A: Having Problems Rooting the Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900/905? TRY THIS!

Search This thread

VenomousViper

Mar 4, 2012
Boca Raton
**NOTE** For the SM-P900! However steps should be the same for SM-P905 EXCLUDING THE FILE TYPES (THEY ARE DIFFERENT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE FILES FOR THE SM-P900 OR BYE BYE TO YOUR NOTE 12.2 Pro because now you have a problem that may or may not be repairable/reversible). You just have to make sure you have the coordinating files for the process!

If anyone else has issues try this and these steps to complete the Root/Custom ROM/TWRP Recovery installations successfully for a "First time go":

1. Remove Kies and Kies3 files, related files, folders, and everything that has anything to do with the primary installation of either the two programs on your PC and your devices. When/if prompted, select the checkable box and elect not save any type of files... if you want to keep them save them OFF your main PC on a flash or removable storage device.

2. REMOVE ALL SAMSUNG DRIVERS AND REPLACE WITH ONLY OFFICIAL SAMSUNG DRIVES!!! THIS IS A BIG MUST!

3. Using your USB 2.0 cable and ports Install the Custom Rom "P900XXUANB3-RecoveryImg.tar" FIRST and flash it via ODIN 3.07 under the PDA checkbox that is "fixed" (so you noobs don’t make any soft bricks if this is your first attempt at rooting), and only use the ODIN 3.07 THAT COMES W/ CHAINFIRES AUTO ROOT .zip file and then unzip the folder to open ODIN 3.07 ONLY! This is only because I have read that there have been issues installing the SU via Chain Fires Auto Root Process... the file is called (currently as of 25 JUNE 2014) "P900XXUANB3-RecoveryImg.tar" PDA select it and then start when in DOWNLOAD MODE on your device. Manually select DOWNLOAD MODE if you have to BEFORE PRESSING START! Otherwise, one is just going to sit there and not accomplish anything.
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2591013&d=1392923580
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2591159&d=1392930654
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2775098&d=1401644348
4 Reboot back into DOWNLOAD MODE. Flash in ODIN 3.07 with the PDA section and select this file next to install: "openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-v1awifi.img.tar"

5. In DOWNLOAD MODE and flash the file under the PDA box TWRP (OR CURRENT RECOVERY OF YOUR CHOICE THAT IS AVAILABLE)

6. AGAIN... Restart your device into DOWNLOAD MODE via ODIN 3.07 and select PDA and then finally root this: "CF-Auto-Root-v1awifi-v1awifixx-smp900.tar.md5" Then you can backup, restore, flash anything, and be happy! YOU SHOULD FINALLY HAVE A SUCCESSFUL ROOT! Turn off and REBOOT into RECOVERY to see if TWRP stuck and then reboot to see if the SU stuck. IF everything stuck reboot back into TWRP to flash whatever rom is available MAKE SURE TO BACK UP EVERY FILE BEFORE YOU FLASH ANY NON-STOCK ROMS. If not successful rinse wash and repeat until it does!
http://download.chainfire.eu/384/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-v1awifi-v1awifixx-smp900.zip

7. That’s it you should have root and a custom rom and recovery if you followed these instructions for flashing via ODIN 3.07 and Chainfires AutoRoot files. If you still have an issue repeat until root/recovery/Rom sticks. If you have to update the Binary for the SU just go to the Google Play Store and install the app and then try it again till it works. GOOD LUCK it worked for me this way!

**IMPORTANT**
BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP after every flash that is possible to back up. If you can, back up the NON-SU stock ROM BEFORE installing SU, after installing the recovery and/or back up.

***IF I HELPED YOU OUT THANK ME***

DISCLAIMER - all research was observed via comments on the thread according to issues people have been having during ROOTING the device I simply have compiled the data and made a check list!

Last edited:

sstea

Dec 17, 2008
Thanks. Very helpful.

I have a P900. Is there a way to unroot and bring a unit back to stock? My main concern is if Samsung sends out a software/firmware update, and a device is already rooted, can the update be applied?

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks. Very helpful.

I have a P900. Is there a way to unroot and bring a unit back to stock? My main concern is if Samsung sends out a software/firmware update, and a device is already rooted, can the update be applied?

Read THIS

But still one quiestion, why the heck you root your device if you are going to update it via Samsung's official ways. Ah and one more question.. why the heck would you want to update your device if it's rooted?

A new update from Samsung can patch all known security holes and make your device unrootable, and since you are rooted now, one would think that you don't want to loose it. Or where do I know if you rooted because it sounded nice and cool, without knowing what you did and most importantly WHY you did.

