<31/01/11> -/- Latest Rootfs + Corrected key mapping for Blackstone

Search This thread

Eodun

Sep 30, 2009
Barcelona
I'm trying to find the correct function assignment to "recent apps" to modify the proper file, so it could be changed at wish with a --bind statement, but no luck. Any ideas?

Lothaen

Jun 4, 2010
plus.google.com
Ah I see-.

I was thinking wouldn't it be nicer to have HOME as the home key? and then maybe the end key as menu (and power as power, back as back obviously)... just made more sense to me - and anyone looking at the handset would think that the home button was home not menu?

g3rm0

Feb 20, 2010
I've made some adjustments to the latest rootfs and now it has HOME button instead of ENDCALL. Recent Apps menu also works as expected. It was tested on the new Gingerbread system, but should work for FRX05 as well.
Of course you won't be able to end calls with ENDCALL button but there's workaround for that (haven't tested yet):
Open: HOME > MENU > SETTINGS > ACCESSIBILITY and mark the "Power button ends call" checkbox. Now it should be possible to end calls with Power Button.
BTW. It would be nice to see some feedback ;)

Attachments

• rootfs.zip
    5 MB · Views: 771
Last edited:

hrk7474

Feb 2, 2011
I've made some adjustments to the latest rootfs and now it has HOME button instead of ENDCALL. Recent Apps menu also works as expected. It was tested on the new Gingerbread system, but should work for FRX05 as well.
Of course you won't be able to end calls with ENDCALL button but there's workaround for that (haven't tested yet):
Open: HOME > MENU > SETTINGS > ACCESSIBILITY and mark the "Power button ends call" checkbox. Now it should be possible to end calls with Power Button.

Thanks so much!
I tried to make a rootfs myself, taking the keymap folder items from this thread's one and putting it in the rootfs of the GBX0A one, sure enough it booted, but as soon as i pressed the power button it would just turn the screen off and on a few times before staying black (with backlight, so not dead, but annoying :) )

I will test this out right away. I'm doing a full re-install at the moment.
I've seen the Accesibility feature before, but when i tried to find it in FRX05 the other day i couldn't find the Power button checkbox.
Installing GBX0A now.

g3rm0

Feb 20, 2010
[CUT]
BTW, i read over at ppcgeeks about a RHOD-rootfs for GBX0A that supposedly fixed screen rotation.
I don't have any screen rotation issues other than the gallery one (it doesn't work in landscape). From what I understand this rootfs is based on the same one as mine so it shouldn't be different. We'll except for the keymap but that's because Blackstone doesn't have enough keys for Android (and we need to sacrifice End Call functionality) ;-)

PS. I was thinking about changing the Home Button to actually go to HOME and the End Call to act as MENU because that would be far less confusing for new users. But in reality the best solution is the one accepted by the majority - so maybe I should create a little poll about this?

hrk7474

Feb 2, 2011
I don't have any screen rotation issues
PS. I was thinking about changing the Home Button to actually go to HOME and the End Call to act as MENU because that would be far less confusing for new users. But in reality the best solution is the one accepted by the majority - so maybe I should create a little poll about this?

Yeah, now i remember. Screen rotation didn't work in the first GBX release.
IMHO the button layout is as good as it could get right now.

[edit]
Been giving this some thought. It might be nice to set it up with home to go home, long press for recent apps, and combine menu and power options on the end key. I found the power button doesn't end my calls but it does turn the screen back on so we kinda need to keep it that way, I think...
Anywhere you could point me so I could have a go at this myself?

Last edited:

g3rm0

Feb 20, 2010
Yeah, now i remember. Screen rotation didn't work in the first GBX release.
IMHO the button layout is as good as it could get right now.

[edit]
Been giving this some thought. It might be nice to set it up with home to go home, long press for recent apps, and combine menu and power options on the end key. I found the power button doesn't end my calls but it does turn the screen back on so we kinda need to keep it that way, I think...
Anywhere you could point me so I could have a go at this myself?

I don't know if I understand this correctly but you can't change button behavior. Long press home brings recent apps, power brings power options, and menu is just menu. That's the way Android does it and it can't be modified.
Oh and Blackstone keymap is inside rootfs under /init.etc/keymaps/oldqwerty_raph_navi_pad.kl ;)

hrk7474

Feb 2, 2011
I don't know if I understand this correctly but you can't change button behavior. Long press home brings recent apps, power brings power options, and menu is just menu. That's the way Android does it and it can't be modified.
Oh and Blackstone keymap is inside rootfs under /init.etc/keymaps/oldqwerty_raph_navi_pad.kl ;)
Oh, I see. Too bad. BUT we do have a really nice setup now already, credit where credit's due ;)
I'll keep this in mind and try messing with one again sometimes.
there's a new kernel out too btw

Sent from my MSM using XDA App

g3rm0

Feb 20, 2010
Oh, I see. Too bad. BUT we do have a really nice setup now already, credit where credit's due ;)
I'll keep this in mind and try messing with one again sometimes.
there's a new kernel out too btw

I think the new kernel has Rhod only commits, so no reason for us to upgrade.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

I have attached the latest rootfs.img from Xdandroid with corrected key layout for the blackstone as you may have noticed that by default we have two power buttons and have lost the multitasking keymap. Please find below the latest rootfs <rootfs-20110123-5cafe3f> with modified keymapping to regain the multitasking keymap and also the home button.

Yes I am aware you can adjust the end button behaviour in spare parts but you still won't have the multitasking keymap.

Update: Fixed init.eclair.rc and init.eclairhero.rc for updated android binary in latest XDAndroid rootfs.img, eclair now boot's as it should.

Best Regards,

ST1Cl<^^aN
    At the moment my focus was to return the multitasking functionality, I will be further modifying the keymapping to suite our needs and to be more blackstone specific.

Best Regards,

ST1Cl<^^aN
    Hello,
    This key assignment is perfect I think ! Thank you stickman89 :)

some precisions about it:
    - Call button: call or voice command (hold)
    - Home button: Options & show keyboard (hold)
    - Previous button: previous screen
    - End button: sleep & end call (if on call) & shutdown options (hold)
    sleep is an option under Spare parts => End button behavior => Go to sleep
    - Power button: home & recent apps (hold 1 second)
    In launcherPro preferences I configured to open/close notifications, when already on home => it's convenient to show notifications by pressing twice on power button)