[ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [03/01: Audio fix]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
** Work-In-Progress: Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for primetime. **

Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Droid 3 and see for yourself.

Instructions:

1. Make a Titanium Backup and/or backup in recovery of your current Android (or just keep it on a different slot). This preview is fun to play with but not a replacement for something as developed as CM 10.1

2. Download the Droid 3 Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
[03/01] http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/solana/ubuntu-phablet/ (use the newest one)

3. Download the latest Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip from Ubuntu:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip

If the above link is broken, use this link for a full listing of the current build files (download the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip .. soon to be raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip):
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/

4. Reboot into Safestrap. Create a NEW 2GB ROM in the #4 slot.

IMPORTANT:
4a. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-2013xxxx.zip SECOND.

5. Reboot and Enjoy

FIRST BOOT TAKES A LONG TIME. AND THERE'S NO BOOT ANIMATION. BE PATIENT (MAYBE 3-4 MINUTES).

WHAT WORKS:

• Display
  • Touch screen
  • Wifi
  • Audio

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
  • Due to memory issues, the device gets VERY laggy after just a little while of use. This means the swap mem is full. I hope they work on the amount of memory used and how it's freed over time.
  • Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No HD codecs (still being worked on) Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No screen timeout / auto blank -- becareful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
(Some of these describe how to install it on devices -- you can ignore those instructions and follow the above)

Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch

Attachments

• lockscreen.jpg
    lockscreen.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 2,854
  • menubar.jpg
    menubar.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,158
  • home.jpg
    home.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,064
  • phone.jpg
    phone.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,806
Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [02/28: Alpha Update #1]

Neat. I had to battery pull to get it to boot, bootlooped until I did. It feels like unity, for my phone. It'll be interesting to see how it performs on our device when it's complete

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium

FrankieDedo

Dec 26, 2010
Lucca
Fine!, downloading and booting in moments! i was wondering about this in the forums, some days ago! Hash, you're the best! ;)

Glad to see an alternative for our devices...who knows...maybe this could lead to a fully functional rom...

EDIT: Sadly, it doesn't boot at all...same issues as latest CM10.1, but after a while of black lit screen, the phone turns off...trying later something else

Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Re: [ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [02/28: Alpha Update #1]

Fine!, downloading and booting in moments! i was wondering about this in the forums, some days ago! Hash, you're the best! ;)

Glad to see an alternative for our devices...who knows...maybe this could lead to a fully functional rom...

EDIT: Sadly, it doesn't boot at all...same issues as latest CM10.1, but after a while of black lit screen, the phone turns off...trying later something else

I had the same until I battery pulled

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium

djbolden

Aug 23, 2011
Looks pretty cool. I think I could get used to that interface pretty quickly. I did have a little trouble getting back into SafeStrap to boot into the stock ROM (or CM10.1 in slot1).

I used both the power button and battery pull to restart, I got the SafeStrap menu, chose boot to recovery, and in a few minutes I get the Ubuntu screen back. I finally got into SafeStrap by holding VolUp & VolDown while powering on and choosing BP Tools (bottom option).

Reactions: karadda

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
I'll have to go back through the flash process and test a few things. Sorry that it's messing w/ some of your devices.

deviousmrtaco

3/1/13 Build worked fine for me but I do have one of the older CPU's since all the kexec builds have worked for me, first boot time was only like 20 seconds and it still worked pretty quickly (but I only used it for about 10 minutes), seeing something different was refreshing and it took me about a minute to realize there was no lockscreen, most definitely a developer preview but it looks promising.Thanks Hashcode for the preview build and all the work you do, I'll keep testing them when they come out.

oh yeah the safestrap problem persisted for me as well had to hold the volume buttons to get back to Rom selection. No biggie

taksan

Feb 6, 2010
Hi

I tried phablet-20130301-cm_solana.zip and it worked better than I expected, I could even make calls.
The experience is quite nice and it seems Ubuntu Phone OS is very promising!

Thanks

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Hi

I tried phablet-20130301-cm_solana.zip and it worked better than I expected, I could even make calls.

Thanks

Are you on GSM?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Right now phone function is only implemented for GSM. The GSM RAZR has working voice calls. I didnt think D3 would work either :) but in theory it could.

(I occasionally activate a 3g SIM for testing, but didnt for the preview.)

djbolden

Aug 23, 2011
Hi

Thanks

I tried dialing one call to one of our office lines while I was booted into Ubuntu . It dialed and rang ok but I couldn't hear the receptionist when she answered and she couldn't hear me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

taksan

Feb 6, 2010
Yes, I'm on GSM. I didn't expect it to work either, but I just thought I'd try.

The problem is that it usually doesn't boot and keeps "boot looping". The first time I pulled the battery and it worked, but now it is not working anymore.
I'm trying a reinstallation.

Even though it is quite crude, it worked better than CM10 (the droid 3 version), because the CM10 phone service crashed on start and I couldn't make
calls and neither connect to WiFi

Last edited:

taksan

Feb 6, 2010
I got it working once again, but after a while it froze. I tried rebooting the phone and it isn't booting anymore.

FrankieDedo

Dec 26, 2010
Lucca
Ok, booted and tried, it works really well for an early alpha, who knows...this could be the base for a fully functional rom? :) i'm a dreamer...

Anyway i'm on GSM and calls are lagging of 1-2 rings, and voice seems to be broken, anyway, good work! as usual ;)

calash

Jan 30, 2008
Very nice! Works great for being so new. Could not do much as it would not connect to my work WiFi but expected with such an early build. Looking forward to future updates.

Being based on the CM kernel is it safe to assume we will not see any camera function for this unless it first gets worked out in the CM 10 builds?

stretchnz

Apr 14, 2012
thanks yet again Hash !

Installed as per the first post.
First boot - no longer than one min I reckon.
Wifi works, got on to FB with browser and even posted :)

Today showing work mate, dialled his number (without any hint of cell network / settings) and to my amazement not only did it dial, upon answering we could hear each other fine, maybe a tad lagged half a second or so but honestly worked fine!!

May have imagined things but it also appeared to get faster again after 5-10mins of being powered on, reboots no issue.

Just no idea how to power off correctly lol, seems like holding power button puts it in sleep (saw today image very dark but certainly there), then could not wake (happened yesterday also the can not wake part), so I just battery pull, again reboots no issue :)

Cheers

leerpsp

May 13, 2011
not saying
Ok man im trying to install this on my droid 3 to see how it works and then i was going to try and port ubuntu to the k1 tablet but on part 3 when installing it it will get almost done and by then my phone is very hot as well and any way it will get almost done installing and the phone will go black and i will have to pull the battery to even get the phone to do any thing so im asking what am i not doing right? I will like to get this booted on the droid 3 to get a fill of how this works befor i port to the k1 tablet.

Sent from my K1 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Ok man im trying to install this on my droid 3 to see how it works and then i was going to try and port ubuntu to the k1 tablet but on part 3 when installing it it will get almost done and by then my phone is very hot as well and any way it will get almost done installing and the phone will go black and i will have to pull the battery to even get the phone to do any thing so im asking what am i not doing right? I will like to get this booted on the droid 3 to get a fill of how this works befor i port to the k1 tablet.

I got it installed i had to install in slot 2 not 4 to get it all the way installed i dont know y this matters but o will any way i tested it in the other slots and it will not work in them ony 2

Munckster

Feb 6, 2011
Katowice
Just got it from Ubuntu:

Known Issues

Power Consumption

Currently the devices can not be shutdown from within the UI or by pressing the power button. Even if you use the power button long press your battery will be drained.

To shutdown a device completely there are two options:

Remove the battery and replace it. (Not an option if battery is not removable)
Stop it from the adb shell by executing the following commands:
adb root
adb shell reboot -p
Memory Usage

Memory usage has not yet been optimized for the devices. It is possible to experience application crashes due to having too many applications open at the same time. A workaround is to close apps that are not being used.

Timezone

The timezone needs to be manually set from the command line. Valid values for timezones can be found in the /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab file. Run the following commands ( specifying your own time zone choice ) with root permission to set your timezone:

Access your device through SSH

Then on the terminal connected to your device run:
echo "America/New_York" | sudo tee -a /etc/timezone
sudo dpkg-reconfigure --frontend noninteractive tzdata
Networking

The Developer Preview has support for Wi-Fi networking via the new network indicator, which supports basic Wi-Fi connections (Open, WEP and WPA Personal). It is possible to configure more advanced settings, however at this time this requires working directly with Network Manager system connection files.

The following network features are not yet included in the Developer Preview:

Airplane Mode/Wi-Fi Power Control
Advanced Settings (e.g. Hidden SSIDs, Manual IP, VPN…)
Bluetooth
Hot Spot/Tethering
Telephony

The Developer Preview currently only supports limited voice and SMS over GSM.

The following Radio technologies are not yet included in the Developer Preview:

CDMA
LTE
Airplane Mode
Settings ( eg. APN choice, 2G only, … )
Mobile data is not supported, data is available via Wi-Fi only.

These Call features are not yet supported:

Emergency Call Support ( ie. ability to dial emergency numbers without a valid SIM card ).
PIN/PUK support for locked SIMs
No SIM filesystem support
Speakerphone
These SMS features are not yet implemented:

MMS
Send error handling
Delivery Reports

leerpsp

May 13, 2011
not saying

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

I got it installed i had to install in slot 2 not 4 to get it all the way installed i dont know y this matters but o will any way i tested it in the other slots and it will not work in them ony 2

Got it working it tuck 20 m of living the phone on lmao

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** Work-In-Progress: Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for primetime. **

Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Droid 3 and see for yourself.

Instructions:

1. Make a Titanium Backup and/or backup in recovery of your current Android (or just keep it on a different slot). This preview is fun to play with but not a replacement for something as developed as CM 10.1

2. Download the Droid 3 Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
    [03/01] http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/solana/ubuntu-phablet/ (use the newest one)

3. Download the latest Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip from Ubuntu:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip

If the above link is broken, use this link for a full listing of the current build files (download the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip .. soon to be raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip):
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/

4. Reboot into Safestrap. Create a NEW 2GB ROM in the #4 slot.

IMPORTANT:
    4a. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-2013xxxx.zip SECOND.

5. Reboot and Enjoy

FIRST BOOT TAKES A LONG TIME. AND THERE'S NO BOOT ANIMATION. BE PATIENT (MAYBE 3-4 MINUTES).

WHAT WORKS:

• Display
    • Touch screen
    • Wifi
    • Audio

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
    • Due to memory issues, the device gets VERY laggy after just a little while of use. This means the swap mem is full. I hope they work on the amount of memory used and how it's freed over time.
    • Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
    • No HD codecs (still being worked on) Ubuntu WIP issue.
    • No screen timeout / auto blank -- becareful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
    (Some of these describe how to install it on devices -- you can ignore those instructions and follow the above)

Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
    Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
    IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch
    Right now phone function is only implemented for GSM. The GSM RAZR has working voice calls. I didnt think D3 would work either :) but in theory it could.

(I occasionally activate a 3g SIM for testing, but didnt for the preview.)

Looks pretty cool. I think I could get used to that interface pretty quickly. I did have a little trouble getting back into SafeStrap to boot into the stock ROM (or CM10.1 in slot1).

I used both the power button and battery pull to restart, I got the SafeStrap menu, chose boot to recovery, and in a few minutes I get the Ubuntu screen back. I finally got into SafeStrap by holding VolUp & VolDown while powering on and choosing BP Tools (bottom option).