[N7 2013 WiFi | N7 2013 LTE] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 16 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage

- Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
- Extract the ZIP file
- Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolDown+Power to turn it on.
- Connect your device to your computer using USB

- Windows:
--- Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
--- chmod +x root-linux.sh
--- Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
--- chmod +x root-mac.sh
--- Run root-mac.sh

- Follow the on-screen instructions - watch both the computer and the device !

Note that if your device had not been unlocked before, this procedure will wipe all your data !

Are you having fastboot driver issues? You can find fastboot drivers in many places, but the easiest way is probably just installing the Android SDK.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - adbd Insecure
As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.

Last edited:

ppgregory

Dec 31, 2010
Newbie question - Once rooted with this method will I still get OTA updates? If so will it retain root?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

User_99

Jul 3, 2009
Yes, you will get OTA

BTW, you will get OTA's also with custom recovery like CWM, but you cannot install it via custom recovery. For that you need Stock recovery

User_99

Jul 3, 2009
Great that it works fine for you!
But that will work not for all customers. Some reported that after they recived and downloaded the OTA they got an error while installation in custom recovery.

Dovern

Dec 3, 2010
I rooted my Nexus 7c LTE..

now i can see an unlock logo in startup... anywhere i can remove it?

thanks!

User_99

Jul 3, 2009
No, that's normal for unlocked bootloader. Only not shown when you close the bootloader again.

chainer22

Jan 29, 2013
so if i want to install TWRP recovery, i have to flash it after i install CF-auto root?

how do i get to the steps u mentioned using mac?

Last edited:

rambo6

Jan 19, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Nope. Already tired twice.

It worked perfectly for me first try. I should say that I had just rooted my Nexus 7 LTE with Chainfire's method before I updated my N7 OTA. After the update, root was lost. I simply went through the steps again and re-rooted it. I should also state that I did not lose any of my data on during the 2nd root.

I'm going to donate to Chainfire.

Reactions: dcampogiani

galaxykeks

Aug 20, 2010
same here, only difference,
I came from a factory image fash. Auto root worked :)

Send from the N7²

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 16 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage

- Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
    - Extract the ZIP file
    - Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolDown+Power to turn it on.

- Windows:
    --- Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
    --- chmod +x root-linux.sh
    --- Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
    --- chmod +x root-mac.sh
    --- Run root-mac.sh

- Follow the on-screen instructions - watch both the computer and the device !

Note that if your device had not been unlocked before, this procedure will wipe all your data !

Are you having fastboot driver issues? You can find fastboot drivers in many places, but the easiest way is probably just installing the Android SDK.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    - Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolUp+VolDown+Power to turn it on.

For Flo, bootloader is volume down and power.
    Hi,
    My WiFi Nexus 7 just updated to 4.4.3 and I lost ROOT.
    Will the file in the first post work with 4.4.3? or is there an update coming?

Thanks. :)
    doesn't seem to work with android 6.0 ... hanging on boot forever ...

Chainfire has boot images for marshmallow. Check out the beta supersu thread.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk