Official Samsung Note Pro keyboard cover

Search This thread

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
I ordered one of these off of B&H Photo's website as I really found the Zagg case to be substandard. Although there is a Samsung logo in the picture, I was VERY surprised to find this is an official Samsung product. Full Samsung packaging, logos on the device and the cover feels exactly like the faux leather on the back of our tablet. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...g_ee_cp905ubeguj_keyboard_case_cover_for.html

Much better feel as far as sturdiness compared to the Zagg cover. Still isn't quite up on par with Logitech's case as far as the keyboard's feel, but the case is so much thinner than the Logitech, it is not possible to compare them directly. Very nice case, and there is also a white model http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...g_ee_cp905uweguj_keyboard_case_cover_for.html.

nychotxxx

Nov 26, 2013
What shortcut keys are on it? Cut, copy, paste etc etc

I ordered one of these off of B&H Photo's website as I really found the Zagg case to be substandard. Although there is a Samsung logo in the picture, I was VERY surprised to find this is an official Samsung product. Full Samsung packaging, logos on the device and the cover feels exactly like the faux leather on the back of our tablet. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...g_ee_cp905ubeguj_keyboard_case_cover_for.html

Much better feel as far as sturdiness compared to the Zagg cover. Still isn't quite up on par with Logitech's case as far as the keyboard's feel, but the case is so much thinner than the Logitech, it is not possible to compare them directly. Very nice case, and there is also a white model http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...g_ee_cp905uweguj_keyboard_case_cover_for.html.

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
What shortcut keys are on it? Cut, copy, paste etc etc

Top Row:
back, home, running apps, app window, menu key, brightness -, brightness+, mute, volume -, volume+, stop/pause, prev track, next track, search, screenshot

With fn button, f1-f12. S-Finder, MultiWindow

For those who keep the onscreen keyboard always enabled, there is also a button on the bottom next to alt which will open / close the onscreen keyboard.

Interesting thing is, I don't see this keyboard anywhere on Samsun USA's site, but it is all over the place on German shopping sites. There is also a back piece to the keyboard stand (you can see it on the original link) which holds up / props up the tablet so the weight of the tablet isn't being held up by the screen edge as it is on the Zagg (or even the Logitech for that matter).

Edit: Cut / Paste etc are handled by the standard ctrl-c, ctrl-v ctrl-x

nychotxxx

Nov 26, 2013
It's a shame no cut, paste, copy. I think one of the other keyboards for the NP 12, maybe Logitech's, has those keys included on the lower left as I recall. It's really hard to find the perfect all - inclusive keyboard for the np 12 and the note10.1 2014, which i also have. Right now i'm using a not so bad bluetooth keyboard that I picked up on amazon for around $15 that does a lot of tab commands and using it with a bluetooth mouse. But I'm waiting to jump on THE DREAM keyboard when someone produces it. I use hancom word for writing. So a keyboard with great tactile feel and lots of tablet specific keys are important to me. Not sure if the samsung keyboard from b&h sounds like it fits the bill.

Top Row:
back, home, running apps, app window, menu key, brightness -, brightness+, mute, volume -, volume+, stop/pause, prev track, next track, search, screenshot

With fn button, f1-f12. S-Finder, MultiWindow

For those who keep the onscreen keyboard always enabled, there is also a button on the bottom next to alt which will open / close the onscreen keyboard.

Interesting thing is, I don't see this keyboard anywhere on Samsun USA's site, but it is all over the place on German shopping sites. There is also a back piece to the keyboard stand (you can see it on the original link) which holds up / props up the tablet so the weight of the tablet isn't being held up by the screen edge as it is on the Zagg (or even the Logitech for that matter).

Edit: Cut / Paste etc are handled by the standard ctrl-c, ctrl-v ctrl-x

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
It's a shame no cut, paste, copy. I think one of the other keyboards for the NP 12, maybe Logitech's, has those keys included on the lower left as I recall. It's really hard to find the perfect all - inclusive keyboard for the np 12 and the note10.1 2014, which i also have. Right now i'm using a not so bad bluetooth keyboard that I picked up on amazon for around $15 that does a lot of tab commands and using it with a bluetooth mouse. But I'm waiting to jump on THE DREAM keyboard when someone produces it. I use hancom word for writing. So a keyboard with great tactile feel and lots of tablet specific keys are important to me. Not sure if the samsung keyboard from b&h sounds like it fits the bill.

On the lower left of any keyboard you have control c, v, and a. That is how you copy and paste on a desktop. Why would they make extra keys for a funtion that is already handled very fliudly and naturally for anyone used to a desktop system (those more likely to want a keyboard). I understand you want those extra keys but it is unlikely for anyone to offer them to you.....and for the price difference I would take this instead. Might switch it out with my smart cover....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nychotxxx

Nov 26, 2013
This looks like the same case without the samsung logo and half the cost of the b&h. Is it?http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Keyboard-Leather-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B00IRB3ONE

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

You are correct about c and v etc. I knew that. I just think the logitech has cut paste etc written on the keys to make it easier for neophytes.

On the lower left of any keyboard you have control c, v, and a. That is how you copy and paste on a desktop. Why would they make extra keys for a funtion that is already handled very fliudly and naturally for anyone used to a desktop system (those more likely to want a keyboard). I understand you want those extra keys but it is unlikely for anyone to offer them to you.....and for the price difference I would take this instead. Might switch it out with my smart cover....

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
You are correct about c and v etc. I knew that. I just think the logitech has cut paste etc written on the keys to make it easier for neophytes.

There is no "copy" "cut" "all" or "paste" written on a standard keyboard either. I can't imagine anyone in this forum doesn't know ctrl-c = copy.

Me, I'd rather have the s-finder / multiwindow / keyboard swap keys than waste a second set of keys to an already programmed function.

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
It's a shame no cut, paste, copy. I think one of the other keyboards for the NP 12, maybe Logitech's, has those keys included on the lower left as I recall.

Logitech's (I currently have the Zagg (going back), Logitech and Sammy case) has pictures over the x c and v keys showing scissors and two ever so slightly different pairs of pages to show paste and copy functions and they work with ctrl and fn keys. No extra keys in use.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
So to whoever has this do you think it was worth the purchase? I was looking at an smouse at best buy yesterday. Wondering how if you coupd use both on it at the same time on 2ghz without it jumping all over thebplacethe place. My experience has been that my touchpad mouse and keyboard I have now work on 5ghz wifi but with 2ghz on they jump all over the place.

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
So to whoever has this do you think it was worth the purchase? I was looking at an smouse at best buy yesterday. Wondering how if you coupd use both on it at the same time on 2ghz without it jumping all over thebplacethe place. My experience has been that my touchpad mouse and keyboard I have now work on 5ghz wifi but with 2ghz on they jump all over the place.

I can't answer about the S-Mouse, but I have no issues with the keyboard and my logitech mouse. I do seldom use a mouse though since the screen is touch.

To be honest, I have all 3 cases with the Zagg sitting in the Best Buy bag waiting to be returned. To me, none of the three are ideal. The Zagg is FAR behind the others though, it feels cheap. The Logitech and the Samsung cases both have advantages and disadvantages. The logitech is an actual folio case, albeit one which is not a very practical case. There is a LOT of give to the case when closed, and when open and folded over in the hands, it can slide all over the place. My one negative with the Samsung case is that the Note Pro can note be placed into the keyboard case screen up, so when using the Note Pro you are just holding the note pro. I have discovered creaky areas on the back plastic I never noticed when using it in a case and it just doesn't quite sit right with me. It can however be used with some folio cases (specifically the ones where the case folds away from the bottom to sit in slots like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Moko-Samsung-...1396810849&sr=8-8&keywords=note+pro+12.2+moko

Both keyboards themselves are very good, with a slight nod to the Logitech for feeling the most natural feeling. The Logitech feels like one is using a laptop when you are using it as a keyboard, when using it as a folio, it feels huge compared to the Samsung.

I suspect I will keep both. The Logitech case will be used at home when I don't want to use my desktop (which I find myself using far less since getting the Note Pro), the samsung will travel with me and the above Moku case.

I've owned far more Android tablets than I care to remember (Flyer, ASUS TF300, TF700, Note 10.1 2012, Note 10.1 2014 and the Note Pro), and I must say this is the first tablet / keyboard combo I have been comfortable using. The ASUS keyboards were a joke with their chicklet keys, and I never did find a great case for the new 10.1.

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
This looks like the same case without the samsung logo and half the cost of the b&h. Is it?http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Keyboard-Leather-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B00IRB3ONE

No not even close. I ordered one just like this through Amazon and it is already traveling back to them. The keys are very tiny, it is actually the exact same keyboard as on the 10.1 inch cheap cases, just in a larger case. The keys are almost unusable.

The Samsung keyboard is almost exactly like the Zagg case. Just built more solid, and the Samsung version doesn't use the screen's glass to prop the tablet up. From a "what's best for the tablet" viewpoint, there is no doubt the Samsung keyboard is by far the best of the three "major" brand keyboards. The weight of the tablet is held up by a plastic flap on the back of the keyboard, the tablet itself just sits in the keyboards well (cutout at the bottom). Both the Zagg and the Logitech use the screen's glass to prop up the tablet.

Last edited:

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
I can't answer about the S-Mouse, but I have no issues with the keyboard and my logitech mouse. I do seldom use a mouse though since the screen is touch.

To be honest, I have all 3 cases with the Zagg sitting in the Best Buy bag waiting to be returned. To me, none of the three are ideal. The Zagg is FAR behind the others though, it feels cheap. The Logitech and the Samsung cases both have advantages and disadvantages. The logitech is an actual folio case, albeit one which is not a very practical case. There is a LOT of give to the case when closed, and when open and folded over in the hands, it can slide all over the place. My one negative with the Samsung case is that the Note Pro can note be placed into the keyboard case screen up, so when using the Note Pro you are just holding the note pro. I have discovered creaky areas on the back plastic I never noticed when using it in a case and it just doesn't quite sit right with me. It can however be used with some folio cases (specifically the ones where the case folds away from the bottom to sit in slots like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Moko-Samsung-...1396810849&sr=8-8&keywords=note+pro+12.2+moko

Both keyboards themselves are very good, with a slight nod to the Logitech for feeling the most natural feeling. The Logitech feels like one is using a laptop when you are using it as a keyboard, when using it as a folio, it feels huge compared to the Samsung.

I suspect I will keep both. The Logitech case will be used at home when I don't want to use my desktop (which I find myself using far less since getting the Note Pro), the samsung will travel with me and the above Moku case.

I've owned far more Android tablets than I care to remember (Flyer, ASUS TF300, TF700, Note 10.1 2012, Note 10.1 2014 and the Note Pro), and I must say this is the first tablet / keyboard combo I have been comfortable using. The ASUS keyboards were a joke with their chicklet keys, and I never did find a great case for the new 10.1.

That sucks it won't go in Screen up. I was hoping it would.

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
That sucks it won't go in Screen up. I was hoping it would.

Well, there are a number of cases which use the open bottom (nothing touches the bottom of the Note when open) design so all of those work great with the keyboard case, as does the Samsung book cover. But yes, I too was quite disappointed that you cannot flip the Note over in the case and just use it like a tablet. Seems like a natural thing to expect and yet neither the Samsung nor the Zagg allow for this.

Who does product testing for these companies? Do they actually try to use their product as people in the real world would?

Edit: They could also have designed this so that the keyboard could snap on to a Note Pro wearing the official Samsung book cover. Heck, that would allow them to sell two items at once.

Last edited:

udolpho

Apr 7, 2014
Portrait?

To be honest, I have all 3 cases with the Zagg sitting in the Best Buy bag waiting to be returned. To me, none of the three are ideal. The Zagg is FAR behind the others though, it feels cheap. The Logitech and the Samsung cases both have advantages and disadvantages. The logitech is an actual folio case, albeit one which is not a very practical case. There is a LOT of give to the case when closed, and when open and folded over in the hands, it can slide all over the place. My one negative with the Samsung case is that the Note Pro can note be placed into the keyboard case screen up, so when using the Note Pro you are just holding the note pro. I have discovered creaky areas on the back plastic I never noticed when using it in a case and it just doesn't quite sit right with me. It can however be used with some folio cases (specifically the ones where the case folds away from the bottom to sit in slots like this one

Hey! Thanks for the review. I just wanted to know whether the samsung case also held in the tablet in portrait mode? Cheers.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Well, there are a number of cases which use the open bottom (nothing touches the bottom of the Note when open) design so all of those work great with the keyboard case, as does the Samsung book cover. But yes, I too was quite disappointed that you cannot flip the Note over in the case and just use it like a tablet. Seems like a natural thing to expect and yet neither the Samsung nor the Zagg allow for this.

Who does product testing for these companies? Do they actually try to use their product as people in the real world would?

Edit: They could also have designed this so that the keyboard could snap on to a Note Pro wearing the official Samsung book cover. Heck, that would allow them to sell two items at once.

It would be pretty great if it would snap into the keyboard cover with the book cover on. I like the book cover but recently noticed the screen off issue alot and had to start holding it opposite of how I was. Thinking that once I get the mime screen protector I might ditch the book cover and use something like this

nychotxxx

Nov 26, 2013
I've finally decided to go with A logitech free standing bluetooth keyboard, the model made for android 3.0+. I don't feel that the keyboard - case combos like the zagg and the logitech are sturdy enough, and are waaay overpriced. Plus, I really prefer my moko case. If I really need to travel with my note pro, it still has to go in a carry case and the external keyboard adds very little more weight. Best buy matched the amazon price of $35.00. Plus, the keyboard does have tablet - specific keys. It's a good combination with the NP12. And the keyboard has good tactile feel.