A Little Appreciation and why not to Upgrade

Search This thread

GodSlayer

Jun 23, 2011
I bought the Note 10.1 a couple of months after it's launch in the US, and I have been using it in school to take notes on lectures ever since.
My friend bought the 2014 edition a few months back and I noticed that it just falls short. Yes, it's good, but it's no where near as good as ours is.

First and foremost - the battery is stronger. He squeezes out a day of usage while I can go to school 3 days in a row without getting near a charger.
The note 10.1 surprisingly does not lag. I think that it's one of the only samsung devices out there that don't lag with Touchwiz. The 2014 edition lags even when you pull down the notification shade.
Even the 2014 main advantage - it's display - is not worth it. The quality on the original note is so damn good that resolutions don't matter. I gave a few people the chance to compare them. The majority pointed on my tablet, claiming it had the better screen. The sheer quality of the display definitely makes up for the not-so-high resolution.

These are just some few basic things. If you go in deeper you'll surely find other little causes to favour the one over the other. But looking on the big things - battery, UI and general feel and even the display of the Note 10.1 are superior to the new 2014 Edition. If you have a 2012 edition and are considering whether to upgrade or not - save your cash. The 2012 is simply the better one.

MoNsTeRmUk

Jan 24, 2012
Even Though That 2014 Edition might be thinner and smaller in size and looking better
but old one can do everything very well
i don't even Consider buying the new one because it will just be waste of money
i love my note and i think it's more than enough for me ^_^

quails

Oct 27, 2010
Just bought the 2012, refurb from a major UK seller with 12 months warranty, half the price of cheapest 2014 I could find - well happy.

the_game_master

Dec 14, 2011
Indianapolis
The only feat the 2014 edition Galaxy Note 10.1 has over the original Note 10.1 is the higher resolution.

2560 x 1600 on a 10.1" screen is beyond overkill.

about as much as the 1920x1200 resolution of my Nexus 7. I wish the Nexus 7 had capacitive buttons and not on screen dock buttons taking up the screen.

Reactions: pre4speed

vns_firefly

Jan 6, 2014
The Note 10.1 (N8000) is originally planned to run fluently with 1GB of RAM only (similar to Note 1 N7000), but its RAM is doubled (2x) at the last minute, making every specs twice the Note 1 with the same resolution, so it is more than enough even now. :good:
On the other hand, the Note 10.1 2014 only has its RAM boosted to 3GB (1.5x), its octa-core still operates in each group of four instead of true octa-core so they're not that much better, but the screen resolution becomes four times the N8000's, so it's somewhat insufficient. In fact, it is possible that the lag often occured when the tablet switches from the 'power-saving' group of CPUs (1.2Ghz x 4) to the 'performance' one (1.9Ghz x 4), so the Qualcomm version might be better.
About the screen: the 2014 one has higher resolution, which means in order to look nice everything displayed on it should at least match the huge resolution. :D The N8000 on the other hand still has HD resolution, which is quite good (considering HD was once a hype in TVs), and everything bigger than HD is guaranteed to look nice on it. :D

Last edited:

enigma_x

Jan 1, 2013
Yes n8000 is quite good all the way. Im not either going to replace this by 2014 or Pros. A minor (for me, huge) issue is the lack of a newer OS, but if you dont use smart-accessories, share SNote, you will be fine. Im using Sonys sw2 and unfortunately there is growing numbers of apps that require the API level of the newer OS than it is in A4.1.2 :/

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 (N8000).

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
One big thing that the note has going for it is support. I am not even sure if Samsung remembers this device.

I hate the home button on a tablet on a phone it's nice so it doesn't eat up space on a tablet with ample space navigation bars are a blessing. No matter how you hold the tablet you have access to the Navy bar unfortunately with a physical home button now you have to flip it around if you hold it a certain way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

radtech777

Feb 12, 2010
St. Louis
I bought my n8013 last month after reading lots of reviews. Unfortunately, I did not look at XDA. It never even dawned on me that a tablet as awesome as this one would not even be brought up to the level of OS that my dual-core S3 was at. Still can't believe it. Having said that, this thing flies on Hyperdrive, has no lag at all with Nova launcher. But this machine really deserves at least one more major update. If the S5 is not the absolute best phone on the market when it is released, I think I will be done with Samsung's stuff for a while. I'll use and love this tablet till it falls apart tho.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using xda app-developers app

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I bought the Note 10.1 a couple of months after it's launch in the US.

I was one of the first on XDA to get a N10.1-12 in August, 2012, when it was launched. It replaced a year-old G-Tab 10.1 (which had the same screen resolution BTW). I've had a N10.1-14 since October. So I have lots of Samsung tablet experience. To say that the display on the '12 is "superior" to the '14 is ridiculous. The display on the N10.1-12 was painful from day one and Samsung was ridiculed for releasing such a high-end device without a 1,900x1,200 display which Asus and Acer were already offering. When I had a N2 going between it and the N10.1-12 was livable. The N10.1-12 was pretty much history after I got a N3 because of the pronounced difference in their displays.

The difference in form factor, design, and materials between the two is another big selling point for the N10.1-14. The N10.1-12 looked just like every other Samsung tablet and not like the flagship it was. And not a single reviewer had anything positive to say about the glossy plastic back and obviously plastic metallized bezel. The only benefit of the old design was front facing speakers but the N10.1-14's are certainly loud enough and most agree that the reduction in size by moving them to the sides was a worthy trade-off.

As for s/w changes the N10.1-14 adapts the same Multi View methods used in the N3. It's kind of jarring coming from the N10.1-12 but after using it for a while the changes Samsung made start to make sense. Using Air View to open apps with Pen Window is fantastic. You can have a browser present and minimized as an icon constantly available no matter where you are in the UI and no matter what you're doing. Leaks have already appeared of 4.4 with Magazine UX for the N10.1-14. In it, the number of Pen Window apps have tripled and the ability to "cascade" multiple apps is being introduced (it was a feature from the N10.1-12 that was missing). There's nothing from the N10.1-12 that I miss s/w wise.

The N10.1-12 is a great device and for people buying it today for $200'ish it's a great value based on the function it provides. Nothing's going to make a 147 PPI display acceptable when even today's low-end 7" tablets have it beat. And that low PPI display is the only reason the performance of the N10.1-12 is still adequate. The Exynos chip and Mali 400 GPU it uses are the same as what's in the SGS3 which debuted in March, 2012; almost two years ago.

And for those with short memories the N10.1-12 shipped with 4.0.4 and wasn't upgraded to 4.1 and the "Premium Suite" until January, 2013. There were tons of issues with the N10.1-12's launch s/w and plenty of lag; especially when multiple apps were open. So the N10.1-14 does have some occasional transition lag but is due to receive a major update this month; less time than the five months it took Samsung to update the N10.1-12 so it performed to its full potential.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm not trying to change it. But as someone whose owned both devices I wouldn't want someone to buy the N10.1-12 today without some counter point to consider because you and I have greatly differing opinions.

ilostmypistons

Jan 25, 2011
McHenry Il

vns_firefly

Jan 6, 2014
I was one of the first on XDA to get a N10.1-12 in August, 2012, when it was launched. It replaced a year-old G-Tab 10.1 (which had the same screen resolution BTW). I've had a N10.1-14 since October. So I have lots of Samsung tablet experience. To say that the display on the '12 is "superior" to the '14 is ridiculous. The display on the N10.1-12 was painful from day one and Samsung was ridiculed for releasing such a high-end device without a 1,900x1,200 display which Asus and Acer were already offering. When I had a N2 going between it and the N10.1-12 was livable. The N10.1-12 was pretty much history after I got a N3 because of the pronounced difference in their displays.

The difference in form factor, design, and materials between the two is another big selling point for the N10.1-14. The N10.1-12 looked just like every other Samsung tablet and not like the flagship it was. And not a single reviewer had anything positive to say about the glossy plastic back and obviously plastic metallized bezel. The only benefit of the old design was front facing speakers but the N10.1-14's are certainly loud enough and most agree that the reduction in size by moving them to the sides was a worthy trade-off.

As for s/w changes the N10.1-14 adapts the same Multi View methods used in the N3. It's kind of jarring coming from the N10.1-12 but after using it for a while the changes Samsung made start to make sense. Using Air View to open apps with Pen Window is fantastic. You can have a browser present and minimized as an icon constantly available no matter where you are in the UI and no matter what you're doing. Leaks have already appeared of 4.4 with Magazine UX for the N10.1-14. In it, the number of Pen Window apps have tripled and the ability to "cascade" multiple apps is being introduced (it was a feature from the N10.1-12 that was missing). There's nothing from the N10.1-12 that I miss s/w wise.

The N10.1-12 is a great device and for people buying it today for $200'ish it's a great value based on the function it provides. Nothing's going to make a 147 PPI display acceptable when even today's low-end 7" tablets have it beat. And that low PPI display is the only reason the performance of the N10.1-12 is still adequate. The Exynos chip and Mali 400 GPU it uses are the same as what's in the SGS3 which debuted in March, 2012; almost two years ago.

And for those with short memories the N10.1-12 shipped with 4.0.4 and wasn't upgraded to 4.1 and the "Premium Suite" until January, 2013. There were tons of issues with the N10.1-12's launch s/w and plenty of lag; especially when multiple apps were open. So the N10.1-14 does have some occasional transition lag but is due to receive a major update this month; less time than the five months it took Samsung to update the N10.1-12 so it performed to its full potential.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm not trying to change it. But as someone whose owned both devices I wouldn't want someone to buy the N10.1-12 today without some counter point to consider because you and I have greatly differing opinions.

You and I are quite the opposite. I bought my N8000 four months ago, and despite being able to get the 2014 version, I decided not to. I will tell you why.

