[Q] Unrooting or updating

Search This thread

tenthsun

Apr 22, 2014
Hi, almost a year ago shortly after I got my S4 I was very eager to root it, so I came here and followed the guides. I successfully flashed the ROM and proceeded to root my phone but still didn't fully understand the process. I've been sitting on the same version of Android (4.2.2) for a while now and cannot update because there was a file I had to back up and rename. This file was the file which launched the updater, and wasn't part of the guide...

Just now I decrypted my phone, re-flashed it with TWRP, did a factory reset and still have a rooted phone with no update file. I fear the risk of bricking it if I proceed with adding ROM's. Is there an easy way to either update my phone, or unroot it? I may have naively made the only backup image the one that was rooted and with no update file. Staying rooted and updating would be prefered but I just have no idea what I'm doing, to be honest :fingers-crossed:

-Take care, Rob

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
Hi, almost a year ago shortly after I got my S4 I was very eager to root it, so I came here and followed the guides. I successfully flashed the ROM and proceeded to root my phone but still didn't fully understand the process. I've been sitting on the same version of Android (4.2.2) for a while now and cannot update because there was a file I had to back up and rename. This file was the file which launched the updater, and wasn't part of the guide...

Just now I decrypted my phone, re-flashed it with TWRP, did a factory reset and still have a rooted phone with no update file. I fear the risk of bricking it if I proceed with adding ROM's. Is there an easy way to either update my phone, or unroot it? I may have naively made the only backup image the one that was rooted and with no update file. Staying rooted and updating would be prefered but I just have no idea what I'm doing, to be honest :fingers-crossed:

-Take care, Rob

@tenthsun
Could u tell me what is your firmware from about device .....If u have MDL or MDB then u just install any custom 4.4 Kitkat roms and then flash loki patch. U are pretty lucky to have that firmware. Do Not update using your phone coz u would stuck with locked BL and u won't be able to use loki patch anymore. On the other side if u like to unroot just odin to stock firmware according to your firmware.

☆Swyped From Venomous Droid Blue Chrome Edition☆

Reactions: tenthsun

tenthsun

Apr 22, 2014
@tenthsun
Could u tell me what is your firmware from about device .....If u have MDL or MDB then u just install any custom 4.4 Kitkat roms and then flash loki patch. U are pretty lucky to have that firmware. Do Not update using your phone coz u would stuck with locked BL and u won't be able to use loki patch anymore. On the other side if u like to unroot just odin to stock firmware according to your firmware.

It seems to be MDL.
Much appreciated and I think i'll try Odin because I want to be able to update officially from Samsung for now.
Thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-Take care, Rob

@tenthsun