable shape? Seems that dual recovery lingers after a restore. Afraid to root now and kill the warranty on my other tablet. Can anyone comment?

When you say "restored os", do you mean to say you reflashed a stock ftf rom? If so, when you unlocked bootloader in the beginning, did you backup your "DMA" codes first so you could restore them later?

Flashing a stock ftf room should overwrite your custom recovery, at least my understanding anyhow.

bleedink

Oct 24, 2012
San Francisco
I backed up keys but didn't restore because of glass damage. I was under the impression doing a restore would overwrite all. Perhaps not.

bleedink

Oct 24, 2012
San Francisco
I see. So if I root and the tablet has broken glass or digitizer I'd be out of luck. At least that tells me how to do it after warranty is up. The screen has broke so many times I'm scared to void my extended warranty now. The old one is a brick now. I guess I'll have to live without. It mostly allowed me to unlock with nfc and ad block so not too much.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I see. So if I root and the tablet has broken glass or digitizer I'd be out of luck. At least that tells me how to do it after warranty is up. The screen has broke so many times I'm scared to void my extended warranty now. The old one is a brick now. I guess I'll have to live without. It mostly allowed me to unlock with nfc and ad block so not too much.

There used to be an app available, that would allow a windows GUI for devices that had broken/dead digitizers. Basically it ran via USB connection. Not sure if it would help you in this case though.

As far as returns, and a rooted tablet, this would probably depend on the service center you sent it to. Most of them will service a rooted tablet if you press the issue and argue your point. Especially seeings a cracked display has nothing to do with the root.
Hope you get it sorted.

bleedink

Oct 24, 2012
San Francisco
I had to buy another tab as they won't service anything that has altered software even if you want to pay. Scared me enough to not root the new one. I agree with one having nothing to do with the other but in Laredo that's how they see things. Disappointed as they seem developer friendly, until warranty that is.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I had to buy another tab as they won't service anything that has altered software even if you want to pay. Scared me enough to not root the new one. I agree with one having nothing to do with the other but in Laredo that's how they see things. Disappointed as they seem developer friendly, until warranty that is.

Well, that definitely sucks mate. I think it may just depend on service center. Well, as a good thing, as the tab gets a little older, you will find some available on E-Bay that you can used for parts. I suppose most will be bricked devices.

Have you tried researching the part number for a glass/digitizer? Sometimes you can find these as they pretty much all come from china. Usually we try to find the tablets service manual, (as in the case of Acer tablets) and get the part number.

bleedink

Oct 24, 2012
San Francisco
Yeah I'm just going to keep unrooted until warranty runs out. Way too much for a paperweight. I may fix the old one but already bought a new one figuring they must do some things for water proofing and such making it not so easy. If I could find something that works without digitizer...last time I was stuck on wrong screen to navigate. Appreciate the advice/information.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Yeah I'm just going to keep unrooted until warranty runs out. Way too much for a paperweight. I may fix the old one but already bought a new one figuring they must do some things for water proofing and such making it not so easy. If I could find something that works without digitizer...last time I was stuck on wrong screen to navigate. Appreciate the advice/information.

Hey, not being one to give up so easily. If that broken tab still boots, you can probably use this
http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...n-screen-from-the-comfort-of-your-windows-pc/

Might be able to re-flash a stock ftf rom.

bleedink

Oct 24, 2012
San Francisco
The part where you select language is right where the screen is broke. Since it doesn't auto rotate you can't get past first screen to turn on USB debugging and the like. Its a wash as they have already voided the warranty. The worst is they won't even let you pay to repair it. Good thing in case I might need again. I don't forsee losing warranty for root though. Too expensive to play around. If nfc worked while screen locked I wouldn't really use root. Or not much.