[SOLVED] USB Tethering - Missing RNDIS Driver

Search This thread

jacksonwalters

Jun 17, 2009
Problem: I'm trying to USB tether my phone using a Wi-Fi connection (3G is not available atm). I connect my phone to my PC. I go into menu -> settings -> Wireless & network settings -> tethering & portable hotspot, and check USB tethering. Device manager says an RNDIS driver is missing.

Setup: Rooted (using unRevoked) HTC Incredible running CyanogenMod 7.03, not overclocked atm. USB debugging is enabled. I am running Windows 7 64-bit on my PC. Everything is running smoothly.

What I've tried:
  • I've searched everywhere and cannot find this driver. Of course, Windows 7 cannot find it online.
  • I can't install ActiveSync because I am running Windows 7.
  • I've installed Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1, but it still can't find the driver.
  • The Google OEM USB drivers out of the Android SDK don't work.
  • Without HTC Sync installed, I simply do not have the RNDIS driver. With HTC sync installed, this is what happens: The RNDIS driver gets installed, but when I check the USB tethering box on my phone, it goes on for a second, and then immediately goes off again.

Please help, this is one of the most frustrating problems I've ever dealt with, and it seems to be a simple driver issue. :confused:

Jackson

*EDIT* This solved it.

Attachments

• activesync.jpg
    activesync.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 40,345
Last edited:

smtom

Aug 26, 2010
Good learning, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: edylaw

Android1126

Nov 23, 2010
New York
Problem: I'm trying to USB tether my phone using a Wi-Fi connection (3G is not available atm). I connect my phone to my PC. I go into menu -> settings -> Wireless & network settings -> tethering & portable hotspot, and check USB tethering. Device manager says an RNDIS driver is missing.

Setup: Rooted (using unRevoked) HTC Incredible running CyanogenMod 7.03, not overclocked atm. USB debugging is enabled. I am running Windows 7 64-bit on my PC. Everything is running smoothly.

What I've tried:
  • I've searched everywhere and cannot find this driver. Of course, Windows 7 cannot find it online.
  • I've installed Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1, but it still can't find the driver.
  • Without HTC Sync installed, I simply do not have the RNDIS driver. With HTC sync installed, this is what happens: The RNDIS driver gets installed, but when I check the USB tethering box on my phone, it goes on for a second, and then immediately goes off again.

Please help, this is one of the most frustrating problems I've ever dealt with, and it seems to be a simple driver issue. :confused:

Jackson

*EDIT* This solved it.
Thank you for the Thanks. haha. =oD

Schattenspieler

Oct 18, 2011
Just to save some people some heavy head scratching: If you get error 10 for the RNDIS device in the device manager and USB-tethering does not work, disable USB-debugging for the time being. :confused:

Reactions: happy76

sachin.mishra

Jan 12, 2014
Lucknow
Worked for me...

thanks its works for me I downloaded that 8 Mb File and followed the steps mentioned in .txt file,,,, ")
thanks gokullal for the ultimate solution

teja1995

Jun 23, 2015
need help

This works for all operating systems(hopefully) , and i have tried it for windows 8 to connect karbonn A12 via tethering
i have followed your procedure but i get "the specified folder does not contain information about your hardware".how should i solve this..i use android one mobile an my pc's operating system is xp

erkange

Sep 9, 2010
RNDIS_Driver_Windows7_8

I had same problem. My asus zenfone 6 was not able to usb tethering on my windows 8.1 computer.
I got help frım this topic but it was not clear. So clear how to is shown below.

First download the driver and unrar it.

1. Connect your phone, open usb tethering
2. go to your device manager.
3. Find the Device with the little ? and then maybe a yellow !. (RDNIS)
4. Right click that device and select Update Driver.
5. When the window pops up, select, Browse My Computer for driver software, then on the next screen, click on the bottom that says, LET ME PICK.
6. Then it will ask you the device type, go down select Network Adapters.
7. Select microsoft as manufacturer and select Microsoft Corporation.
8. Then, select Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
9. Hit next, it will say it's not safe, etc etc, proceed to install it.

Attachments

• RNDIS_driver_64bit.rar
    4.5 MB · Views: 8,325
Apr 28, 2016
Select the rndis in device manager then click on update then select manually then search for Microsoft then click on rndis based Internet sharing then install. .. u all done enjoy. .. For more details contact pallabpanja8@gmail.com

calinb7

Oct 13, 2016
Tethering With XP-64 Pro And Remote NDIS Install

It took me about a day to figure this out and yes, some of us still use XP. (I use it for mechanical CAD work, because I can't afford to buy all new CAD proggies, which would be required, if I upgraded Windows.) Tethering now works great and I can even share the connection further using MS Internet sharing on XP, which provides the tethered Internet to machines on my wired network and wifi router without having to connect them to my Moto G4 Plus. This means I can also place whatever firewall I choose in the path and extend the wifi range (my Netgear wifi signal is more powerful than my Moto G4 Plus).

I tried two .inf files. The only one that worked was produced by cutting and pasting to an .inf file from here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/remote-ndis-inf-template#rndis-inf-template-for-ndis-60-windows-7-and-later

Then I had to explicitly add my Moto G4 Plus ID, as described here (remembering to enable USB tethering on my Moto G4 phone AFTER plugging it into my Windows computer):
http://karceh.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-usb-tether-android-phones-with.html

The rest of the install was nearly as described here in this xda-dev thread. Browse directly to the .inf file when given the chance to select the driver.

Here is my .inf file with my Moto G4 ID (you'll need to replace it with your phone's ID in the right spot, of course). Search for "Moto G4" to see where I placed my G4's ID:

Code:
; Remote NDIS template device setup file
; Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
;
; This is the template for the INF installation script 
; for the RNDIS-over-USB host driver.
; This INF works for Windows XP SP2, Windows XP x64, 
; Windows Server 2003 SP1 x86, x64, and ia64, and 
; Windows Vista x86 and x64.
; This INF will work with Windows XP, Windows XP SP1, 
; and Windows 2003 after applying specific hotfixes.

[Version]
Signature           = "$Windows NT$"
Class               = Net
ClassGUID           = {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider            = %Microsoft%
DriverVer           =06/21/2006,6.0.6000.16384
;CatalogFile        = device.cat

[Manufacturer]
%Microsoft%         = RndisDevices,NTx86,NTamd64,NTia64

; Decoration for x86 architecture
[RndisDevices.NTx86]
%RndisDevice%    = RNDIS.NT.5.1, USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy

; Decoration for x64 architecture
[RndisDevices.NTamd64]
; My Moto G4
%RndisDevice%    = RNDIS.NT.5.1, USB\VID_22B8&PID_2E24

; Decoration for ia64 architecture
[RndisDevices.NTia64]

;@@@ This is the common setting for setup
[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=*

; DDInstall section
; References the in-build Netrndis.inf
[RNDIS.NT.5.1]
Characteristics = 0x84   ; NCF_PHYSICAL + NCF_HAS_UI
BusType         = 15
; NEVER REMOVE THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE FOR NETRNDIS.INF
include         = netrndis.inf
needs           = Usb_Rndis.ndi
AddReg          = Rndis_AddReg_Vista

; DDInstal.Services section
[RNDIS.NT.5.1.Services]
include     = netrndis.inf
needs       = Usb_Rndis.ndi.Services

; Optional registry settings. You can modify as needed.
[RNDIS_AddReg_Vista] 
HKR, NDI\params\VistaProperty, ParamDesc,  0, %Vista_Property%
HKR, NDI\params\VistaProperty, type,       0, "edit"
HKR, NDI\params\VistaProperty, LimitText,  0, "12"
HKR, NDI\params\VistaProperty, UpperCase,  0, "1"
HKR, NDI\params\VistaProperty, default,    0, " "
HKR, NDI\params\VistaProperty, optional,   0, "1"

; No sys copyfiles - the sys files are already in-build 
; (part of the operating system).

; Modify these strings for your device as needed.
[Strings]
Microsoft             = "Microsoft Corporation"
RndisDevice           = "Remote NDIS based Device"
Vista_Property        = "Optional Vista Property"

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What I've tried:

Jackson

*EDIT* This solved it.
    Missing RNDIS driver (karbonn A12) windows 8

This works for all operating systems(hopefully) , and i have tried it for windows 8 to connect karbonn A12 via tethering
    password

sir i need a password

priceandspecification.in
    Good learning, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA Premium App
    Just to save some people some heavy head scratching: If you get error 10 for the RNDIS device in the device manager and USB-tethering does not work, disable USB-debugging for the time being. :confused: