WiFi Speed Slow

Search This thread

jvcjbl

Mar 4, 2007
Houston, TX
I have 45 Mbps WiFi service here at the house and can verify this over and over with speed tests on my computer and they continually report 40-45 Mbps consistently. On my HTC One I only see like 12-20 Mbps at most when connected to the same WiFi and the same distance to the router. My buddies iPhone sees the full bandwidth of the wireless connection. Has anyone else experienced this? Fixes? I am not rooted and completely stock other than apps.

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
I have 50+ internet service and have no issues maxing it out with my phone. Have you disabled the "Wifi oltimization" under the advanced settings of wifi? If not, try that, mine is unchecked. Note that having it unchecked does use more power.

Here are my speed test results. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/691833801

I am rooted, but haven't done any tweaking to wifi.

jvcjbl

Mar 4, 2007
Houston, TX
I have 50+ internet service and have no issues maxing it out with my phone. Have you disabled the "Wifi oltimization" under the advanced settings of wifi? If not, try that, mine is unchecked. Note that having it unchecked does use more power.

Here are my speed test results. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/691833801

I am rooted, but haven't done any tweaking to wifi.

I had it enabled on my phone. I disabled it and checked the speed. Started off at 23 Mbps then throttled back to 16 Mbps. My Wife has the same phone and I checked her's. She gets the same results. I checked my work laptop right now (Window 7 machine) and got 42 Mbps. I checked my Macbook Pro and got 40 Mbps. Something with these phones isn't allowing the full speed. What doesn't make sense is the fact iPhones work great.

Tigerstown

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
I have Comcast 50 download speed an all 3 of my HTC ones get 55+ always an my hardline devices get 60.

Sent from my S-OFF FAUX HBOOT BLUE HTC ONE using the XDA PREMIUM APP

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
I have 45 Mbps WiFi service here at the house and can verify this over and over with speed tests on my computer and they continually report 40-45 Mbps consistently. On my HTC One I only see like 12-20 Mbps at most when connected to the same WiFi and the same distance to the router. My buddies iPhone sees the full bandwidth of the wireless connection. Has anyone else experienced this? Fixes? I am not rooted and completely stock other than apps.

I don't know if you found a solution, but I stumbled upon one tonight...I was having the same issue. The solution sounds weird, but go to settings>location and turn location services off...I did that and instantly hit the speeds my Comcast service advertises. Haven't played around with the different location services settings yet, though.

Edit: I just toggled it off and back on and I'm still getting much better results.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

jvcjbl

Mar 4, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't know if you found a solution, but I stumbled upon one tonight...I was having the same issue. The solution sounds weird, but go to settings>location and turn location services off...I did that and instantly hit the speeds my Comcast service advertises. Haven't played around with the different location services settings yet, though.

Edit: I just toggled it off and back on and I'm still getting much better results.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I will give this a try when I get home.

jvcjbl

Mar 4, 2007
Houston, TX
Went to Settings>Location and then turned off "Access to my location" which disabled everything. Went and did a speed test following this and there was no change. Not sure what is going on.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
Went to Settings>Location and then turned off "Access to my location" which disabled everything. Went and did a speed test following this and there was no change. Not sure what is going on.

Ah dang. I wonder why it worked for me...I'm on a 4.4 Rom so I have the on/off toggle at the top right of the location screen...dunno if that makes a difference.

jvcjbl

Mar 4, 2007
Houston, TX
Ah dang. I wonder why it worked for me...I'm on a 4.4 Rom so I have the on/off toggle at the top right of the location screen...dunno if that makes a difference.

I just hard reset my phone after taking the update to 4.4.2 the other night. This resolved nothing. I did do a speed test and it went to 28 mbps down then throttled back to 15 mbps. I am not sure what the hell is going on here. Only other thing I will try is hooking up my old Wireless N router and see if that communicates better with the phone. If it does then it is something with this new router from AT&T.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
I just hard reset my phone after taking the update to 4.4.2 the other night. This resolved nothing. I did do a speed test and it went to 28 mbps down then throttled back to 15 mbps. I am not sure what the hell is going on here. Only other thing I will try is hooking up my old Wireless N router and see if that communicates better with the phone. If it does then it is something with this new router from AT&T.

Flashed a new Rom and had the same issue. Location services didn't work either...reset my router (it's a pretty crappy one) and that did the trick. Do you have a gateway for uverse? I would definitely put it in bridge mode and hook your router up to it if it is. That's what our IT guy told me to do with my set up and it seems to have better range etc...it's just that I have a POS router hooked up haha.

jvcjbl

Mar 4, 2007
Houston, TX
Flashed a new Rom and had the same issue. Location services didn't work either...reset my router (it's a pretty crappy one) and that did the trick. Do you have a gateway for uverse? I would definitely put it in bridge mode and hook your router up to it if it is. That's what our IT guy told me to do with my set up and it seems to have better range etc...it's just that I have a POS router hooked up haha.

I reset my old Router (Belkin N+) and hooked that up (used to have my old Uverse gateway hooked up this way) and did a speed test. Same results as before. From what I gather bridge mode isn't enabled on this gateway. It is the new Bonded Pair Modem for use with their Power (45 Mbps) internet service. This is really frustrating the hell out of me.

Darkmx2000

Nov 4, 2009
Charlestown
I was getting the same issue as you are but the only difference is that my fiance's HTC One stock versus mine being rooted stock she was pulling in higher speeds when connected to the same WiFi, when I would start the test it would start out strong and then throttle back down somewhere between 6-9 Mbps when my plan is 50Mbps download and she would be getting 40+ easily ? my has started to catch up now but it's not really consistent. I believe it maybe something to do with my router cause I was at my friends house who also has Comcast and it was pulling faster speeds. But my laptop at home is having no issues with download speeds. This is my most recent speed test I just did about 5 mins ago.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/744622538

Sent from my One using Tapatalk ?

jvcjbl

Mar 4, 2007
Houston, TX
Ended up getting Verizon to let me dump the HTC One and go back to my Galaxy S4. I initially had them allow me to switch from the S4 to the One but now I got them to go back. OMG what a difference. Data is 10X faster on 4G and WIFI hits the full 45mbps of my IWIFI at home. No changes to the router, no resets, just a new different phone.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
Ended up getting Verizon to let me dump the HTC One and go back to my Galaxy S4. I initially had them allow me to switch from the S4 to the One but now I got them to go back. OMG what a difference. Data is 10X faster on 4G and WIFI hits the full 45mbps of my IWIFI at home. No changes to the router, no resets, just a new different phone.

That sucks you had to switch back to the S4! Haha I'm just playin. I messed around a bit with mine and I'm able to get my max WiFi speed. My coworkers S4 gets slightly slower (not a relevant difference, though) data speeds.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

jvcjbl

Mar 4, 2007
Houston, TX
That sucks you had to switch back to the S4! Haha I'm just playin. I messed around a bit with mine and I'm able to get my max WiFi speed. My coworkers S4 gets slightly slower (not a relevant difference, though) data speeds.

The fastest 4G data speeds I could get with full signal using the One was about 21mbps. I'm at work with 2 bars of 4G and am cruising with 35mbps down. I forgot how much faster this phone was with data. Downtown Houston I pulled in 55mbps down when I had my other one. I'm traveling out of state tomorrow so I can't wait to see how it fairs.

brholt6

Oct 10, 2013
The fastest 4G data speeds I could get with full signal using the One was about 21mbps. I'm at work with 2 bars of 4G and am cruising with 35mbps down. I forgot how much faster this phone was with data. Downtown Houston I pulled in 55mbps down when I had my other one. I'm traveling out of state tomorrow so I can't wait to see how it fairs.

Eek, 21 is pretty slow. I have a feeling it was your phone...I've never pulled that slow in KC. I'm always around 45-50. Either way...at least you've got it worked out!