[Q] Need help updating to 4.4 from VS98010B

Search This thread

Rober7

Feb 4, 2013
Hello everyone:

This will be my second post here, so please be gentle...

As you can see, I have the VS98010B FW, and although I've spent a whole day searching in this forum (an others) how to even get the 12B FW to at least get started with the update, have failed in every attempt...

I'm on Mac, but have tried the Upgrade Assistant on Windows, and it doesn't even recognise it. The OTA update doesn't work either, so I'm stuck.

So please: what do I have to do to upgrade my phone???

Forgot to mention that I did a Factory Reset, but some how kept root access.

Thanks in advanced for your help,

Last edited:

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
Hello everyone:

This will be my second post here, so please be gentle...

As you can see, I have the VS98010B FW, and although I've spent a whole day searching in this forum (an others) how to even get the 12B FW to at least get started with the update, have failed in every attempt...

I'm on Mac, but have tried the Upgrade Assistant on Windows, and it doesn't even recognise it. The OTA update doesn't work either, so I'm stuck.

So please: what do I have to do to upgrade my phone???

Forgot to mention that I did a Factory Reset, but some how kept root access.

Thanks in advanced for your help,

If you have access to a windows machine, wipe it back to stock and let it take the OTA, you can root it with ioroot25 afterwards.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448960

A factory reset just wipes the /data directory, it doesn't touch /system where your root apps are (su, busybox)

Rober7

Feb 4, 2013
If you have access to a windows machine, wipe it back to stock and let it take the OTA, you can root it with ioroot25 afterwards.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448960

A factory reset just wipes the /data directory, it doesn't touch /system where your root apps are (su, busybox)

Thanks for replying! Took my time to reply back because I was following the tutorial you pointed (trying to do it on VB from Mac, but that's a whole other story), and finally got to do it right (now have the 11A FW)
BUT, when I hit the "Check New" to update, it hangs there for a minute and then says "Download Unsuccessful"...

I must clear out as well that I'm using it with another carrier (Orange) outside US.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Thanks for replying! Took my time to reply back because I was following the tutorial you pointed (trying to do it on VB from Mac, but that's a whole other story), and finally got to do it right (now have the 11A FW)
BUT, when I hit the "Check New" to update, it hangs there for a minute and then says "Download Unsuccessful"...

I must clear out as well that I'm using it with another carrier (Orange) outside US.
That is your issue then... you have to be on Verizon to get the OTA

To update you should try using Windows and use the Verizon LG Software Upgrade assistant software, it should prompt you to install it when you connect your phone to a PC. If it doesn't, open My Computer and look for a CD-ROM drive associates with your phone and run it.

Rober7

Feb 4, 2013
That is your issue then... you have to be on Verizon to get the OTA

To update you should try using Windows and use the Verizon LG Software Upgrade assistant software, it should prompt you to install it when you connect your phone to a PC. If it doesn't, open My Computer and look for a CD-ROM drive associates with your phone and run it.

First off, thanks for helping out as well. I tried that, but it doesn't see it. Today I upgraded to VS98012B, and followed this tutorial
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2699123 to force the OTA update.

Everything was fine until after the reboot: it said: "Softwareupdate fail!"

I'm getting a little bit frustrated with this... Is there a flashable version of the official KK?