Galaxy Nexus to HTC Droid DNA

Search This thread

iArtisan

Oct 30, 2011
I'm currently debating whether to pick up the Galaxy Note 2 or the HTC DNA. I love the form factor of the DNA and it's 1080p, sense has always been of interest as well. I currently own a Galaxy Nexus, the new Nexus 4 is kind of underwhelming so I think I'm gonna take a break from the google line of devices.

what do you guys say?

nrage23

I looked at both before I got the DNA. The Galaxy Note 2 was just to big for me. The screen on the DNA is much better. The also I prefer Sense over Touchwiz and Sense 4+ is the best yet. The biggest problem people have with DNA is the 16gb of space on the phone. You can easily get around this since the phone has usb-otg built in. With an adapter you plug in any size USB device. I have a dongle with a 64gb microsd card. It also works with TWRP recovery so you can backup your phone to it if you choose to unlock your phone.

iArtisan

Oct 30, 2011
The DNA is also a world phone, correct? I live in Pakistan (where all the networks are GSM) and plan on having a friend of mine bring a DNA over from the states. I've read that they're unlocked out of the box and can be used on virtually any network.

amit_sen

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 27, 2011
New Delhi
The DNA is also a world phone, correct? I live in Pakistan (where all the networks are GSM) and plan on having a friend of mine bring a DNA over from the states. I've read that they're unlocked out of the box and can be used on virtually any network.

Yups, u should be able to use it in Pakistan. All GSM frequency/band are UNLOCKED in this phone.
Iam using mine in India :D:D

My previous phone was also a GNex.
DNA is at another level to GNex. Quad-core, Bigger and better screen , better sound quality, better camera, better battery life.
The only thing GNex has over DNA is custom ROMs. But you should try out ViperDNA. It kicks ass !!
We should be getting AOSP pretty soon :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

danielhall2689

Aug 19, 2012
Atlanta
The thing that sold me was the 1080p screen... Everything looks phenomenal on this thing. I was nervous about the battery life but that had ended up impressing me also. This has honestly be the best phone I have ever owned

iArtisan

Oct 30, 2011
man you guys are getting me pumped. I might have the phone by the 3rd week of march.

The only thing that bothers me is the Verizon logo tbqh.

cc16177

Mar 13, 2009
I bought the note 2 but after two weeks it was just too big. Swapped it for this and never looked back!

For what it's worth I came from galaxy nexus and get easily double the battery life on this phone.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

holla420

Oct 6, 2011
Atlanta,Ga
I was on a gnex before I got my DNA I'm happy as hell with mines. Unlocked,rooted,s-off,viper Rom, can't go wrong with that;)

sent from my beastly powered viper DNA using Tapatalk 2

jaysckap

Sep 21, 2010
I could not be happier leaving the gnex

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

CharliesTheMan

I'm surprised to see so many gnex owners made the switch to DNA. That says a lot about the quality of the phone in my opinion. I'm not surprised you guys love the phone though, I guess its just that I've seen so much (unnecessary in my opinion) debate about all the things wrong with sense and HTC from gnex users.

I'm one of the rare people that loves both, but if I wasn't allowed more than one interface it would definitely be sense.

In regards to the OP, how serious of a hardcore android gamer are you?

Sent from my DNA... S-Off like a baws

sn1p3r6992

Jun 13, 2010
Hickory, NC
I came from a GNEX and haven't looked back. I miss the roms but it is honestly a relief to be able to sit on one rom for a month with no issues and stellar battery life.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

Reactions: cc16177

TheJ0hnman

Sep 26, 2011
Cincinnati
I'm going to provide a somewhat tenuous dissenting opinion. I'm coming from a Gnex, and picked up a DNA last night, which I'm considering switching to full time. After 24 hours with it, I'm quite pleased by the hardware, and utterly horrified by the software.

Sense is, in my opinion, complete and utter crap. There's no other way for me to put it, I hate almost everything about it. It's as if they locked several caffeinated adolescent boys in a room and told them to design a skin while watching episodes of Transformers. Viper is making it somewhat tolerable, but man am I anxiously awaiting AOSP. That said... the hardware, oh the hardware. The screen is simply gorgeous, and the battery life is easily twice what I got with my Gnex. In addition, I have 2-3 bars of 4G at work where I had 0-1 bars of 3G before.

The hardware advantages this has over the Gnex are sufficient to keep me from selling this thing in the hopes that AOSP is coming soon. If anyone reading is on the fence, and isn't sure how they'll feel about Sense, I'd advise waiting for prices to come down. I'll probably still pop my SIM into the Gnex here and there to experience Android as it was intended to be.

wireman2161

Aug 25, 2011
REDFIELD ,AR.
I too came from the gnex and while I loved the phone itself and devolopment. I couldnt stand the poor reception and battery life. I got the DNA on launch day and have never regreted it. battery life is great and so is the radio reception! As far as development goes you cant beat Viper rom been running it for a good while now and dont even miss AOKP anymore .I am sure you will love this phone!

sn1p3r6992

Jun 13, 2010
Hickory, NC
I'm going to provide a somewhat tenuous dissenting opinion. I'm coming from a Gnex, and picked up a DNA last night, which I'm considering switching to full time. After 24 hours with it, I'm quite pleased by the hardware, and utterly horrified by the software.

Sense is, in my opinion, complete and utter crap. There's no other way for me to put it, I hate almost everything about it. It's as if they locked several caffeinated adolescent boys in a room and told them to design a skin while watching episodes of Transformers. Viper is making it somewhat tolerable, but man am I anxiously awaiting AOSP. That said... the hardware, oh the hardware. The screen is simply gorgeous, and the battery life is easily twice what I got with my Gnex. In addition, I have 2-3 bars of 4G at work where I had 0-1 bars of 3G before.

The hardware advantages this has over the Gnex are sufficient to keep me from selling this thing in the hopes that AOSP is coming soon. If anyone reading is on the fence, and isn't sure how they'll feel about Sense, I'd advise waiting for prices to come down. I'll probably still pop my SIM into the Gnex here and there to experience Android as it was intended to be.

As much as I hated it when I first switched, I actually kind of like sense now.... But maybe because every phone I have had before this one I ran CM or some form of aosp and the "newness" of sense keeps me interested. I really LOVE sense camera especially with the mod to make compression next to minimal. I get amazing pictures that the aosp (bless its soul) could never produce.

iArtisan

Oct 30, 2011
I'm surprised to see so many gnex owners made the switch to DNA. That says a lot about the quality of the phone in my opinion. I'm not surprised you guys love the phone though, I guess its just that I've seen so much (unnecessary in my opinion) debate about all the things wrong with sense and HTC from gnex users.

I'm one of the rare people that loves both, but if I wasn't allowed more than one interface it would definitely be sense.

In regards to the OP, how serious of a hardcore android gamer are you?

Sent from my DNA... S-Off like a baws

I actually don't game all that much, I might start though with that beautiful 1080p 5" screen. That said, I'm aware that many games don't work just yet, if that's the point you're insinuating.

As much as I hated it when I first switched, I actually kind of like sense now.... But maybe because every phone I have had before this one I ran CM or some form of aosp and the "newness" of sense keeps me interested. I really LOVE sense camera especially with the mod to make compression next to minimal. I get amazing pictures that the aosp (bless its soul) could never produce.

This is exactly how I feel. Having first owned a G2x and then a Galaxy Nexus, the untainted google experience is starting to get a little stale. This is why I hope the DNA and sense will distract me for at least a year or longer... especially if Sense 5 is on the way.

civicsisedan

Jun 25, 2010
AL/GA
Can only add to what others have said. I also came from the Nexus. Before that I had the incredible and sense.

The piss poor reception is what ultimately made me pay full retail for the DNA. Only downfall is the 16GB memory and annoying WiFi notification.

This phone is amazing though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Big_Show

Jul 5, 2012
Chandler
I just recently made the jump from the Galaxy Nexus to the Droid DNA. I resisted Sense at first being so used to the Stock UI but have come to really enjoy it. This phone is amazing though. Beautiful screen and very snappy performance. Anyone know how easily the back cover scratches? I prefer the naked feel and don't really want a case. In short it was a good move to go to the DNA.

BS

jscharf10

Oct 22, 2010
The process

so my question is what is the process of unlocking and turning s-off on this bad boy, i have never owned a htc device before

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I came from a GNEX and haven't looked back. I miss the roms but it is honestly a relief to be able to sit on one rom for a month with no issues and stellar battery life.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium