Alternative to 10 post rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Sadly yes, but we do encourage people to make 10 USEFUL posts instead of spamming our threads.

I agree with that, and I encourage new users to do that. I'm just saying that you can make semi-useful (as in not spam) posts to accomplish the 10-post "task." It's a forum about modifying cell phones, tablets, and other devices, and programming, among other things. If someone can't find anything relevant to talk about, then XDA isn't for them. That's the bottom line. Why would join a website centered around something you're not interested in? I can understand if you join and know little to nothing, but there's your 10-post introduction right there. Ask some questions, show off your device, talk about your carrier, help someone else if you know the solution to their problem, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: undercover

christoi

Jan 25, 2013
As a new user, a complete android noob and having some experience in posting in other forums, I thought I'd drop in a different perspective...

I've literally signed up around ~20 minutes ago to post a question about an issue I was having so I don't really know how this forum operates and such, but I've actually found it rather annoying to constantly have these anti-spamming precautions which are limiting what I can do and really discouraging me from posting. Knowing the annoyance of repeated questions I've always googled any problems that come up, I've personally been careful to make sure that the problem I was having hasn't been asked before, which it seemingly hadn't.

Problems is, I had a problem with a specific ROM, which according to the forum rules, requires posting in the development section of the forum. I've alternately posted in the Q/A section and now am awaiting a reply, but as a new user there's already a ton of other things that's told me not to spam, etc, etc. The patronizing introductory "noob video," the multiple non-spam verifications upon signing up, the 5min per post/edit rule, the image verification required for EVERY SINGLE POST and I'm honestly tired of the already imposed restrictions as a new user.

In addition, I personally post a lot in hardware-related forums and I first started in a small off-topic section of a different forum. From there moved to some larger forums and such, at which point I had a fair bit of knowledge about the subject. While this isn't the case for me with this forum, I'm sure there's a lot of people who do have a highly level of knowledge about development, who would like to post in those forums. Plus as some of the development forums are often used to give suggestions about the ROMs and such, which doesn't require any technical knowledge. In such cases I see no reason for the 10 post rule to even exist and the "x thanks + y" posts suggestions in my opinion, is absolutely absurd.

I understand this is a large forum and I haven't been in much discussions myself, but I really do think that there must be an alternative than these constant user restrictions that are imposed on top of each other. To be quite frank, I'm surprised people are even continuing to spam these forums considering that it takes a minimum of an hour of active use until I can even post in such threads.

I'm not saying that restrictions and spam prevention is a bad thing, but I would appreciate it if you would also keep the newer users in mind too. :)

Reactions: velis74 and lbt

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
The thing that annoys me is that they are allowed to make their first 10 posts in OT. Even if it's not spam, still, the person should be posting in general and q&a. Why not make it off limits like dev sections? I know the argument you guys have is that q&a and general will be spammed, and it's more work for mods, but I believe person has more chance of learning how to do it properly if he gets a warning and a friendly pm from the mod with short explanation rather than being allowed to sail through OT and then be allowed in general with often skewed outlook on how to post (its not a secret that ot is like it's own different world here). At least then that person is given a general direction on how things should be done here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Deadly

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
As a new user, a complete android noob and having some experience in posting in other forums, I thought I'd drop in a different perspective...

I've literally signed up around ~20 minutes ago to post a question about an issue I was having so I don't really know how this forum operates and such, but I've actually found it rather annoying to constantly have these anti-spamming precautions which are limiting what I can do and really discouraging me from posting. Knowing the annoyance of repeated questions I've always googled any problems that come up, I've personally been careful to make sure that the problem I was having hasn't been asked before, which it seemingly hadn't.

Problems is, I had a problem with a specific ROM, which according to the forum rules, requires posting in the development section of the forum. I've alternately posted in the Q/A section and now am awaiting a reply, but as a new user there's already a ton of other things that's told me not to spam, etc, etc. The patronizing introductory "noob video," the multiple non-spam verifications upon signing up, the 5min per post/edit rule, the image verification required for EVERY SINGLE POST and I'm honestly tired of the already imposed restrictions as a new user.

In addition, I personally post a lot in hardware-related forums and I first started in a small off-topic section of a different forum. From there moved to some larger forums and such, at which point I had a fair bit of knowledge about the subject. While this isn't the case for me with this forum, I'm sure there's a lot of people who do have a highly level of knowledge about development, who would like to post in those forums. Plus as some of the development forums are often used to give suggestions about the ROMs and such, which doesn't require any technical knowledge. In such cases I see no reason for the 10 post rule to even exist and the "x thanks + y" posts suggestions in my opinion, is absolutely absurd.

I understand this is a large forum and I haven't been in much discussions myself, but I really do think that there must be an alternative than these constant user restrictions that are imposed on top of each other. To be quite frank, I'm surprised people are even continuing to spam these forums considering that it takes a minimum of an hour of active use until I can even post in such threads.

I'm not saying that restrictions and spam prevention is a bad thing, but I would appreciate it if you would also keep the newer users in mind too. :)

No. No. No. No.

No it does not. If you have a problem with a ROM, you post in Q&A, because it is a question about a problem. People who get in after the 10 posts do what you were attempting to do; there's a million people asking questions in ROM/kernel development threads. What you just described is the 10 post limit working. You're supposed to post in the Q&A section.

Reactions: KennyG123

christoi

Jan 25, 2013
No. No. No. No.

No it does not. If you have a problem with a ROM, you post in Q&A, because it is a question about a problem. People who get in after the 10 posts do what you were attempting to do; there's a million people asking questions in ROM/kernel development threads. What you just described is the 10 post limit working. You're supposed to post in the Q&A section.
I was actually referring to a specific rule that was stated on one of the N7 forum stickies actually...

1. Posting in the Development Forum. Creating new threads in the Dev Forum is restricted to development work. Roms, Hacks, Roots, etc. This IS NOT a place to ask questions. There is a Q&A Forum for that.

Exception: If you have a problem with a specific Custom Rom, Hack, Root, etc, then you may post it in the related thread where it originated from. Example; you installed a custom rom from the Dev Forum, and it has issues rom related. You may post your issue in the ROM THREAD ONLY. Do NOT create a new thread.

Might be an overlap with the rules, but it seems strange to ask a question about a specific ROM in the general device Q&A section to me anyways.

Also, IMO it doesn't really show that the rule is working in that case, as I'm still thinking that I should post threads in the future in the dev sections. I fully understand and respect how annoying it is to have the same questions being asked over and over again, but I don't think this kind of brute-force suppression would really solve such an issue.

Reactions: velis74

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I was actually referring to a specific rule that was stated on one of the N7 forum stickies actually...

Might be an overlap with the rules, but it seems strange to ask a question about a specific ROM in the general device Q&A section to me anyways.

Also, IMO it doesn't really show that the rule is working in that case, as I'm still thinking that I should post threads in the future in the dev sections. I fully understand and respect how annoying it is to have the same questions being asked over and over again, but I don't think this kind of brute-force suppression would really solve such an issue.

In all honesty, I've never seen that exception so my apologies. It just seems illogical to me.

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

There is a slight grey area but we like to keep the main rules simple especially for new users. i.e. post questions in Q&A, not in Development. This is to stop new members posting things like "how do I install this ROM" or "After installing this my Google account doesn't work"

If however there is a technical "developer level" question that relates perhaps to how the ROM is constructed etc, then such a question will likely be ok with the thread OP. It's about the depth of the question and whether perhaps only the person who assembled the ROM would know the answer. Getting a feel for what is appropriate in Development takes time and you need to have a good feel for the site before diving into Development at least before posting in there.

I know a lot of users feel the obvious place to ask questions about a ROM is in the ROM thread, but the threads would become very unpleasant places to be if we allowed regular, routine questions whose answers don't require developer skills to be posted in Dev threads. Some developers create a help/support thread for their ROMs in Q&A, which I think is good practice, but some Developers provide their work and expect those using it to go find out how to use it and are simply not there to act as support givers to all-comers in their ROM threads. You know, a bit like a car showroom where you can get a car, but new customers should not expect the showroom staff to teach them how to drive or what to do if they have a crash going home.

Last edited:

Dblfstr

Mar 25, 2010
Some developers create a help/support thread for their ROMs in Q&A, which I think is good practice, but some Developers provide their work and expect those using it to go find out how to use it and are simply not there to act as support givers to all-comers in their ROM threads.

This is the appropriate way to handle Q&A posts.

For example, the AROMA installer thread was bombarded with posts about "what is wrong with my script" "I get installation error status: 0" etc.

None of these were directly related to the development of AROMA, not did they represent a bug in the AROMA package. Most were updater-script errors, or syntax errors.

Someone mentioned a Q&A specifically to address these problems, so as an RC, I created it. I think it has really cut down on the number of "help im n00b cant get working" posts in the OPs dev thread.

And the posts are all directly related to the topic at hand (for the most part) so finding information is much easier, since all posts are similar in context.

More OPS should take this approach or find an RC that is capable of helping and find others who are willing to help.

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Personally, if they cannot be bothered to help 10 people then XDA is better off without them. Also, we can wave the 10 post rule for certain individuals who can prove they have experience/knowledge etc.....
I've seen quite a few mods who have used these same sentences but it doesn't really make sense to me.
I've said before that "I don't care if you're the next Chainfire or just some random spammer. If you can't make 10 posts, you shouldn't be on XDA." but with a lot of mods generally agreeing with that sentiment, why is the option available to lift the 10 post restriction?
If you need an example of this working you need to look no farther than the OP. He hasn't even been here a year and look how well he turned out.
^^This ;)
There is a slight grey area but we like to keep the main rules simple especially for new users. i.e. post questions in Q&A, not in Development. This is to stop new members posting things like "how do I install this ROM" or "After installing this my Google account doesn't work"
Do you think XDA is way past the stage of being able to stop those kind of comments in development threads? Or is there still some hope for it?

As mentioned, a lot of the devs don't mind all ROM related questions being asked in their thread (whether it's development related or simply a user error who wants a fix), which while it's not aiding the rules of development threads in the slightest I can see why they do it. Popularity. If a ROM thread is filled with a bunch of questions by users, then it will be at the top of the forum more often.
ParanoidAndroid is a perfect example of this. In most, if not all, forums that ParanoidAndroid is developed for, the thread is pretty much always on the top page of threads. That's because users are allowed to ask away in their and is therefore a free bump for the thread.
More exposure = more interest.

One idea which I think is great, but isn't being embraced, is mf2112's thread here. While I'd like to believe this could help solve a lot of the mess in development threads, I think we're too far into the problem. Had this idea been around a couple of years ago (that's clearly just a guess as I haven't been on XDA long enough to know for sure), then that would've been sufficient time to get the ball rolling.
Alas, such is the way most ideas pan out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
I've seen quite a few mods who have used these same sentences but it doesn't really make sense to me.
I've said before that "I don't care if you're the next Chainfire or just some random spammer. If you can't make 10 posts, you shouldn't be on XDA." but with a lot of mods generally agreeing with that sentiment, why is the option available to lift the 10 post restriction?

Plain and simple, we have occasions were clearly experienced people have come from other forums or users show a certain level of experience in their first couple posts etc. In cases like these we sometimes weaver the 10 post rule for them to allow them to post in dev threads. But again, this is an exception to the rule

Reactions: KidCarter93

justmpm

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 22, 2010
Jumpston Junction
Plain and simple, we have occasions were clearly experienced people have come from other forums or users show a certain level of experience in their first couple posts etc. In cases like these we sometimes weaver the 10 post rule for them to allow them to post in dev threads. But again, this is an exception to the rule

Since this started as a thread about alternatives to the 10 post rule, one answer might be right here. You leave the 10 post rule where it is and for noobs who show unnoobish behavior you lift the rule. So only a moderator or above would be able to lift the 10 post rule, but maybe RCs/RTs/RDs could "report" good behavior to the moderators. If you limit the number of good reports to 1 or 2 per day per RC/RT/RD it shouldn't be too big of an extra work load. Of course there won't be a guarantee that every good post will get noticed but it rewards good citizenship and is difficult to circumvent by spamming all over the place. Unfortunately, this would probably break down if you let every member report unnoobish posts.

I think the grey area about posting ROM specific questions in Development should be clarified. Leaving it as forum by forum, or even worse, thread by thread is confusing to everyone, not just new users.

One last idea, is to have pop up notices about problems in the threads. These notices should expire in a short period of time, say 1 week, and only appear the 1st time a user (and this would be for all users) try to open a thread in that area. The notice would explain the problem, what the moderators/admin staff are doing to fix the problem, and what they want the rest of us to do about it -even if it is just to report a specific kind of post. Even if a small percentage of users actually read and cooperate with the notice it can make a huge difference. With a little bit of tweaking, I guess the OPs in development could use pop up notices to keep their threads from spinning out of control by pointing out their FAQ in Q&A,or to solicit specific feedback about certain new features, etc.

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Thing is, we don't really see the good new members because they're not spamming to get to 10 posts. The types of members we would prefer to have on xda simply go un-noticed, for the most part, because all the main focus goes onto those who are desperate to ask a dev a pointless question.

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
I am a newbie and when I first started trying to figure out how to root my i777. It took a long time to feel secure enough to even try. Since I could not post a question. The OPs need to do this. I believe I used 3 different locations to get everything I needed to get my phone rooted. Then a few more for the different ROMs. I tired at least 3 things before it actually happened as well. That is scary to me. There should be a Updated Beginner Rooting Instruction list with pros and cons of doing it one way or another. This should be a sticky and should be the only post you need to get everything necessary to say root without incrementing the flash counter. Things just need to be concise if we cannot ask questions.
Accidental thank -_-

what about a questionary for new users as i saw on insanelymac forums?
It would be too awkward to do because different developers have a different level of knowledge, so questions wouldn't really work.

