[4.1] JellyBean Dev thread

Search This thread

Shelnutt2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 8, 2010
I'll keep this post upto date with the last on the status of the build.

I've updated the manifest and it's inline with cm10. https://github.com/TeamICS/manifest_ics_cm/tree/jellybean
Builds are located here.
Nightlies are here or here

If you are not using firerats or don't know what that is make sure you use one of the "_shrunk" nightlies.

Currently the room boots. Lots of things work, here is what doesn't:
Bluetooth (pairing)
HW Acceleration (not likely)
Anything missing from CM10

Known issues are:
Headphone + speaker plays when headphones are in

<--previous-->
IT LIVES!
The build doesn't flash, but it successfully built. You need to use firerats as the system partition is over 173mb by itself. Not sure of optimal settings as it doesn't flash but we're getting closer.

Complete repo diff and repo status is here:
https://gist.github.com/3095432

Things disabled at build:
audioinwrapper from srec
libaac/libFDK
compiler-rt
maybe others.

Please note I haven't cleaned anything so it's quite messy and some stuff isn't pushed up to the repos yet. However it builds and that's a big step. It's off to bed and work tomorrow so I won't get a chance to work on it until the evening/friday.

Very close to a build, libaac is the only blocker, I've reached out to cyanogenmod guys to see if they have any ideas to fix aac, without completely rewritting the asm code. The problem is armv6j doesn't support smmul, clz and others in thumb mode, but armv7 (and the few devices with thumb2 on armv6t2) do. I don't have enough experience with arm asm to figure out how to rework the code to convert from 32 bit operations to 16bit operations. Also valgrind is not supported in armv6 (and can't be) so its disabled.
  1. problems building aac, due to asm code, currently disabled a blocker
  2. problems building srec due to audio issue, disabled
  3. haven't ported camera

So far there is only two show stoppers, first is the audio because its changed again slightly. Shouldn't be too hard to work around. Second is cm team is still porting over all armv6 patches. Building on armv5 get stuck at audio, but armv6 get stuck on some asm code in bionic.[/sstrike] aac. AAC is being a really PITA!

<--Original Post-->
So I'm sure some of you guys are watching the I/O live. For those that aren't it's offical Jellybean will be 4.1. It's got loads of new and nice features. A lot of performance upgrades and the most important thing is the annoucement of the platform development kit. It's got all the low level details and apis need to port hardware to android.

Source code will be released in mid july, which is when the real development starts.

The hardwork everyone did on ICS, jaybob, matt, evervolv team and everyone from the G1, hero and eris forums laid the foundation. The main issue that has always held the heroc back has been the drivers. We have a great .35 kernel but with ICS a lot of the framework, that is hardware <-> software interactions changed. Thats what our audio issue was at first, and the camera. Audio was fixed by porting gingerbread patches and legacy audio support. The camera was tougher but eventually fell to the power of the community! The only two major things left are camcorder and full gpu acceleration.

The PDK will hopefully provide the last little bit we need to get acceleration working fully. It's no magic but from the keynote sounds like it might provide the information we need. Or it might not. Won't know until it lands on the web.

Overall jellybean is a step further from our old heroc's but there is still almost 20k devices officially running cm7! We obviously still have a community here who has yet to upgrade so the new goal is jellybean or bust!

As more information and sources are released I'll update the thread. I plan to port our TeamICS github account to Jellybean as soon as it's released. With luck everything will compile and be in the same boat as ics but only time will tell.

Last edited:

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
Thank you so much for posting this thread! I would have never knew about this. I'm willing to contribute to Jellybean although I'm with the Evo Shift now. I can make AOSP whenever the first jellybean Rom is released hopefully fixing some things! :)

whoshotjr2006

Jun 8, 2010
toledo
count me in, i still have a few months on my heroc left until i upgrade

most of the fixes that happened from eligorom should be able to be applied to jellybean, as its basically the same rom as ics (from early reports)

Reactions: Hmoobphajej

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I really need to add it to a signature when here in the HeroC forums, but:

My HeroC has been inactive on a carrier for the last year +, that being said, I still use the crap out of the device when I can, for a clock/alarm, music, GVoice and GrooveIP phone calls when home...

Basically, I would LOVE to see this thing continue to get updates, I still run CM7 over CM9 or ICS because for me, I see the most performance with CM7. Your talk of the PDK has me excited that I might see equal or better performance out of Jelly Bean on my HeroC!

