Wireless charging heat the devices to 45.C

Search This thread

android addicts

Jan 8, 2012
I purchased a Qi standard wireless charger with a Galaxy S5 compatible charging pad from the ebay. After I place my Galaxy s5 to the charging unit, I can see there's a higher temperature in my device (not only the battery, entire device including screen). I used TempMonitor Lite app to monitor the temperature of my device,

These are the result.
  • Before the charging 36 C.
  • After an 15 minutes it increases to 41 C.
  • After another 15 minutes (after 30 minutes) it increases to 45 C.

So this will not burn my Galaxy S5 and its battery? It will not cause any hardware issues? Or is it a normal situation?

This much of higher heat generates the charging unit or small charging receiver pad which I connected near the battery? If I purchase a wireless charging back cover, this will fix the issue?

Last edited:

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
That is normal behaviour. Wireless charging is not 100% efficient and the coupling losses are radiated as heat. Optimal charging occurs when the antennas are parallel to each other, so you will get less heat if the phone is optimally oriented. And some brands are more efficient than others.

But it sounds like your figures are normal. Heat is detrimental to Li-Ion battery life. But this isn't an unusual or particularly excessive amount of heat.. so unless you want to charge your phone inside your refrigerator, there isn't much to do other than orient your phone squarely on the charger.

Also FYI, your temp app does not measure your phone's temperature per se. It measures the processor temperature. The S5 does not have an ambient temperature sensor.

Reactions: android addicts

android addicts

Jan 8, 2012
That is normal behaviour. Wireless charging is not 100% efficient and the coupling losses are radiated as heat. Optimal charging occurs when the antennas are parallel to each other, so you will get less heat if the phone is optimally oriented. And some brands are more efficient than others.

But it sounds like your figures are normal. Heat is detrimental to Li-Ion battery life. But this isn't an unusual or particularly excessive amount of heat.. so unless you want to charge your phone inside your refrigerator, there isn't much to do other than orient your phone squarely on the charger.

Also FYI, your temp app does not measure your phone's temperature per se. It measures the processor temperature. The S5 does not have an ambient temperature sensor.

Thank you fffft.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.