1/ Yes, the 10.1 2014 is more powerful, but it does not make the N8000 any less so. I moved to my N8000 from the sk17i SE Mini Pro, and the sk17i is the same powerful device as the original Galaxy S, specs-wise: 1Ghz single-core and 512MB of RAM. With the power of the -once- most powerful mobile device, it still had things that couldn't be done, why? Because the Galaxy S was the very best they could give you at its time. The best of that time was simply not sufficient, that was why people longed for more (Btw, the sk17i still completed most of the tasks I expected). When I moved to the N8000, which has four times the sk17i's specs, the tasks I gave to my device mostly remained the same: word processing (not as nicely as the sk17i with its hardware keyboard, though), web browsing and email, plus being my personal drawing canvas, and all of those have always been completed without lag. What I mean is, there was a time when even the best they could offer was not adequate, but now there exists a line in specifications that, when you cross it, it does not make any difference no matter how far you cross it. No matter how many years it has been, either. OEMs always compete; specs have outgrown the actual needs for it, CPUs and RAM outgrown what an average PC once has, and screen resolution/dpi gone beyond what the eye can see. All for the privilege to brag that "My device is better than your device", and do so for, like, a month? Now, tell me what you can't do without the 2014 version's specs, some kind of multi-gigs 3D games that you play for a few minutes each day? No problem, I will live without it.

2/ The 10.1 2014 portrays what I personally call 'Google's major design flaw' and what Samsung has to come up with to improvise: the hardware navigation buttons. I have written this multiple times, but again, since Android 4.2+, the tablet UI no longer exists (though developers still manage to pull it out from the depth of codes till its complete removal in 4.4). Since the Tab 3 generation (including the cute Note 8.0) it has been determined that Samsung tablets will operate with Android 4.2+ as the final update, so all these devices are equipped with hardware navigation buttons as preparation. As for the N8000, can you download the harware buttons from the Internet? Of course not. So if a 4.2+ update for the N8000 ever existed, it would stand out from the rest of Samsung tablets and have to be specially made. Maybe the guys at Samsung was preparing the 4.2 update when 4.3 came out. Maybe when they decided to skip 4.2 and moved to developing the 4.3 update, when suddenly 4.4 came out. Maybe they then decided to once again skip the underdeveloped 4.3 update for 4.4, or decided it was not worth the effort and abandoned ship, whatever took them that long to deliver absolutely nothing. But I can tell you, a flagship device like the N8000 having no update till now is not entirely Samsung's fault, much less the N8000's. Blame Google for releasing Android versions so quickly with little changes, user-wise (Okay, having no Tablet UI is a big change here). Whether or not there is an update remains a test of faith, or even an inside joke, remember Half-Life 3?

With those aside, I agree with you that the 2014 version feels much more premium; it was such a pleasure holding it in my hand. The size, weight and material is admirable, especially from Samsung.

Barsky

Aug 23, 2010
MintMobile
The size of the new unit rocks. And there is about where it ends. I have a TabPro 10.1 here I may return, especially since we will be getting kitkat. While the smaller size and weight is really nice, I have 2 major problems with it....
1) Stupid Physical Home Buttons. Hate it on their phones, hate it on their tabs. Especially annoying on tabs in portrait mode.
2) Our original note 10.1 has far superior multi-windowing, imo. I didn't much care for it on the Note 10.1 2014 (android 4.3) and they've changed it again in 4.4.2 on the *Pro tabs. My concern is that the kitkat update to ours is going to change it to the new method.

TabPro 10.1 returned. Just not convinced the "upgrade" actually is an upgrade to this tablet. In waiting mode :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought the Note 10.1 a couple of months after it's launch in the US, and I have been using it in school to take notes on lectures ever since.
    My friend bought the 2014 edition a few months back and I noticed that it just falls short. Yes, it's good, but it's no where near as good as ours is.

First and foremost - the battery is stronger. He squeezes out a day of usage while I can go to school 3 days in a row without getting near a charger.
    The note 10.1 surprisingly does not lag. I think that it's one of the only samsung devices out there that don't lag with Touchwiz. The 2014 edition lags even when you pull down the notification shade.
    Even the 2014 main advantage - it's display - is not worth it. The quality on the original note is so damn good that resolutions don't matter. I gave a few people the chance to compare them. The majority pointed on my tablet, claiming it had the better screen. The sheer quality of the display definitely makes up for the not-so-high resolution.

These are just some few basic things. If you go in deeper you'll surely find other little causes to favour the one over the other. But looking on the big things - battery, UI and general feel and even the display of the Note 10.1 are superior to the new 2014 Edition. If you have a 2012 edition and are considering whether to upgrade or not - save your cash. The 2012 is simply the better one.
    The only feat the 2014 edition Galaxy Note 10.1 has over the original Note 10.1 is the higher resolution.

2560 x 1600 on a 10.1" screen is beyond overkill.

about as much as the 1920x1200 resolution of my Nexus 7. I wish the Nexus 7 had capacitive buttons and not on screen dock buttons taking up the screen.