[Q] Is it possible to install a stock ROM if 4.3 and a locked bootloader is in place

Search This thread

horga_83

Jun 27, 2012
Mill Bay, BC
Is it possible to install a stock ROM once 4.3 and a locked bootloader is in place. I've looked all over and I seem to read conflicting stories. So...

I have a Samsung S3 Telus (AT&T) version running the latest 4.3 as of May1st, my bootloader is locked and I have a tripped flash counter.

If someone actually posts a I747MVLUEND2 rooted image can I flash it?
Can I flash an older version I747MVLUEM series?

Oh yeah my phone is NOT rooted.

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
With a 4.3 bootloader, you will need to install a custom recovery to flash ROMs. If you want to restore a stock 4.3 ROM, try this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2658486

With a 4.3 bootloader, you cannot use Odin to flash a stock ROM unless that ROM was specifically compiled for flashing via Odin.

horga_83

Jun 27, 2012
Mill Bay, BC
No this is not possible. I have a LOCKED boot loader. I can't flash a custom recovery as far as I know.

Also how would one know a ROM is made to be flashed by Odin even if it was possible? Maybe I missed something here.

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I re-read your original post and I'm a bit confused. You have a Telus s3 (i747m) or AT&T s3 (i747)?

I have never heard of an s3 having a locked bootloader. All of the phones with a stock 4.3 ROM have a bootloader that cannot be downgraded.

horga_83

Jun 27, 2012
Mill Bay, BC
I re-read your original post and I'm a bit confused. You have a Telus s3 (i747m) or AT&T s3 (i747)?

I have never heard of an s3 having a locked bootloader. All of the phones with a stock 4.3 ROM have a bootloader that cannot be downgraded.

Sorry, I have a Telus I747M.

It seems all AT&T and Telus S3's have a locked boot loader after the upgrade to 4.3. This means you cannot flash CWM recovery to the phone anymore.

So, I beleive I can't fix it to put CWM recovery on but I may be able to flash a stock rom, I'm just not sure at this point what I can do. Based on your response it is not surprising I'm confused, there seems to be a LOT of conflicting information.

There are some stock ROMS that have already been rooted and I'm hoping I can flash one of those without bricking my phone.

pcshano

Dec 29, 2012

It seems all AT&T and Telus S3's have a locked boot loader after the upgrade to 4.3. This means you cannot flash CWM recovery to the phone anymore.

So, I beleive I can't fix it to put CWM recovery on but I may be able to flash a stock rom, I'm just not sure at this point what I can do. Based on your response it is not surprising I'm confused, there seems to be a LOT of conflicting information.

There are some stock ROMS that have already been rooted and I'm hoping I can flash one of those without bricking my phone.

sir, the one who got the wrong idea is you
the only S3 with locked bootloader is the verizon version
i747/M doesn't regardless of which version

which occurs to me that you might have done something wrong trying to root your device

though i've never tried this tool to root but many people succeeded rooting their phone with this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963790
so try it out

but again, you said to flash a stock rom... you can do it via Kies(is that how it is called? it had been so long since i last used it) or you can just use ODIN to flash it

Last edited:

pc103

Jul 7, 2007
Regardless of the subject of that thread, the posts I indicated directly speak to your 747m downgrade question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Can understand why some may be confused about the question. If you have stock 4.3 already (which is the latest version available), why would you want to flash another stock ROM? If you are talking about flashing an older stock ROM, yes it is possible, and there have been several posts on how you can successfully downgrade the system only without altering the bootloader. Attempting to downgrade the bootloader will, of course, cause a brick so downgrading ROM only is a rather complicated process that should be attempted only if there is a very worthwhile reason for this. So far, there are very few arguments, if any, for downgrading from 4.3 to any older stock ROM version. If you are trying to flash a rooted version of the same stock, you need to be sure it's one with the same bootloader. You may, however, find it easier simply keeping the current system and rooting via Safe Root. You can, however, flash a custom ROM if it won't attempt to mess with your bootloader . As far as recovery goes, even if you have stock 4.3, you can still flash custom recovery via Odin or other prescribed installation route. I'm not aware of 4.3 preventing the flashing of a custom recovery. I have an AT&T i747 with stock 4.3 and I've flashed custom recovery several times.

Last edited:

horga_83

Jun 27, 2012
Mill Bay, BC
sir, the one who got the wrong idea is you
the only S3 with locked bootloader is the verizon version
i747/M doesn't regardless of which version

which occurs to me that you might have done something wrong trying to root your device

though i've never tried this tool to root but many people succeeded rooting their phone with this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1963790
so try it out

but again, you said to flash a stock rom... you can do it via Kies(is that how it is called? it had been so long since i last used it) or you can just use ODIN to flash it

So when my bootloader says Qualcomm secure boot = 1, that means what exactly?

I haven't tried to root my phone yet.

Well actually it's a stock ROM that has been rooted. As per this page:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426&__utma=248941774.1179961654.1399404439.1400082744.1400099749.11&__utmb=248941774.1.10.1400099749&__utmc=248941774&__utmx=-&__utmz=248941774.1400099749.11.3.utmcsr=xdaforums.com|utmccn=%28referral%29|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/galaxy-s3-att/&__utmv=-&__utmk=261245838

Last edited:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto

I think that means secure booting has been enabled. Secure booting has nothing to do with having a locked bootloader. From what I have read in other forums, a locked bootload would not allow you to load a custom kernel.