[Q] GSM Support

Search This thread

tomkiley

May 22, 2010
Anyone know if the Verizon version that was just released also supports GSM and if it's unlocked. I'm planning to use it mainly on Verizon, but would like to be able to pop a SIM card in if I travel.

From what I've read on other Verizon phones - they have to leave 4g devices unlocked as part of their winning the 700MHz spectrum.

overlord727

Jul 18, 2011
Columbia, MD
I am curious about this too. I am on AT&T and know that the Canadian version should be fully compatible even with LTE, but its much harder to purchase than a VZW one.

big ach

Sep 14, 2006
Florida!
Verizon iphone 5 is GSM unlocked and can be used on at&t and T-mobile

Old Razr's and Razr Maxx's were GSM unlocked but only for international usage (were locked for at&t and T-mobile)

Not sure where our new Razr's fall!

g33ked

Mar 1, 2011
^^^ Same here, put it in my AT&T Sim to check, no luck. This phone might be like the previous droids, just unlocked for international. I wonder how Verizon allowed to lock their android devices, but keep the iPhone 5 unlocked. Isn't the FCC requirement required them to have all there LTE phones unlocked?

What came up when you put the at&t sim in? Did it ask for an unlock code?

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda premium

No unlock code prompt.. Just states that the AT&T SIM is invalid. The phone lets you load 2 AT&T APNs but nothing happens. Toggling the radio between global and GSM doesn't do anything. I have came to the conclusion Verizon locked down US GSM capabilities.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD!...

tomkiley

May 22, 2010
I guess it's only a matter of time before there are unlocks online.

It sounds like it does in fact have the GSM radio which means it's at least physically possible that it could work on other networks.

g33ked

Mar 1, 2011
The SIM slot is already unlocked, the reason it does not work on U.S. carriers is because Verizon blocked their MNC.

I wonder what the loophole that Verizon get to use to locked their android LTE phones from use of other us gsm carriers, well the ones that contain gsm radios. I know the recent spectrum deal required them to leave the sim slots unlocked, but was that only referring to the iPhones ? I know the 5 is unlocked and they can hard lock the phone from accessing us gsm carriers easily through a carrier update if they wanted to, example remember sprint iPhone 4S , all the phones released before nov 11 2011 where already gsm unlocked to work on any gsm carrier including us ones. Then they pushed a carrier update to lock the previous phones that were unlocked.

Last edited:

Sumanji

Apr 1, 2012
Durham, NC
LTE in other Europe?

Hey,

I'd like to buy a Verizon DRHD Maxx to use on EE's LTE network in the UK (1800MHz), but also to use on Verizon when I'm stateside. From what I can gather, it has the physical radios for both 2G and 3G on GSM networks, and is hopefully SIM unlocked for international SIM cards like the original Droid Razr is.

However, on GSM arena, they have only listed 700MHz LTE support - do we know if it is capable of supporting other bands also please (in Europe we use 800/1800/2600)?

a2f0ck.jpg

Thanks,

Suman

Last edited:

big ach

Sep 14, 2006
Florida!
The SIM slot is already unlocked, the reason it does not work on U.S. carriers is because Verizon blocked their MNC.

What does blocking the MNC mean?

So I guess its safe to assume its locked for US GSM carriers but would work with international GSM Sims?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Xyboard 10.1 with Verizon 4G LTE

rajeshr

Dec 8, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Hey,

I'd like to buy a Verizon DRHD Maxx to use on EE's LTE network in the UK (1800MHz), but also to use on Verizon when I'm stateside. From what I can gather, it has the physical radios for both 2G and 3G on GSM networks, and is hopefully SIM unlocked for international SIM cards like the original Droid Razr is.

However, on GSM arena, they have only listed 700MHz LTE support - do we know if it is capable of supporting other bands also please (in Europe we use 800/1800/2600)?

a2f0ck.jpg

Thanks,

Suman

These are the bands that the Droid RAZR MAXX HD (and RAZR HD) support (as taken from the Motorola site).

CDMA 800 1900, LTE B13, WCDMA 850 900 1900 2100, GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 EVDO Rev. A, HSDPA 21.1 Mbps (Cat 14), HSUPA 5.76 Mbps.

Doesn't look like any bands other than 700 are supported.

BTW, are the specs for the RAZR HD the European spec? The Canadian one supports 700/1700/2100 Mhz.

Last edited:

Sumanji

Apr 1, 2012
Durham, NC
Hey,

Ah that's a bummer :( could it be that the DRHD is the same hardware as the Canadian version, but they have disabled the 1700 and 2100 MHz band support?

I am unsure if the European or Global versions are pentaband - I'm just going by what GSMArena is saying at the moment (which could well be wrong).

I would really like to have a device that can support LTE on both sides of the pond though :(

Thanks,

Su

gusbeto37

Oct 13, 2010
Monterrey
I reaaaallly want to get a Razr MAXX HD, but unfortunately I live in Mexico where the main phone operator (Telcel) takes ages to release phones.

So I guess it's confirmed it does not work with ATT or T-Mobile, but is there any possibility anyone can test it with a GSM network outside the US to confirm that its only locked for the US?

TRF-Inferno

Dec 26, 2008
Carrollton, TX
I wonder what the loophole that Verizon get to use to locked their android LTE phones from use of other us gsm carriers, well the ones that contain gsm radios. I know the recent spectrum deal required them to leave the sim slots unlocked, but was that only referring to the iPhones ? I know the 5 is unlocked and they can hard lock the phone from accessing us gsm carriers easily through a carrier update if they wanted to, example remember sprint iPhone 4S , all the phones released before nov 11 2011 where already gsm unlocked to work on any gsm carrier including us ones. Then they pushed a carrier update to lock the previous phones that were unlocked.
Verizon's loop hole is that while utilizing LTE Band 13 requires the SIM slot to be unlocked, there are no bindings for them to have to make the device usable on other U.S. carriers.

What does blocking the MNC mean?

So I guess its safe to assume its locked for US GSM carriers but would work with international GSM Sims?
MNCs are identifier codes that allows for devices to pick up the right host for its network utilization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code

MNC blocking is usually done at the radio firmware, in this case, it is likely Verizon has MNC 150 and/or 260 blocked. While the phone can most likely see the signal, it does not allow the end user (The Operating System and the End User) to be able to see nor select it.

koala72

Oct 24, 2012
Verizon iphone 5 is GSM unlocked and can be used on at&t and T-mobile

Old Razr's and Razr Maxx's were GSM unlocked but only for international usage (were locked for at&t and T-mobile)

Not sure where our new Razr's fall!

I emailed Verizon and they confirmed that it is GSM unlocked for overseas carriers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You dont need to activate it first.

Enviado desde mi DROID RAZR HD usando Tapatalk 2