Flashing a "Rooted & S-OFF'd" restore on a new M8

Search This thread

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
So here's a question for you tech experts.........

Say I unlock/root & S-OFF an HTC One M8, and right after I do all that, I save a backup in TWRP. Then for whatever reason I decide to get a new M8 to replace the original one. Can I use that same backup file on the NEW M8 phone? Meaning, by flashing it on the new phone via TWRP, will my phone automatically become unlocked/rooted & S-OFF'd?! Or do I still have to manually do all that over again?? I don't need or want to do it in reality, but just wondering (like in case I ever lose my phone, etc).

Thank You,

RockStar2005

stathis95194

Oct 15, 2008
Nicosia
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
Xiaomi 13 Pro
So here's a question for you tech experts.........

Say I unlock/root & S-OFF an HTC One M8, and right after I do all that, I save a backup in TWRP. Then for whatever reason I decide to get a new M8 to replace the original one. Can I use that same backup file on the NEW M8 phone? Meaning, by flashing it on the new phone via TWRP, will my phone automatically become unlocked/rooted & S-OFF'd?! Or do I still have to manually do all that over again?? I don't need or want to do it in reality, but just wondering (like in case I ever lose my phone, etc).

Thank You,

RockStar2005

You will have to do everything from the beginning. I wish it would be that easy :) Then noone would have to pay for s-off and everyone would use your TWRP nandroid to get it :D

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
A nandroid can be restored if the phone is the same type of phone (international to international, Sprint to Sprint....etc etc) you must first unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery to restore the nand.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
A nandroid can be restored if the phone is the same type of phone (international to international, Sprint to Sprint....etc etc) you must first unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery to restore the nand.

So wait, you're saying it CAN be done if you're dealing with the same exact phone?? I don't mean about all the settings and app settings stuff, I mean about retaining root and S-OFF?

RockStar2005

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Meaning, by flashing it on the new phone via TWRP, will my phone automatically become unlocked/rooted & S-OFF'd?!

What you propose would be impossible to do, since you can't install TWRP with a locked bootloader.

But no, nothing that is backed up on a nandroid involves the bootloader unlock or S-off (you can't "migrate" them with TWRP). Of those, only root will carry over (as that is contained in the ROM).

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
What you propose would be impossible to do, since you can't install TWRP with a locked bootloader.

But no, nothing that is backed up on a nandroid involves the bootloader unlock or S-off (you can't "migrate" them with TWRP). Of those, only root will carry over (as that is contained in the ROM).

Red,

Ok that makes sense. So after unlocking the bootloader and gaining TWRP Recovery, I won't be able to migrate S-OFF (or unlock), but I WILL be able to migrate root?!!

Thanks,

RockStar2005

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
So wait, you're saying it CAN be done if you're dealing with the same exact phone?? I don't mean about all the settings and app settings stuff, I mean about retaining root and S-OFF?

RockStar2005

No you can switch over the software and nothing more. All unlocking stuff need to be done from scratch.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
So after unlocking the bootloader and gaining TWRP Recovery, I won't be able to migrate S-OFF (or unlock), but I WILL be able to migrate root?!!

Are you currently on a custom ROM? If so, they are pre-rooted by definition. So restoring a nandroid of a custom ROM will give you root, yes. But so will flashing any custom ROM on the new device or just flashing SuperSU/SU.

Even if on a stock ROM and rooted, I believe this will also migrate over if you restore a nandroid to a new device.

But in any case, root is a simple thing once the bootloader is unlocked and custom recovery is installed. It takes about 2 minutes, so whether you can migrate this or not via TWRP is really a very minor point.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Are you currently on a custom ROM? If so, they are pre-rooted by definition. So restoring a nandroid of a custom ROM will give you root, yes. But so will flashing any custom ROM on the new device or just flashing SuperSU/SU.

Even if on a stock ROM and rooted, I believe this will also migrate over if you restore a nandroid to a new device.

But in any case, root is a simple thing once the bootloader is unlocked and custom recovery is installed. It takes about 2 minutes, so whether you can migrate this or not via TWRP is really a very minor point.

Red,

Yeah I use ViperOne M8. Or do you just mean am I running things on a rooted nandroid recovery? The answer is yes to that one as well. The one I'm using now is unlocked rooted and S-OFF'd.

So basically again, I HAVE to unlock b/c that's the only way to get TWRP access, but the root can be quickly obtained via flashing my custom ROM. And of course S-OFF must be repeated because that can't be simply flashed the way root is.

Well I think it took me longer than 2 minutes, but still, I'd rather just flash it anyway. lol

Thanks!!!

RockStar2005

Top Liked Posts