[GUIDE] How to reboot in recovery

Search This thread

b_henry

May 13, 2012
What baseband version,XXALJL or newer? And 3-button access to recovery worked before upgrade to XXAMA2 or not?

Last edited:

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
I'm thinking of a possible feature for the CM10 port: in boot.img, the init can detect if the home+vol.up is pressed and if so, reboot into recovery. In this way it become possible to switch even if the rest of /system is not working.

b_henry

May 13, 2012
This "feature" almost surely depends on bootloader version and probably only the devices which shipped with preinstalled XXALJL firmware are affected. Question is if the important part of the bootloader which detects if buttons are pressed and decides about starting recovery mode is upgradable in some way..

ppero196

Apr 14, 2012
Up north!
This "feature" almost surely depends on bootloader version and probably only the devices which shipped with preinstalled XXALJL firmware are affected. Question is if the important part of the bootloader which detects if buttons are pressed and decides about starting recovery mode is upgradable in some way..

I have XXALJL firmware (4.1.1) and NO, i cannot boot into recovery via button combo.
Altough i might be doing something wrong.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using xda app-developers app

Dahnark

Jan 29, 2013
I can't enter in recovery mode...

I tried wipe file, if I don't use the file param, block on boot.

I tried quickboot, nothing.

Factory mode in setting, nothing the mobile block on boot...

If I don't use param, the mobile after each flash, block on boot... and block when I tried to reboot in recovery mode.

xd.bx

May 14, 2011

Not exactly. What I was suggesting was to detect inside boot.img (by the init process) which buttons are pressed, and if volup+home is pressed then reboot into recovery. This way, even if /system is completely borked it is still possible to reboot into recovery.

_humi_

Dec 26, 2012
Hello guys,
I can boot into recovery, pressing, up, home and power for a long time. The "Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini"-logo comes two times, and I press the three buttons all the time, until an "Android" comes. Than I am in Recovery mode. I haven't flashed or rooted my phone now, but is it not easier root and flash it via cutsom recovery mode?
Sorry for my bad English :/ If you habe some questions about my phone ask :D

+1

mine works to with the button combo

aspot72

Since our phone doesnt have any button combination go enter the recovery we have to use workarounds.

ADB method
If you are running on non rooted ROM

1. Download and install Android SDK
2. Connect the phone to the PC via USB
3. Press Win key+ r and type cmd
4. Type adb reboot recovery
5. Done. Phone should reboot into recovery

Terminal method
If running rooted ROM

1.Download and install
Terminal Emulator app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm )
2. Open the app
3. Type su
4. Accept SuperUser permission
5. Type reboot recovery
6. Press enter
7. Done. Phone should reboot into recovery

App method
Requires root

1. Download and install this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siriusapplications.quickboot
2. Open the app
3. Click recovery
4. It should reboot

This guide may be updated once the cwm comes out!

Well my Mini has the button option. When bought it , it had 4.1.1 and it worked ok (Vol-Home+Power). Upgraded to 4.1.2 and still there... Also mine is 8190N, which I think points to NFC capability. But wondering what are other models like 8190L???

ppero196

Apr 14, 2012
Up north!
Well my Mini has the button option. When bought it , it had 4.1.1 and it worked ok (Vol-Home+Power). Upgraded to 4.1.2 and still there... Also mine is 8190N, which I think points to NFC capability. But wondering what are other models like 8190L???

L - Latin America model
T - 16 GB NFC model

ladislav.heller

Apr 25, 2012
Bratislava
Recovery + root

Hi all!

I'am a new S3 Mini user (moved from Galaxy Ace :D ).

I have following question:
Once I am in the factory recovery via the ADB method, can I directly root my phone from here? Or there is no such update.zip package which I can execute from factory recovery?

And yes, I saw the root methods described in general thread so please don't say: "Try methods described in general thread." :D

On my previous phone (Galaxy Ace) I was able to root the device from factory recovery. I did not need CWM or any other replacement for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: techguykk

ppero196

Apr 14, 2012
Up north!
Hi all!

I'am a new S3 Mini user (moved from Galaxy Ace :D ).

I have following question:
Once I am in the factory recovery via the ADB method, can I directly root my phone from here? Or there is no such update.zip package which I can execute from factory recovery?

And yes, I saw the root methods described in general thread so please don't say: "Try methods described in general thread." :D

On my previous phone (Galaxy Ace) I was able to root the device from factory recovery. I did not need CWM or any other replacement for this.

Nope.

You must install CWM first then the root. If you want that way.
Or use rooted rom.

Samsung locked stock recovery to only accept samsung signed zip

Reactions: ladislav.heller

catanzaro27

Sep 4, 2010
You can root it from stock recovery with a zip recently launched. You can find it in General thread.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

tys0n

hello, im new in android, and s3 mini is my phone..
what is this recovery mode for? thanks

Let's say your phone won't boot normal for some reason. Then you can enter recovery-mode to clear cache, or even restore the phone with factory reset.
If you flash a custom recovery to the phone there will be even more options like backup/restore, fix permissions, and many more.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

NEWS on the tre button combo not working:laugh:
Read from post 26.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update

Flash this to have working combo

[HOW-TO] Enable Three Button Combo [RECOVERY]

Since our phone doesnt have any button combination go enter the recovery we have to use workarounds

Other methods:

ADB method

4. Type adb reboot recovery

Terminal method
    If running rooted ROM

1.Download and install
    Terminal Emulator app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm )
    2. Open the app
    3. Type su
    5. Type reboot recovery
    6. Press enter

App method
    Requires root

1. Download and install this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siriusapplications.quickboot
    2. Open the app
    3. Click recovery
    4. It should reboot

I dont understand how to do it with adb

Hi, I`m not ppero196 but how it works. Download this rar and extract on your PC. I always take the path to C:\Android\ . Then activate USB-Debugging on your device and connect your device to the PC. Open the cmd on your windows machine and type:

For download mode:

Code:
    cd\
    cd Android
    adb reboot download

or for the recovery mode:

Code:
    cd\
    cd Android
    adb reboot recovery

Have fun by the trying.

@ ppero196:

You write in the first post that:

Type adb reboot reccocery

Can you please fixed the command for reboot recovery? Thanks in advance.

Regards leather.face
    ..And here you can find the supereasy method!
    Only 2mb download to flash with Odin to enable keys to work. :good:
    No button combination?

Hello guys,
    I can boot into recovery, pressing, up, home and power for a long time. The "Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini"-logo comes two times, and I press the three buttons all the time, until an "Android" comes. Than I am in Recovery mode. I haven't flashed or rooted my phone now, but is it not easier root and flash it via cutsom recovery mode?
    Sorry for my bad English :/ If you habe some questions about my phone ask :D
    Since our phone doesnt have any button combination go enter the recovery we have to use workarounds.

ADB method

4. Type adb reboot reccocery

Terminal method
    If running rooted ROM

1.Download and install
    2. Open the app
    3. Type su
    5. Type reboot recovery
    6. Press enter

And one more way, if you have rooted your phone, you can install an app like quick boot and use it for booting into recovery. ;)

Пратено со Tapatalk 2 од мојот SGSIII mini