Last edited:

sstea

Dec 17, 2008
Read THIS

But still one quiestion, why the heck you root your device if you are going to update it via Samsung's official ways. Ah and one more question.. why the heck would you want to update your device if it's rooted?

A new update from Samsung can patch all known security holes and make your device unrootable, and since you are rooted now, one would think that you don't want to loose it. Or where do I know if you rooted because it sounded nice and cool, without knowing what you did and most importantly WHY you did.

Thanks. I appreciate the reply. I have rooted many devices before. I have to admit that it was more of following posted instructions and not fully understanding the details. What gives me pause is how extremely limited the support is for this tablet. I want to root my note if I can make it more responsive, get rid of bloatware, enable more apps for multi-window, titanium backup, etc. I want to make sure that if I root that I don't get stuck with on an old release. So will previously rooted Notes be able to get the necessary files to easily update and maintain root, or does rooting now mean that a tablet may be stuck at the current release? Thanks

Spere

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks. I appreciate the reply. I have rooted many devices before. I have to admit that it was more of following posted instructions and not fully understanding the details. What gives me pause is how extremely limited the support is for this tablet. I want to root my note if I can make it more responsive, get rid of bloatware, enable more apps for multi-window, titanium backup, etc. I want to make sure that if I root that I don't get stuck with on an old release. So will previously rooted Notes be able to get the necessary files to easily update and maintain root, or does rooting now mean that a tablet may be stuck at the current release? Thanks

You can always flash stock firmware via odin

VenomousViper

Mar 4, 2012
Boca Raton
I was just wondering if everyone was having a much easier time with achieving root now? Kies caused me to "Hang" a lot during the Root and custom rom to stick w root... as of right now i can not get the only ONE custom ROM that looks promising, i have found by GWatts (correct me if i am wrong and i apologize if i have typed the wrong screen name handle) i believe his handle is... at this point im not sure what i am doing wrong as of yet but im sure i am missing a step or i just need to start back at unroot back to stock firmware and try and try again lol. not saying anything is wrong with his work at all by any means because people other than me with the same device have gotten it to stick and im just wishing i could as well because its sweet looking ROM! NOT TO MENTION THE ONLY ONE THAT IS OUT (that is which i know about. i haven't been on in a few months idk), SO KUDOS TO WATTS i just haven't been successful at installing his custom rom just yet... Im hoping that its just going to need to be erased again and then reformatted after a factory reset and what not, i pray it sticks because his incorporation of the aroma installer was a nice touch and his ROM really looks good... Now if i can just get it not to stick at samsung boot logo and freeze id be good lol!

pnuker

Jan 25, 2014
I followed your instructions but while flashing the cf-auto-root file my screen got all distorted (speckled grains of color), and nothing else happened for about 15 minutes, until I just unplugged it and shut it off.

Now when I power it on it gives me the error "Firmware upgrade uncountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

I wonder what I did wrong.

pnuker

Jan 25, 2014
I followed your instructions but while flashing the cf-auto-root file my screen got all distorted (speckled grains of color), and nothing else happened for about 15 minutes, until I just unplugged it and shut it off.

Now when I power it on it gives me the error "Firmware upgrade uncountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again."

I wonder what I did wrong.

**Edit**
I went back and reflashed the twrp file and it got me out of the error screen. I installed supersu, and then re-flashed the cf-auto-root file, and it worked like a charm. I'm not sure if it was the installation of supersu, or just repeating the process that fixed it, but I'm happy either way...

bigbot3

Mar 31, 2006
Thank you! I succesfully rooted my SM-P900 after all mentioned problems ( hanging in the cache.img and after a while a disturbed screen etc.) with your guide. I am a very happy rooter now.

LonWar

Oct 26, 2014
Thanks,

Thanks to the poster. I tried rooting with the instructions from a few other sites and thought I bricked it,
Followed your instructions, and presto.. Rooted! :good:

frankiecxyz

Sep 25, 2014
Rooted!

Thanks for your post. This is my first time ever rooting a device. Your method worked perfectly! :)

VenomousViper

Mar 4, 2012
Boca Raton
your welcome!

Thanks for your post. This is my first time ever rooting a device. Your method worked perfectly! :)

your very welcome! it took me a bit to get it down but i eventually figured it out and at the time information on rooting the device was hard to find with this specific model. then i discovered what the issues where and felt the need to post it! im glad i could help!:laugh:

Yemble

Sep 2, 2013
Bradford
Flash SU with TWRP not ODIN

Here's my story...

