Q: rooting Huawei G535-L11 (kestrel from EE)

Search This thread

hemime

Jun 17, 2014
please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought fastboot is only for flashing .img files. So flashing a .tar file would not work at all?!

Farmakon

Aug 21, 2014

yeap, failed, that is why I have asked for another way to do it...:)

That's the very same error I get. Too many links after 25 - 26 seconds. The archive @rophaq uploaded is fine as I compared the MD5 hash.
I don't know what causes the error. Maybe try to flash the file though a usb cable with ferrite core.
Meanwhile, I'll try to compile the CWM.

marek d

Mar 27, 2011
re:::::::::............................. ....... ... .. .

That's the very same error I get. Too many links after 25 - 26 seconds. The archive @rophaq uploaded is fine as I compared the MD5 hash.
I don't know what causes the error. Maybe try to flash the file though a usb cable with ferrite core.
Meanwhile, I'll try to compile the CWM.

sideload...

Attachments

• sdd2.jpg
    sdd2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 100

hemime

Jun 17, 2014
Okay, as far as I know it has to be a system.img, zip or tar files are NOT flashable using fastboot :crying:

ArcticFox

Mar 8, 2006
How can I edit the build.prop, I've unlocked bootloader, the phone is rooted and I've tried remounting system as rw but it wont.

Scoobyd0nt

Nov 14, 2008
Editing build.prop

How can I edit the build.prop, I've unlocked bootloader, the phone is rooted and I've tried remounting system as rw but it wont.

Anyone able to share how you edit build.prop, please? Have done the obvious and used ES File Explorer to open it, selected Edit and changed "false" to "true" but it won't let me save the change.

Thanks.

nelvinchi

Apr 3, 2011
London
Redmi K20 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11
Hey guys.... a little late to the party, but hopefully I can give you some hope for custom dev.... :)

I bought a kestrel as a temporary replacement for my Sony Z1 Compact which is being repaired... I was pretty shocked at the lack of dev... it's a great phone, amazing buy at £90!

It's not easy to develop for a phone with little support from the manufacturer, and lack of resources available on the web....

Due to the issues above and the lack of a source for a recent Android version, I won't be building a ROM from scratch with only Jelly Bean source....

BUT, I am working on a hybrid 4.3 ROM for the Kestrel.... woo hoo!

Have the kernel source, (am not far from compiling an unsecured kernel...), system, boot and recovery images....

Aiming for:
Pre rooted
Custom kernel (unsecured)
Custom recovery - CWM or TWRP (unofficial). Haven't decided which yet....
Remove bloatware

The framework will be based on stock, not up for compiling custom on 4.3 (to old).

I have a full time job and a family, so will be working on it when I'm able to... please don't expect a release to soon - I'll keep you updated.... :)

Have attached a few screenshots of how it looks so far.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-04-15-40-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-04-15-40-00.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_2014-10-04-14-22-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-04-14-22-11.png
    147 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

nelvinchi

Apr 3, 2011
London
Redmi K20 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11
Anyone able to share how you edit build.prop, please? Have done the obvious and used ES File Explorer to open it, selected Edit and changed "false" to "true" but it won't let me save the change.

Thanks.

Download BuildProp Editor by JRummy - make sure you BACKUP the original file using the app..... you have su right? If so, you should be fine.... if it doesn't work, check you can write to /system by copy/pasting any file (e.g. a jpg) to /system

Out of interest, what variables are you planning on changing?

:-o

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought fastboot is only for flashing .img files. So flashing a .tar file would not work at all?!

You're not wrong, a tar file is a container for multiple compressed files - an archive for archives.... :)

You can't flash tar files, it's like trying to eat a chocolate bar with the wrapper still on....

Fastboot is for flashing an image file to a partition - boot/kernel, recovery etc.

ADB is for installing or pushing/pulling files from the device.... (and other uses obviously...)

:)

ArcticFox

Mar 8, 2006
Has anyone got an unedited build.prop, phone keeps asking me to update but I get assert failed on build.prop because I've edited it.

nelvinchi

Apr 3, 2011
London
Redmi K20 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11
Has anyone got an unedited build.prop, phone keeps asking me to update but I get assert failed on build.prop because I've edited it.

Have you rooted, and/or unlocked the bootloader? If so, you'll find it will just fail again with something else, even with a clean build.prop....
The device is a nightmare, locked down heavily by Huawei.... The OTA fail is one of many issues....
:(

A clean build.prop would be useful though, I'd like it also.... anyone who has one, please post.... thanks!

Last edited:

ArcticFox

Mar 8, 2006
Ugh this phone is terrible, why do they lock it down so much, I bought the phone I should be able to do whatever the hell I want with it.

Scoobyd0nt

Nov 14, 2008
Editing build.prop

nelvinci,
Thanks for the info, but even following your advice was unable to get the change from "false" to "true" to stick. I was trying to get the battery percentage to show on the status bar.
I've given up now and downloaded the excellent "Powerline" app from the app store.

Thanks for the reply, though.

Reactions: nelvinchi

nelvinchi

Apr 3, 2011
London
Redmi K20 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 11
nelvinci,
Thanks for the info, but even following your advice was unable to get the change from "false" to "true" to stick. I was trying to get the battery percentage to show on the status bar.
I've given up now and downloaded the excellent "Powerline" app from the app store.

Thanks for the reply, though.

Can I ask which method you used to root your device? Also, which superuser app are you using?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Ugh this phone is terrible, why do they lock it down so much, I bought the phone I should be able to do whatever the hell I want with it.

Decent phone with crap firmware, frustrating.... Working on making it better though!

Can you let me know:
Have you rooted, and/or unlocked the bootloader?
Can I ask which method you used to root your device?
Also, which superuser app are you using?

Thanks!

Reactions: Scoobyd0nt

Scoobyd0nt

Nov 14, 2008
EE Kestrel root

Hello nelvinci,

I'm not really proficient at messing with the coding, etc .... but I do like to dabble to try to understand what goes on "under the bonnet". I'll try to answer your questions, but forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about!
I used Towelroot to root the 'phone.....this doesn't appear to have rooted it completely, but for example Titanium Backup reports root as ok.
I installed Android v4.3 in the form of EmotionUI 2.0 Lite and am using SuperSU as the superuser.

It all works ok but I am still unable to move apps to the SD card and am getting close to the limit for internal storage.

Hope this answers your questions......

Top Liked Posts