(Q) phone stuck in bootloop after flashing. Download and recovery mode working.

Search This thread

AndroidReborn

Jun 23, 2012
Please quote my post and copy&paste whole text into some help thread for your phone, it is better idea as we are now getting off topic here. I'll try to help you there.

Format /system is done in recovery mode under "mount and storage" then after that you can restore your nandroid if it is done with the same recovery you use now. If you're on PhilZ 6, it usually can restore also CWM 6 backups.

What does format system do? And please help me load sentinel rom. That's the one I was gonna do.

Okay now for the question... I was running stock 4.1.2 with siyah kernel 6.0 b5. Then I decided to install philz kernel, but ended up in bootloop. Then I tried flashing dorimanx but still in bootloop. All the while I wiped everything before flashing.
Now im stuck as I can boot into recovery via any kernel but ultimately phone is stuck.
What to do?
And can anyone give me steps to install sentinel rom from this stage?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
What does format system do? And please help me load sentinel rom. That's the one I was gonna do.

Okay now for the question... I was running stock 4.1.2 with siyah kernel 6.0 b5. Then I decided to install philz kernel, but ended up in bootloop. Then I tried flashing dorimanx but still in bootloop. All the while I wiped everything before flashing.
Now im stuck as I can boot into recovery via any kernel but ultimately phone is stuck.
What to do?
And can anyone give me steps to install sentinel rom from this stage?

Mate, sorry for waiting, I was out of home. We will get your ROM back as soon as the phone boots again.
Don't worry, it doesn't sound serious so far. We have recovery and download mode (so topic name "nothing works" isn't really correct)

Formatting /system wipes all data from the system partition (so your system will be gone then) and it is important to do before installing new ROMs (essencially important for KitKat). It can't do any harm. As you have tried to install other kernels and didn't work we should check first what did you try to flash so far and it didn't boot? Is that what you wrote all what you have tried?

Now let me know please which recovery do you have now and is it the same version like when you have created your nandroid backup? If the recovery is the same, I would indeed try to restore nandroid backup right after wiping /system. Before you wipe the system just let me know: can you use ADB? If yes, check do you have ADB connection in the recovery mode?

Last edited:

AndroidReborn

Jun 23, 2012
Mate, sorry for waiting, I was out of home. We will get your ROM back as soon as the phone boots again.
Don't worry, it doesn't sound serious so far. We have recovery and download mode (so topic name "nothing works" isn't really correct)

Formatting /system wipes all data from the system partition (so your system will be gone then) and it is important to do before installing new ROMs (essencially important for KitKat). It can't do any harm. As you have tried to install other kernels and didn't work we should check first what did you try to flash so far and it didn't boot? Is that what you wrote all what you have tried?

Now let me know please which recovery do you have now and is it the same version like when you have created your nandroid backup? If the recovery is the same, I would indeed try to restore nandroid backup right after wiping /system. Before you wipe the system just let me know: can you use ADB? If yes, check do you have ADB connection in the recovery mode?

Will it wipe the internal memory? Or the rom in the phone?
I have cwm based recovery v. 6.0.1.2. Yes I used it to make the backup.
Checking for adb.. How do I do it? .

Last edited:

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Checking for adb.. How do I do it?

Hi! Internal memory usually shouldn't get wiped by formatting /system, as it is "storage", not part of the system. I would give a try, wipe all: data/factory reset, cache, dalvik cache (advanced) and format /system (mounts and storage). Then back to the main menu --> backup & restore --> restore from (internal or external memory where your nandroid is saved) and choose your backup. It should reboot normally then.

Reactions: AndroidReborn

AndroidReborn

Jun 23, 2012
Hi! Internal memory usually shouldn't get wiped by formatting /system, as it is "storage", not part of the system. I would give a try, wipe all: data/factory reset, cache, dalvik cache (advanced) and format /system (mounts and storage). Then back to the main menu --> backup & restore --> restore from (internal or external memory where your nandroid is saved) and choose your backup. It should reboot normally then.
Thanks for helping, but I ended up downloading the stock rom and flashing it. Everything was normal. Then I installed cm10.2 so everything's great now. Thanks!

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Cool, @AndroidReborn! :) Now you can install your old ROM again and restore nandroid. Keep that stock FW saved on your PC, so if your phone gets ever again soft-bricked, no problem to revive it again.

I am wondering how nobody here responsed your help prompt, we have in i9000 help threads always handfull people of experience and skills who are ready to help in need. And there are double amount of the SGS2 units sold around the world.... strange.

AndroidReborn

Jun 23, 2012
Cool, @AndroidReborn! :) Now you can install your old ROM again and restore nandroid. Keep that stock FW saved on your PC, so if your phone gets ever again soft-bricked, no problem to revive it again.

I am wondering how nobody here responsed your help prompt, we have in i9000 help threads always handfull people of experience and skills who are ready to help in need. And there are double amount of the SGS2 units sold around the world.... strange.

No idea. The people seem pretty 'busy'. Thanks for helping. Just one teeny tiny last question.. How do I install cm11 or any kitkat rom over this? Cwm is 6.0.4.5 so it's compatible...

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
If you want to flash kitkat, the first thing you need to do is flash a kitkat compatible CWM (v6.0.4.7). If you try to flash KK with an 'older' CWM, you'll get 'installation aborted....error status 7' or something similar........
I'm currently running @infected_s KK build, and in the OP, you will find download links for the correct CWM, ROM and GApps files.......

Sent from my Infected KitKat bar.....

Last edited:

AndroidReborn

Jun 23, 2012
If you want to flash kitkat, the first thing you need to do is flash a kitkat compatible CWM (v6.0.4.7). If you try to flash KK with an 'older' CWM, you'll get 'installation aborted....error status 7' or something similar........
I'm currently running @infected_s KK build, and in the OP, you will find download links for the correct CWM, ROM and GApps files.......

6.0.4.5 is compatible? I think so ......

keithross39

Aug 22, 2012
Oxford
I've always read....not.....
In any case, probably best not to risk it......
6.0.4.7 is DEFINITELY KK compatible.... and it'd take a couple of seconds to flash.........

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
No idea. The people seem pretty 'busy'. Thanks for helping. Just one teeny tiny last question.. How do I install cm11 or any kitkat rom over this? Cwm is 6.0.4.5 so it's compatible...

Yes, mate, CWM 6.0.4.5 is capable of flashing KitKat.
It is usually always the same:
  • download your ROM zip and compatible Gapps
  • check in the phone (or PC) if the zips are corrupted through download (if they open after clicking them, they are fine)
  • move the zips to the folder you will flash it from (if you use PC to flash zips with ADB sideload, put them in the sdk/platform-tools folder)
  • make nandroid backup of your presently used ROM
  • wipe data/factory reset
  • wipe cache
  • wipe dalvik cache (advanced)
  • format /system (under mount and storage)
  • flash ROM.zip
  • flash Gapps
  • reboot
It is in general always good to read in the development thread of the ROM you attend to flash in the opening post which Gapps are recommended, or if there is some unusual order of flashing (sometimes, developers recommend reboot system after flashing ROM, and after that going to recovery and flash Gapps zip.

Some KitKat ROMs struggle with root access by using Superuser, so SuperSU should be flashed. If SuperSU app from Play Store gives errors by updating binary, you should uninstall SuperSU app then, find in the Chainfire's thread the compatible UPDATE-SuperSu.zip (version for your phone), flash its zip in the recovery, install SuperSU app, update binary (either "normal" or "through CWM/TWRP")

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Checking for adb.. How do I do it?