Received my new UK spec SM-P900 Note Pro 12.2, ran through the initial setup, performed two OTA upgrades to KOT49H.P900XXUANI1, then attempted to flash SU using Odin 3.07 using the various instructions on this forum. Result: failed cache flash and soft brick!

Used Keis 3 to recover the tablet which took two hours! After more reading I discovered the quick boot recovery flash method, so re-attempted on a different PC, with exactly the same result. Re-flashed the boot, tried again, fail, again, fail, etc, etc. Various permutations of PCs, Odin versions and USB ports were tried.

Concluded that the Odin method was NEVER going to work, so had a rethink. Used Odin to flash TWRP v2.8. Downloaded the latest SU-BETA v2.7 flash for TWRP (not Odin), copied it to the root of the tablet SD and then flashed it with TWRP. Worked first time with no messing about!!!

Booted, ran SU and upgraded to Premium, disabled KNOX from within SU. Tablet locked up. Booted, re-ran SU, disabled KNOX again, this time successfully. Ran Titanium, filtered with KNOX and froze all occurrences, then de-installed KNOX completely. :good:

Lesson learnt... DO NOT use Odin to flash SU on a P900 !

Last edited:

nickabl

Dec 10, 2014
soft bricked

Hello!

First of all let me say that I'm a complete newbie, this is my first android device. I tried to root my SM-P900 (P900XXUANI1) using an online guide (image with URL attached, as I am not allowed to paste URLs)

Unfortunately at Step 10 (flashing with Odin) the operation failed and now I ended up with a soft bricked device (I assume this is the correct definition). It will only show the message asking me to connect it to KIES to recover it.

I know i can try to use KIES 3 and restore it, but before that i would like to ask if there is any alternative which will allow me to unbrick the device without losing all my data... (yeah i know...).

If i follow this guide will this help? I'm not sure if I can even put the device in download mode again as it shows the error message about connecting it to KIES...
At this point I don't care about rooting, I just want to unbrick the device.... I understand the guide up to (and including) step 3. But for the rest of the steps I'm lost :( Could anyone please explain them in a bit more detail? I don't want to install any custom firmware, just to unbrick it...

Any help would be very appreciated!
Thank you

Attachments

• link.png
    link.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 357

nemo1966

Jan 28, 2015
Here's my story...

Received my new UK spec SM-P900 Note Pro 12.2, ran through the initial setup, performed two OTA upgrades to KOT49H.P900XXUANI1, then attempted to flash SU using Odin 3.07 using the various instructions on this forum. Result: failed cache flash and soft brick!

Used Keis 3 to recover the tablet which took two hours! After more reading I discovered the quick boot recovery flash method, so re-attempted on a different PC, with exactly the same result. Re-flashed the boot, tried again, fail, again, fail, etc, etc. Various permutations of PCs, Odin versions and USB ports were tried.

Concluded that the Odin method was NEVER going to work, so had a rethink. Used Odin to flash TWRP v2.8. Downloaded the latest SU-BETA v2.7 flash for TWRP (not Odin), copied it to the root of the tablet SD and then flashed it with TWRP. Worked first time with no messing about!!!

Booted, ran SU and upgraded to Premium, disabled KNOX from within SU. Tablet locked up. Booted, re-ran SU, disabled KNOX again, this time successfully. Ran Titanium, filtered with KNOX and froze all occurrences, then de-installed KNOX completely. :good:

Lesson learnt... DO NOT use Odin to flash SU on a P900 !

Have you got a link to the odin rwrp 2.7 you used and the su 2.7 flash for twrp please?

Psy_pmP

Feb 4, 2015
**NOTE** For the SM-P900! However steps should be the same for SM-P905 EXCLUDING THE FILE TYPES (THEY ARE DIFFERENT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE FILES FOR THE SM-P900 OR BYE BYE TO YOUR NOTE 12.2 Pro because now you have a problem that may or may not be repairable/reversible). You just have to make sure you have the coordinating files for the process!

If anyone else has issues try this and these steps to complete the Root/Custom ROM/TWRP Recovery installations successfully for a "First time go":

1. Remove Kies and Kies3 files, related files, folders, and everything that has anything to do with the primary installation of either the two programs on your PC and your devices. When/if prompted, select the checkable box and elect not save any type of files... if you want to keep them save them OFF your main PC on a flash or removable storage device.

2. REMOVE ALL SAMSUNG DRIVERS AND REPLACE WITH ONLY OFFICIAL SAMSUNG DRIVES!!! THIS IS A BIG MUST!.......

When i trying root, my SGN freeze in "cache". Odin show error and tablet goes to Emergency Firmware Recovery. Аnd it does not matter what program I use and how I do it.

sunnykhs

Feb 11, 2015
Mine Reboots Constantly

I rooted my SM-900 about two weeks ago.
It worked great for a week until the device started rebooting by itself.
The first time a couple times a day, now it does it whenever as often as twice in 5 minutes.
Is there a way to see which app is causing this or does anyone know why this might be happening?
Though I rooted I haven't been poking around. I figured it'd be like using Linux but now I see it's not quite like that.
Thanks in advance.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I rooted my SM-900 about two weeks ago.
It worked great for a week until the device started rebooting by itself.
The first time a couple times a day, now it does it whenever as often as twice in 5 minutes.
Is there a way to see which app is causing this or does anyone know why this might be happening?
Though I rooted I haven't been poking around. I figured it'd be like using Linux but now I see it's not quite like that.
Thanks in advance.

Have you cleared dalvic cache and cache in TWRP recovery? Be forewarned the process takes a while for cache wipe.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. REMOVE ALL SAMSUNG DRIVERS AND REPLACE WITH ONLY OFFICIAL SAMSUNG DRIVES!!! THIS IS A BIG MUST!

3. Using your USB 2.0 cable and ports Install the Custom Rom "P900XXUANB3-RecoveryImg.tar" FIRST and flash it via ODIN 3.07 under the PDA checkbox that is "fixed" (so you noobs don’t make any soft bricks if this is your first attempt at rooting), and only use the ODIN 3.07 THAT COMES W/ CHAINFIRES AUTO ROOT .zip file and then unzip the folder to open ODIN 3.07 ONLY! This is only because I have read that there have been issues installing the SU via Chain Fires Auto Root Process... the file is called (currently as of 25 JUNE 2014) "P900XXUANB3-RecoveryImg.tar" PDA select it and then start when in DOWNLOAD MODE on your device. Manually select DOWNLOAD MODE if you have to BEFORE PRESSING START! Otherwise, one is just going to sit there and not accomplish anything.
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2591013&d=1392923580
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2591159&d=1392930654
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2775098&d=1401644348
    4 Reboot back into DOWNLOAD MODE. Flash in ODIN 3.07 with the PDA section and select this file next to install: "openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-v1awifi.img.tar"

5. In DOWNLOAD MODE and flash the file under the PDA box TWRP (OR CURRENT RECOVERY OF YOUR CHOICE THAT IS AVAILABLE)

6. AGAIN... Restart your device into DOWNLOAD MODE via ODIN 3.07 and select PDA and then finally root this: "CF-Auto-Root-v1awifi-v1awifixx-smp900.tar.md5" Then you can backup, restore, flash anything, and be happy! YOU SHOULD FINALLY HAVE A SUCCESSFUL ROOT! Turn off and REBOOT into RECOVERY to see if TWRP stuck and then reboot to see if the SU stuck. IF everything stuck reboot back into TWRP to flash whatever rom is available MAKE SURE TO BACK UP EVERY FILE BEFORE YOU FLASH ANY NON-STOCK ROMS. If not successful rinse wash and repeat until it does!
    http://download.chainfire.eu/384/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-v1awifi-v1awifixx-smp900.zip

7. That’s it you should have root and a custom rom and recovery if you followed these instructions for flashing via ODIN 3.07 and Chainfires AutoRoot files. If you still have an issue repeat until root/recovery/Rom sticks. If you have to update the Binary for the SU just go to the Google Play Store and install the app and then try it again till it works. GOOD LUCK it worked for me this way!

**IMPORTANT**
    BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP after every flash that is possible to back up. If you can, back up the NON-SU stock ROM BEFORE installing SU, after installing the recovery and/or back up.

***IF I HELPED YOU OUT THANK ME***

DISCLAIMER - all research was observed via comments on the thread according to issues people have been having during ROOTING the device I simply have compiled the data and made a check list!
    I have a Note Pro 12.2 on 4.4.2 with P900XXUANI1 stock firmware (UK P900 wifi only tablet)

Here are the files (bottom) I used: and everything is working great! These files are on my webserver. Either use these or find the same on the twrp site etc

Put the file UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip onto the sdcard root directory

Then Use Odin to flash twrp file: openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.0-v1awifi.img.tar

Then boot into twrp and select the Supersu file from the sdcard and install it -

Done in 2 mins

Links on my webserver:
    http://www.freerabbitcontrol.co.uk/P900/openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.0-v1awifi.img.tar
    http://www.freerabbitcontrol.co.uk/P900/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip