Droid 2 Global unlock code

Search This thread

seventieslord

May 12, 2011
Mine has been "good" for up to 21 straight days on GSM on Rogers... Before I experience a dreaded radio reset. Sometimes it happens twice a day. You never know. This is why I am saying phone is unreliable. I am glad to hear yours is still behaving. But don't hurry to celebrate yet...

What do you mean by the dreaded radio reset?

I'm guessing it's just an unwanted airplane mode? Or is it worse?

And how would I remedy this if it was to happen to me? Off and on? I could handle that considering the slowness and random reboots I experienced with my old LG Eve (my wife who has a dumbphone wouldn't even accept it as a hand-me-down, LOL) - if it's a tougher solution than that, then I just might go crazy.

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
What do you mean by the dreaded radio reset?

I'm guessing it's just an unwanted airplane mode? Or is it worse?

And how would I remedy this if it was to happen to me? Off and on? I could handle that considering the slowness and random reboots I experienced with my old LG Eve (my wife who has a dumbphone wouldn't even accept it as a hand-me-down, LOL) - if it's a tougher solution than that, then I just might go crazy.

Phone tends to lose connection with network at random times with no warnings or anything. You realize that only after you try to use the phone. You can't place a call or send text, data doesn't work either. The only way out is power cycle the phone. This is what we call radio reset. Sure enough until you reboot the phone, nobody can call you or text you either, hence severity of this bug. Phone is unreliable as a communication device.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

seventieslord

May 12, 2011
Do we know if that is an issue with hardware, firmware, or software? And if so, any particular builds or versions? I'm at 13 days now, with no radio resets.

I use my data at regular points throughout the day, so if I experienced I reset, I'd know pretty quickly.

I can see how they can be pretty frustrating, in terms of missing calls and texts, though.

dohturdima

Jan 6, 2011
Just bought a Droid 2 Global for my wifey on fleabay, it's coming in the mail. The original owner told me it was never unlocked. Wifey plans to use it in US with existing VZW plan but occasionally will travel abroad and would like to use foreign SIMs. We don't plan to travel anytime soon but do have a vacation coming up in a month... What are my options re. unlocking D2G: should I request a code from VZW (or will they force me to wait x 60 days, even though I am not the original owner), or try with codes online/ TurboSIM? Will check, of course, if it's already unlocked by trying out a Vodafone SIM and an a T-Mo one ;)

Gasai Yuno

May 11, 2011
Rausu
You can circumvent VZW's “after 60 days” thing by telling them you really, really need to go abroad very, very soon. If one person in their Global support tells you it's impossible, wait a few hours and retry; the other one might be more helpful.

Reactions: dohturdima

eksempel_123

Dec 9, 2009
I've bought 3 of these phones. The first 2 worked perfect with the unlock codes. Sold the one to a friend and kept the other. Managed to loose my D2G, bought a new one from ebay. This phone is a real pain in the ass tho. None of the unlock codes work. I even called Verizon and asked for the code but they said the owner of the phone would have to call them and get it unlocked, which he wouldn't since it had a bad ESN.
What I learned: Don't buy BAD ESN phones unless they are GSM unlocked before they get flagged with bad esn. Verizon changes the unlock code.

I really hope ebay #200539432676 works.

mactherapy

Mar 12, 2005
Perth.au
Samsung Galaxy S10e
I have 2 D2Gs in Australia, they have both been running identical software, first stock and then fission. One was stable as a rock from new, and one had GSM issues and radio crashes like you. It turned out it was the sim card. Since I replaced the sim card with a newer unit, no more problem, some of the older 3g sim cards are incompatible with the D2G. Might be worth a try for you.

DrewVL

Apr 18, 2010
Beautiful British Columbia
I actually got one code only. 8 digit long. It worked. They provide 2 sometimes 3 codes, but you must use them separately. If 1 doesn't work, try 2, if 2 doesn't work try 3.
16 digit codes for D2G are IMO a scam (in connection with somebody mentioning a site selling "special" 16 digit codes for Droid 2 Global).

Hi,

I got mine unlocked and using my sim card from Rogers its seems fine then i switch to Wind so i i factory reset the phone so i can give it to my gf but when i insert my gf's Fido sim card it display roaming icon does this means it relock itself after the reset? she didnt use it because of that icon :(

Drew

blade725

Mar 3, 2011
Okay here's the deal guys

Supposedly the Droid 2 70% of the codes work, but you have to get it from the "manufacturer method". If you ordered it for under 10 dollars most likely its not the manufacturer method, therefore the codes probably won't work. I ordered 1 code from Cellunlocker.net and the code did not work and they explained to me 70% of the codes don't work and suggested I change the phone and try again. I had to film the code not working but regardless the second code they sent worked.
There are two codes that was sent to me, and the first one worked which was 8 digits.

Hope that helps

blade725

Mar 3, 2011
Oh and these are the instructions they gave from Cellunlocker.net :

Motorola A956 (Droid 2) unlock instructions:

* Make sure Network Mode is set to GSM/UTMS
* To enter the unlock code for motorola, phone, insert a foreign / unaccepted sim card and enter the unlock code.
* If your phone appears on the "Contact operator" or the inability to enter the code should leave the phone with a foreign sim card for about 30 minutes. After this time you are allowed to enter the code.

wordsforthewise

Jun 23, 2011
possible way to get unlock codes for free yourself? maybe even unlock phone for GSM??

I saw this post for how to unlock the samsung galaxy s 4g (sorry I can't just post a link, stupid forum rules won't let me since I'm a new user...:mad:):

theinfow.com/2011/03/how-to-unlock-samsung-galaxy-s-4g.html

maybe a similar thing could be done with droid 2 global :eek:. I checked quickly in the terminal and there is the same folder as in the galaxy:

/dev/block

which contains a load of files, but not the particular file they use for the galaxy. I'm betting the unlock code(s) for each phone is in one of those files just like with the galaxy s 4g!! I'm going to start looking through some to see if I can find something useful. This folder may also hold the key to unlocking GSM for use in USA, not sure. I know people have been saying it's the firmware, but maybe it's related to some files in the /dev/block folder? I don't know enough about how these phones work to know for sure.

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but at least its something! Maybe it's been suggested/tried before too, but I haven't seen it. Hopefully others will start looking through these files in /dev/block too, to speed up the process (if anyone else thinks the idea is worth a damn). I'm only one person and don't have a lot of time...

wordsforthewise

Jun 23, 2011
put www first

make sure to put 3 w's before the address, otherwise it doesn't go to the right thing...

I saw this post for how to unlock the samsung galaxy s 4g (sorry I can't just post a link, stupid forum rules won't let me since I'm a new user...:mad:):

theinfow.com/2011/03/how-to-unlock-samsung-galaxy-s-4g.html

maybe a similar thing could be done with droid 2 global :eek:. I checked quickly in the terminal and there is the same folder as in the galaxy:

/dev/block

which contains a load of files, but not the particular file they use for the galaxy. I'm betting the unlock code(s) for each phone is in one of those files just like with the galaxy s 4g!! I'm going to start looking through some to see if I can find something useful. This folder may also hold the key to unlocking GSM for use in USA, not sure. I know people have been saying it's the firmware, but maybe it's related to some files in the /dev/block folder? I don't know enough about how these phones work to know for sure.

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but at least its something! Maybe it's been suggested/tried before too, but I haven't seen it. Hopefully others will start looking through these files in /dev/block too, to speed up the process (if anyone else thinks the idea is worth a damn). I'm only one person and don't have a lot of time...

Last edited:

Gasai Yuno

May 11, 2011
Rausu
I hope you do realise that /dev/block/ contains block devices. That's it. Devices that perform I/O on a block basis as opposed to character-based I/O.

The fact that there is a “file” that controls the lock state on a single given phone doesn't matter much. After all, it's not a file at all. It's a block device, which means it can contain any data at all at any given time — it's not there to store data, it's there to access a hardware device.

longtune

Oct 27, 2010
I hope you do realise that /dev/block/ contains block devices. That's it. Devices that perform I/O on a block basis as opposed to character-based I/O.

The fact that there is a “file” that controls the lock state on a single given phone doesn't matter much. After all, it's not a file at all. It's a block device, which means it can contain any data at all at any given time — it's not there to store data, it's there to access a hardware device.
Bingo!!!
:)

thasan

Sep 5, 2006
Unlock code D2G

Hi @blade725, not clear from your post, did the codes from CellUnlocker.net unlock your phone? First part of your post says no and the second parts says one of two codes worked.

I am trying to find a reliable unlocker. I have been trying for about 4 months now and no luck.

Gasai Yuno

May 11, 2011
Rausu
There is no “reliable unlocker”.

The codes from almost any unlocking service will work with a phone that didn't have its unlock code altered OTA.

That's all.

kaos3rd

Apr 14, 2008
Would it be incorrect of me to ask that the individuals that have had theirs unlocked using verizon "secret code" If they could send me that code. I am outside of the US and unable to contact verizon.

rohit148in

Sep 17, 2011
Unlock Doriod 2 Global Help?

I'm from India. I have Motorola Droid 2 Global by Verizon IMEI: 353650048029495.

Any one help me to unlock it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Probably, it only works for those phone that haven't been blocked by VZ.

This method works for all D2G phones. I successfully unlock D2G phone that can't be unlocked by code from Verizon support.
    I actually got in touch with 2 different 3rd party code vendors and they both gave me the same 2 codes. I had also managed to get Verizon to give me the codes themselves without having the phone activated with them (it involves a little social hacking and a lot of luck). The thing is that Verizon gave me 3 unlock codes, 2 of which were the same that the vendors had given me.

Long story short, I couldn't unlock the phone even with the codes I got from Verizon (one of them was different from what the vendors had given me). I am not currently in the USA and apparently the phone needs to connect with the Verizon network to complete the unlock. I don't know if you really need to have the phone activated with Verizon at the time that you enter the unlock code or if you just need the phone to be able to reach the Verizon network.

I will be going to the USA next month and will be trying this out but it'll be around mid April before I'm able to post my results.
    Yeah, im guessing the code MAY or may NOT work IF you're in the US ( as it can reach verizons network). Otherwise it just seems like theres no way it would work. Mine would come up with a "network unlock unsuccessful" as soon as i entered the code, like seriously, right away.

Also, lol @ "social hacking"
    xD
    I actually got in touch with 2 different 3rd party code vendors and they both gave me the same 2 codes. I had also managed to get Verizon to give me the codes themselves without having the phone activated with them (it involves a little social hacking and a lot of luck). The thing is that Verizon gave me 3 unlock codes, 2 of which were the same that the vendors had given me.

Long story short, I couldn't unlock the phone even with the codes I got from Verizon (one of them was different from what the vendors had given me). I am not currently in the USA and apparently the phone needs to connect with the Verizon network to complete the unlock. I don't know if you really need to have the phone activated with Verizon at the time that you enter the unlock code or if you just need the phone to be able to reach the Verizon network.

I will be going to the USA next month and will be trying this out but it'll be around mid April before I'm able to post my results.

When I unlock mine, I was outside US, outside of VZW network reach. But I guess mine was one of the not specially locked ones. They say the first batch wasn't tampered with (I got mine in the week of release, as soon as it was available at retail VZW stores)
    Not really .. u can try eBay and record the process (make sure u show the imei and the unlock code CLEARLY) , and they will refund u if u weren't from the lucky ones who can get it unlocked without Verizon .. (i tried it)

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium