Verizon Note II + uNeak Kernel, voodoo sound

Search This thread

redrol

Dec 30, 2010
So after trying literally every kernel that was labeled as being compatible with the Note II for Verizon and finding out that Voodoo Sound/Boeffla/Wolfson control was broken I decided to try the uNeak kernel for the international Note II.

First off the uNeak kernel does work fine! As far as I can tell everything works including GPS, 4G, and most importantly voodoo sound/boeffla.

The uNeak Engine app controls the voodoo sound implementation and actually works with all the features unlike every other kernel I have tried.

In order to have the Note II sound like the original Galaxy S w/voodoo sound you have to use the hardware EQ within the uNeak engine app. The key thing here is do not raise the eq sliders 0db. If you do so the output goes into saturation and sounds crappy.

Also the Output saturation preventer works but causes volume pumping that is highly annoying. Make sure and turn it to OFF. The original Voodoo Sound used to use this (I think) but it doesn't pump the volume during quiet passages so I don't know what the difference is in implementation. Needless to say it does not work like Voodoo Sound original so disable it.

With these tweaks the Note II finally sounds nearly the same as Voodoo Sound + Galaxy S.

If anyone has anything to add to this, PLEASE post. This issue has been driving me nuts since I stopped using my Galaxy S (fascinate) with Voodoo Sound.. the best music experience I have ever had on any device/player.

:cool:

Reactions: dsteinschneider

dsteinschneider

Hi Redrol,

Thanks, your post came just as I was revisiting audio options for my Verizon Note II which I've run stock/rooted since Oct 2012. I finally decided to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP and try some other ROMs. I used Viper4Android previously which helped with low volume and had some interesting settings like the Haas effect and is a great solution for people who are stock/rooted. I've been listening for about an hour with just the NEAK kernel and your recommended settings in the NEAK engine app. The Note II is pushing even my quietest headphones to satisfying volume levels and sounds great.

DarkChylde-QC

Apr 22, 2011
Hi Redrol,

Thanks, your post came just as I was revisiting audio options for my Verizon Note II which I've run stock/rooted since Oct 2012. I finally decided to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP and try some other ROMs. I used Viper4Android previously which helped with low volume and had some interesting settings like the Haas effect and is a great solution for people who are stock/rooted. I've been listening for about an hour with just the NEAK kernel and your recommended settings in the NEAK engine app. The Note II is pushing even my quietest headphones to satisfying volume levels and sounds great.

You guys are using this kernel on 4.3 ROMs?

samsneed69

Jun 24, 2010
Which kernel is compatible with i605?
Could someone be more specific?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So after trying literally every kernel that was labeled as being compatible with the Note II for Verizon and finding out that Voodoo Sound/Boeffla/Wolfson control was broken I decided to try the uNeak kernel for the international Note II.

First off the uNeak kernel does work fine! As far as I can tell everything works including GPS, 4G, and most importantly voodoo sound/boeffla.

The uNeak Engine app controls the voodoo sound implementation and actually works with all the features unlike every other kernel I have tried.

In order to have the Note II sound like the original Galaxy S w/voodoo sound you have to use the hardware EQ within the uNeak engine app. The key thing here is do not raise the eq sliders 0db. If you do so the output goes into saturation and sounds crappy.

Also the Output saturation preventer works but causes volume pumping that is highly annoying. Make sure and turn it to OFF. The original Voodoo Sound used to use this (I think) but it doesn't pump the volume during quiet passages so I don't know what the difference is in implementation. Needless to say it does not work like Voodoo Sound original so disable it.

With these tweaks the Note II finally sounds nearly the same as Voodoo Sound + Galaxy S.

If anyone has anything to add to this, PLEASE post. This issue has been driving me nuts since I stopped using my Galaxy S (fascinate) with Voodoo Sound.. the best music experience I have ever had on any device/player.

:cool: