[APN][AT&T][MMS][HSPA+] Single APN for HSPA+ Speeds AND MMS - (Updated 1/1)

Search This thread

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Hey everyone,

As many of you know, APN switching can be a sporadic mess in AOSP roms. We've either had to deal with it or have a single APN at standard HSPA speeds. The following is a SINGLE APN solution that has been working after hours of trial and error and testing. I can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but please use this as a reference for future builds. So far so good.

APN: phone
mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri

After hours of testing on many ROM's, I feel like these are appropriate APN settings that everyone can use. I've gotten my best data speeds ever AND MMS to work without having to worry about APN switching. Thanks to all the testers! This has been officially moved to the development thread as a reference to AOSP and AT&T phone developers.

Disclaimer: May not work for everyone

45f3db1f-fdf3-9cbb.jpg

45f3db1f-fe02-74e1.jpg

Instructions for editing APN:
1. Menu
2. Settings
3. Wireless and Networks
4. Mobile Networks
5. Access Point Names
6. BACK UP EVERYTHING. Write it down, Screen capture, Do something! I am not responsible for you losing your settings.
7. Individually delete ALL APN's
8. Menu
9. New APN
10. Enter the above settings and make sure you hit menu>save when you're done!
11. Select your newly created APN
12. Reboot and enjoy!

Update 7-24: It has also come to my attention that port 8080 works. I am under the impression that it is higher security for sending MMS messages. Thanks!

Update 2 7-24: User xxxSuperserieSxxx has reported the following working from an AT&T Infuse to and from another AT&T phone. I need testers for this fix as well for MMS messages to users on OTHER carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, etc). Thanks guys.

I found out this one also working

mms proxy: 66.209.11.32
MMS port: 8080

Update 8-13: For One X users only! Try changing "APN" to pta and add "fota" to APN type. Then make a second APN with the above settings. pta is for LTE, but you need a fallback when you aren't in an LTE covered area I believe. If I had an LTE phone i could test this, but sadly I don't yet.

Update 8-17: I'm now supporting ANY AT&T device on this thread. If I don't already have it listed, I will find a setting that works for you and test it with anyone who needs me to do so and asks nicely.

Update 8-21: For Inspire 4G owners only! You may want to include "fota" and "admin" in APN Type, separated by commas. For example, yours would read something like: APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri,admin,fota.

Update 9-15: For AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 owners only! Use the following to achieve LTE speeds and mms functionality:
APN: pta

Update 1-1: It seems a though AT&T is switching to a unified APN for all phones. This is the "phone" APN in the OP. This should be the default for all newer AT&T phones, whether they are LTE or not. This includes the Nexus 4 as well. Try it! Bottom line: Use the APN in the pictures above.

Report feedback to this thread. I will try my best to answer when possible :)

Last edited:

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
I googled for an answer but gave up. So, if someone could tell me what h+ speeds are as opposed to 3g I would be thankful to them. I have a single apn that works well on my s2 but not sure if the speeds are right. My infuse is on cm 10 or I would test with that .

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
I googled for an answer but gave up. So, if someone could tell me what h+ speeds are as opposed to 3g I would be thankful to them. I have a single apn that works well on my s2 but not sure if the speeds are right. My infuse is on cm 10 or I would test with that .

Well to put it simply, HSPA+ is a lot faster than regular HSPA. HSPA is what most people know as 3G. HSPA+ is what AT&T called "4G" before LTE. HSPA+ is capable of WAY faster speeds. For example, both the S2 and the Infuse are capable of 21Mbps HSPA+ with the exception of t-mobile which is capable of 42. Now in real life on HSPA is get around 3-4Mbps DL's. On HSPA+ I've seen anywhere from 7-11 at max. I hope this helps. This is actually a good read if you want more specific information on HSPA+ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_HSPA

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
I am getting from 2.5 to 5.7 Mbps and able to send and receive mms on my s2. My son is using infuse with cm10 . ( Finally quit bugging me to use my upgrade so he could get the s2)
Here is the single apn that works on s2 if anyone wants to try it.

Name ATT
APN wap.cingular
Username WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
MMSC http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Port 80
MCC 310
MNC 410
APN Type default, supl,mms
APN protocol IPv4

Edit.. For testing purposes I made a contact named Me and put my own number in. If I send a picture to myself and receive it my mms is working.

Everything else reads not set.
Thank you , Stratatalk
Code:

Last edited:

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks for testing this...I feel like we have to be close. And yes, those are the HSPA APN's. We were trying to figure out a single HSPA+ APN so we didn't have to use two. I thought we had it there for a second...maybe we do, too soon to tell.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks for testing this...I feel like we have to be close. And yes, those are the HSPA APN's. We were trying to figure out a single HSPA+ APN so we didn't have to use two. I thought we had it there for a second...maybe we do, too soon to tell.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda app-developers app

Can anyone try 172.26.39.1 for the mms proxy instead of proxy.mobile.att.net?

Dollseye

Jul 24, 2011
works for me!

I've been having some attachment issues since flashing CM9 a couple of weeks ago... as you said, sporadic. I was lucky enough to stumble upon your new thread while heading over to find some APN settings to try. Plugged in the ones you suggested, rebooted, and voila! Works like a charm so far. :good: I'll report back if I have any problems. Thanks!

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
I've been having some attachment issues since flashing CM9 a couple of weeks ago... as you said, sporadic. I was lucky enough to stumble upon your new thread while heading over to find some APN settings to try. Plugged in the ones you suggested, rebooted, and voila! Works like a charm so far. :good: I'll report back if I have any problems. Thanks!

Woohoo! Another confirmation is good. This is exciting. You used the ones in the OP right?

Dollseye

Jul 24, 2011
confirmation of settings

Woohoo! Another confirmation is good. This is exciting. You used the ones in the OP right?

Right. The following params...

mmsc: *can't post links yet*//mmsc.mobile.att.net

Unfortunately, I'm a "new user" (I hope) as opposed to "a noob") and I am not sure how to find out specific data speeds for you, though... sorry. :(

Reactions: stratatak7

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Right. The following params...

mmsc: *can't post links yet*//mmsc.mobile.att.net

Unfortunately, I'm a "new user" (I hope) as opposed to "a noob") and I am not sure how to find out specific data speeds for you, though... sorry. :(

No problem that's exactly what I needed to know. I talked to the mods and this thread is now worthy of the development section as a reference. Thanks again to everyone involved in testing! If you'd like a shoutout in the OP just send me a PM and I'll add you.

Demonic240

Mar 18, 2009
Plano
No problem that's exactly what I needed to know. I talked to the mods and this thread is now worthy of the development section as a reference. Thanks again to everyone involved in testing! If you'd like a shoutout in the OP just send me a PM and I'll add you.

I don't get any data connection with the mmsc settings you have listed :(

stratatak7

Swappa Representative
Jun 6, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
I don't get any data connection with the mmsc settings you have listed :(

Testing now...go to settings>wireless and networks>mobile networks. Did you accidentally hit the data toggle while you were in the APN settings? My data is working just fine upon reboot and everything. I am running CM10 though, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

As many of you know, APN switching can be a sporadic mess in AOSP roms. We've either had to deal with it or have a single APN at standard HSPA speeds. The following is a SINGLE APN solution that has been working after hours of trial and error and testing. I can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but please use this as a reference for future builds. So far so good.

After hours of testing on many ROM's, I feel like these are appropriate APN settings that everyone can use. I've gotten my best data speeds ever AND MMS to work without having to worry about APN switching. Thanks to all the testers! This has been officially moved to the development thread as a reference to AOSP and AT&T phone developers.

Disclaimer: May not work for everyone

45f3db1f-fdf3-9cbb.jpg

45f3db1f-fe02-74e1.jpg

Instructions for editing APN:
    1. Menu
    2. Settings
    3. Wireless and Networks
    4. Mobile Networks
    5. Access Point Names
    6. BACK UP EVERYTHING. Write it down, Screen capture, Do something! I am not responsible for you losing your settings.
    7. Individually delete ALL APN's
    8. Menu
    9. New APN
    10. Enter the above settings and make sure you hit menu>save when you're done!
    11. Select your newly created APN
    12. Reboot and enjoy!

Update 7-24: It has also come to my attention that port 8080 works. I am under the impression that it is higher security for sending MMS messages. Thanks!

Update 2 7-24: User xxxSuperserieSxxx has reported the following working from an AT&T Infuse to and from another AT&T phone. I need testers for this fix as well for MMS messages to users on OTHER carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, etc). Thanks guys.

I found out this one also working

MMS port: 8080

Update 8-13: For One X users only! Try changing "APN" to pta and add "fota" to APN type. Then make a second APN with the above settings. pta is for LTE, but you need a fallback when you aren't in an LTE covered area I believe. If I had an LTE phone i could test this, but sadly I don't yet.

Update 8-17: I'm now supporting ANY AT&T device on this thread. If I don't already have it listed, I will find a setting that works for you and test it with anyone who needs me to do so and asks nicely.

Update 8-21: For Inspire 4G owners only! You may want to include "fota" and "admin" in APN Type, separated by commas. For example, yours would read something like: APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri,admin,fota.

Update 9-15: For AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 owners only! Use the following to achieve LTE speeds and mms functionality:
    APN: pta

Update 1-1: It seems a though AT&T is switching to a unified APN for all phones. This is the "phone" APN in the OP. This should be the default for all newer AT&T phones, whether they are LTE or not. This includes the Nexus 4 as well. Try it! Bottom line: Use the APN in the pictures above.

Report feedback to this thread. I will try my best to answer when possible :)
    This is the old single APN HSPA method if the above settings are giving you difficulty. Data speeds are slower, but it seems to be old reliable.

APN: wap.cingular
    mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    mms port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410

45f3db1f-de7b-0745.jpg

45f3db1f-de8e-18ec.jpg
    Thanks. One other important point I'd like to make: the data plan for the SIM must be correct, preferably a 4G LTE plan even though the phone may only be a HSPA+ phone such as the Nexus 4. Having an LTE plan doesn't hurt anything and it is not more expensive. The reason I'm making this point is that I had a very hard time with my Nexus 4 phone. As you know the IMEI for the N4 is not recognized by the AT&T systems. I was able to call and ask them to put me on a 4G LTE plan but for whatever reason every few days my data plan would revert back to some Blackberry data plan that only worked with the "wap.cingular" APN, I could not get data with the "phone" or "pta" APNs. No matter what I tried, I could not get them to provision the data plan correctly to stick for more than a few days - I suspect they must be running some automated checks based on the IMEI on the accounts and change data plans automatically. I got fed up with it, went to a local AT&T store and took a photo of the IMEI of a demo LG Optimus G (and its APN settings which match those from the OP). Then I called AT&T and asked them to put the IMEI on my account and provision correctly for 4G LTE. That worked, they don't seem to check whether the IMEI is unique, from what I understand they only use it to provision the correct features. I figured the LG Optimus G is as close to the Nexus 4 as they come. I'm sure other IMEIs from LTE phones will work equally well. I'm not proud of having to do this, but after I struggled with it for over a month and after many phone calls with AT&T tech support, I got fed up with it. I hope it will stick now. It should be fun though when the demo phone gets shop lifted from the AT&T store and then AT&T knocks on my door to hand them the phone - I'll deal with this if/when it happens :)
    Congrats to the new Recognized Contributor - RC, well deserved. Thank You for your efforts to the XDA Community.
    If anyone has any suggestions as far as LTE goes, please let me know. I don't have an LTE phone to test this on. I've been messaged about an issue with this APN with an LTE phone and I can't exactly test it the way I want because all I have is my Infuse. :cool:

Well guys I spoke too soon. My Infuse decided it didnt want to turn on anymore with the battery inside of it (only with the cable) so I utilized my Best Buy buy back program and picked up a Galaxy S III for $19.50. Turns out my Infuse was worth $180. :eek: It looks like I can officially support and test LTE now. :p I sure am going to miss this family and all the progress we've made. I've had the phone since day one. Regardless I am still maintaining this thread. :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app