[Q] Newbie wanting to "root" / Mod.

Search This thread

tholmes8291

Nov 1, 2010
Kentucky
Google Pixel 4a
Everything works on Vanir. Also if you want Sense 4.5 with much better battery life, completely stable, and everything works Sundreams ROM is great. And I would highly recommend s-off if you do root. It's very easy with rumrunner.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Snuzzo

Account currently disabled
Dec 31, 2010
https://t.me/pump_upp
t.me
So, there is problems with 3g too? Not sounding too promising at this point.

I haven't done anything yet because I want to make an informed decision before wiping my device. When I hear something doesn't work I ask my self why would I go from a fully functional OEM ROM to something that is not fully functional?

K

You may want to stay away from CM11. The 3G problem isn't necessarily a problem, just the indicator shows roaming. I give high regards to Evervolv for a daily driver. As far as the camera/camcorder goes, the kernel had to be heavily modified to even get it working. My rom and Evervolv I think are the only 2 roms with fully functional camcorder and gallery.

The easiest way to root; unlock, flash a custom recovery with fastboot (fastboot flash recovery "filename".img"), Choose a rom(GAPPS also if AOSP). Flash those. Then when done, since at this point the phone will still be s-on, flash the matching boot.img from the rom zip, fastboot flash boot boot.img. Once you do all of this once in future it will become second nature.

There is further modifications that can be done, like s-off or fastboot booting a recovery while s-on so it will flash matching boot during rom flash or even using flashify with a rom that has root to flash a boot.img and/or recovery.img.
@tholmes8291

I'm against s-off unless it will be flashaholics device.

Reactions: swilbert80

tholmes8291

Nov 1, 2010
Kentucky
Google Pixel 4a
@Snuzzo
That's true. I guess everyone isn't a flashalolic like me. Also, I had fully functional camcorder/playback and gallery on Vanir SpecOps with Focal camera as well

Sent from my HTC Rezound using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pball52998

Jan 1, 2014
I'm against s-off unless it will be flashaholics device.[/QUOTE]

I constantly flash a different ROM. I go back and forth between like 4 but use CM 11 the most.... Might try everolv. Who knows. I like flashing different ROMs..... Its fun just having that feeling....

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off

rumpus01

Apr 8, 2014
Okay... Well if you ever have a question or want to root/install a custom ROM.... Just pm me.. Or some others will be willing to help....

Hey OP,

I would really give rooting a go... I was in your shoes 3 days ago until good old pball helped me out. It really is insanely easy, and just work with S-on; it just requires a few extra steps during the root process and makes it less probable for a bricked device, from what I've read.

I have a thread in this same forum called "root noob questions". Pball gives an entire step-by-step guide on the process and it worked 100% (just make sure to read the entire thread, there's one step missed that we discussed).

I flashed Everevolv and wow, it is so much quicker and better functional than my original ROM. However, I am finding that Everevolv is not quite as stable as my stock ROM. Now that being said, it doesn't take my phone 10 minutes just to reboot, and music I add to my card actually shows up without rebooting for 10 minutes, weird sync **** is not happening all the time, there's no bloatware, google maps actually remembers my home & work address, things are much quicker. Battery life I am unsure about at the moment, but that is probably because I can't stop toying with it. I'm going to flash another ROM tonight and see how it compares.

Another thing I've learned from this whole process is that even though we all have a Rezound, performance varies greatly person to person. So obviously it will take some time testing new ROMs, (maybe your first will be fine for you) but I don't see my Rezound really lasting much longer without flashing it. I mean it's on 4.0.3 with no updates happening any more. That is insanely outdated in Android land. One other thing, you could always try 4.2 or 5.3 version of ROMs; I've read Kit Kat may not be the most stable since it's newer.

Reactions: pball52998

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay... Well if you ever have a question or want to root/install a custom ROM.... Just pm me.. Or some others will be willing to help....

So, there is problems with 3g too? Not sounding too promising at this point.

I haven't done anything yet because I want to make an informed decision before wiping my device. When I hear something doesn't work I ask my self why would I go from a fully functional OEM ROM to something that is not fully functional?

K

You may want to stay away from CM11. The 3G problem isn't necessarily a problem, just the indicator shows roaming. I give high regards to Evervolv for a daily driver. As far as the camera/camcorder goes, the kernel had to be heavily modified to even get it working. My rom and Evervolv I think are the only 2 roms with fully functional camcorder and gallery.

The easiest way to root; unlock, flash a custom recovery with fastboot (fastboot flash recovery "filename".img"), Choose a rom(GAPPS also if AOSP). Flash those. Then when done, since at this point the phone will still be s-on, flash the matching boot.img from the rom zip, fastboot flash boot boot.img. Once you do all of this once in future it will become second nature.

There is further modifications that can be done, like s-off or fastboot booting a recovery while s-on so it will flash matching boot during rom flash or even using flashify with a rom that has root to flash a boot.img and/or recovery.img.
    @tholmes8291

I'm against s-off unless it will be flashaholics device.

Hey OP,

I would really give rooting a go... I was in your shoes 3 days ago until good old pball helped me out. It really is insanely easy, and just work with S-on; it just requires a few extra steps during the root process and makes it less probable for a bricked device, from what I've read.

I have a thread in this same forum called "root noob questions". Pball gives an entire step-by-step guide on the process and it worked 100% (just make sure to read the entire thread, there's one step missed that we discussed).

I flashed Everevolv and wow, it is so much quicker and better functional than my original ROM. However, I am finding that Everevolv is not quite as stable as my stock ROM. Now that being said, it doesn't take my phone 10 minutes just to reboot, and music I add to my card actually shows up without rebooting for 10 minutes, weird sync **** is not happening all the time, there's no bloatware, google maps actually remembers my home & work address, things are much quicker. Battery life I am unsure about at the moment, but that is probably because I can't stop toying with it. I'm going to flash another ROM tonight and see how it compares.

Another thing I've learned from this whole process is that even though we all have a Rezound, performance varies greatly person to person. So obviously it will take some time testing new ROMs, (maybe your first will be fine for you) but I don't see my Rezound really lasting much longer without flashing it. I mean it's on 4.0.3 with no updates happening any more. That is insanely outdated in Android land. One other thing, you could always try 4.2 or 5.3 version of ROMs; I've read Kit Kat may not be the most stable since it's newer.