"I don't care if you're the next Chainfire or just some random spammer. If you can't make 10 posts, you shouldn't be on XDA."

_Variable

Jun 10, 2012
Manila
I think the 10 post rule is fine. I dont even root and rom, but i got thru it legally.

Sun Cellular
"LG should go bankrupt"

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Accidental thank -_-

It would be too awkward to do because different developers have a different level of knowledge, so questions wouldn't really work.

"I don't care if you're the next Chainfire or just some random spammer. If you can't make 10 posts, you shouldn't be on XDA."

They would if you have to look for answers in a short given text. Your normal comprehension test.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

justmpm

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 22, 2010
Jumpston Junction
One of the problems with the 10 post rule is that it doesn't encourage people to value their own posts. In fact, the 10 post rule tends to do the opposite, because it "rewards" people who produce 10 useless posts. Since manually checking everyones 10 posts isn't practical, rationing them out seems to be the obvious way to encourage useful posting. Let's say we allow 5 posts/day and they can be used anywhere, except maybe Development with no more than 2 per day. Keep it in place for 20 posts or you can slowly increase the # of posts/day. Also maybe put in a delay between registration and 1st post of say 60 minutes -just to give people a chance to use that all important search function and to discourage people registering for multiple accounts once they used their ration up. I know that there is already a 5 minute delay between new user's posts, and that was designed to stop one type of bad behavior and rationing posts (although similar) is designed to stop a different kind of behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Suggestions/Alternatives

*Change 10 post to x number of thanks - Pros : It would take longer for users to gain access to development forums. - Cons : Users will beg for thanks more and possibly spam thanks to help each other gain access.

*Complete a quiz during registration - Pros : Could possibly reduce the number of people allowed in development forums. - Cons : Too hard because different people have different levels of knowledge + couldn't be multiple choice because too easy to get around.

*Let OPs of dev threads delete posts - Pros : Cut down on the useless posts. - Cons : Won't happen because only mods/admins will have ability to delete posts. Devs could show favouritism + take too much of the devs time to delete posts.

*Review posts before they appear in development - Pros : If possible, no crap would appear in dev threads. - Cons : Not possible because of the massive workload on the manpower of the mods.

*Deny access to Off-topic until user has 10 posts - Pros : Stops a lot of people posting there to get to 10 posts. - Cons : Users will be more likely to spam in the device forums instead.

Alternative to 10 post rule :)

I'm creating this thread as a place to centralize all alternative ideas to the 10 post rule.

Obviously, a lot of different suggestions have been made over the time and we've been told that the admins won't change the rule unless a better solution can be proven to work.

So if you have any suggestions as to what could be used instead of needing 10 posts to post in development, then post your idea in here.

*If you're not sure why there is a limit to post in development, read the following thread - Postcount limit in developmental fora

*If you want to moan about the rule, don't post it anywhere on this site as we've heard it all before.

*Need to help someone in a development thread? Or give developer a logcat? Private Message them. It exists :eek:

*If you have less than 10 posts, don't post here UNLESS you are suggesting a different alternative.

*NOTE* As mods, senior mods and admins may be checking in here, don't use this thread to try and gain your first 10 posts because your comment will most likely be deleted.
    Ok folks, just to let you know, I have subscribed to this thread and will be looking with interest at any ideas posted. I will reply to the more serious suggestions and I will delete posts by those wishing to boost their post count

Ta

Rick

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!
    Why are you even asking what answer it was when you've already said that you're going through my post history? Find out for yourself. And stop going off topic!!!!! Stop spamming dude!!!

Nice, you just earned yourself an infraction.....please, carry on
    JJJAGUAR said:
    The truth is that this rule is frustrating. Many want to ask something urgently, and the post 10 post of spam (be realistic) does not prove that we know what we are talking about. It is especially annoying to those who do not speak English as their first language.:rolleyes:

This part of your statement is the problem with most new members.

"Many want to ask something urgently"

The development forums are NOT supposed to be used to "ask" things that is why we have questions and answers/help sub forums (that new members with less then 10 posts can post in)for just about every device.

New members have this idea that they will get a better/faster answer if they ask in the development section which just shows the sense of entitlement that most new members have when they join xda. Instead of taking the time to do some research and see if they can find the answer to their question since 9 times out of 10 it has already been asked and answered they want to jump right into the dev section to post their all important question that doesn't belong there in the first place.

Development is just for that development, members who can post logcats and help with bugs, not to ask questions.

Senior Moderator