TYVM, keep us updated :D

whoshotjr2006

Jun 8, 2010
toledo
im pretty sure jellybean is going to run equal with ics for us, since hardware acceleration is still not available to us

i've been scouring the web for a solution, but no dice so far. we can turn off hwa, but i see no performance increase from doing so

from what i read, its going to take a module and some tweaks, so its going to take a dev with alot of time and knowledge on their hands to get us up to par with the adreno 200, which may never happen (although i hope it does, the heroc is awesome)

Reactions: cuezaireekaa

EggosEvo

Feb 8, 2011
Kansas City
im pretty sure jellybean is going to run equal with ics for us, since hardware acceleration is still not available to us

i've been scouring the web for a solution, but no dice so far. we can turn off hwa, but i see no performance increase from doing so

from what i read, its going to take a module and some tweaks, so its going to take a dev with alot of time and knowledge on their hands to get us up to par with the adreno 200, which may never happen (although i hope it does, the heroc is awesome)

So will Project Butter have no effect on the Hero? I would think that it would at least have some effect in adding smoothness.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: marshelex16

alex_camacho

Dec 8, 2010
I have to say I'm really exited about this. I ran ICS a few times on my hero with no problems, but I'm still using it as a daily even though I'm sure it would run fine. Ive been thinking about upgrading, but i don't see why. I really don't like any new phones. Their too big, no track ball, and i just simply don't like any of the new phones out right now. So all that being said... JELLYBEAN :)!!!!!

Reactions: marshelex16

Shelnutt2

Mar 8, 2010
Source is out!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-building/XBYeD-bhk1o

edit: Not quite yet.

I'll update the TeamICS github with a new manifest for it as soon as it's out. Good news is that I happen to have tomorrow off so looks like I'll get a nice full day of playing around and trying to get it building. As with ICS I suspect most things will be broken, audio, dalvik, etc. So we'll have to port the ICS patches to jb. Once cm updates it's sources to jb, then we can switch back to them as they will have most of the patches in place already.

Last edited:

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
Source is out!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-building/XBYeD-bhk1o

edit: Not quite yet.

I'll update the TeamICS github with a new manifest for it as soon as it's out. Good news is that I happen to have tomorrow off so looks like I'll get a nice full day of playing around and trying to get it building. As with ICS I suspect most things will be broken, audio, dalvik, etc. So we'll have to port the ICS patches to jb. Once cm updates it's sources to jb, then we can switch back to them as they will have most of the patches in place already.

I change my mind, i do think the hero can run jb BUT im not to sure about 5.0 or whatever they call it.. i upgraded to the evo shift and love it!! Just letting y'all know because this might be the last upgrade sadly said :/

Sent from my BNTV250 using xda premium

whoshotjr2006

Jun 8, 2010
toledo
awesome, cant wait to see the first source build :D

ill help in whatever way i can, i just cant dl source because of my crappy internet connection (but if i can find someone to borrow faster internet from for a few hours ill most definitely dl source and try to contribute back that way)

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
Lol may take me a while before I can start porting for the hero again..
My current projects for the evo shift:
Motoblur
Porting Sense

Thats pretty much it =)

Shelnutt2

Mar 8, 2010
Well the cyanogenmod guys are making quick work of jellybean. Every hour more and more patches are ported over. Good news is we are very close to a build. Here are the current issue and workarounds.

1. Audio doesn't build, working on porting it over
  2. problems with v6 in dalvik, changed to arm mode and ported ics *.S files
  3. problems building aac, due to asm code, currently disabled
  4. problems building srec due to audio issue, working on porting audio
  5. haven't ported camera
  6. Currently hungry and looking for lunch :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

ganja5000

Jun 15, 2010
Well the cyanogenmod guys are making quick work of jellybean. Every hour more and more patches are ported over. Good news is we are very close to a build. Here are the current issue and workarounds.

1. Audio doesn't build, working on porting it over
  2. problems with v6 in dalvik, changed to arm mode and ported ics *.S files
  3. problems building aac, due to asm code, currently disabled
  4. problems building srec due to audio issue, working on porting audio
  5. haven't ported camera
  6. Currently hungry and looking for lunch :fingers-crossed:

So excited. My Hero has a sweet tooth.

Last edited:

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
Ha yeah to be honest the hero is getting more development on ics then my evo shift because y'all have aokp.. I need help with someone getting it to work on my evo shift.. We just had a ICS Kernel released so that better get some devs working :).. Even though we lost A LOT to the evo 4g lte sadly said..

ganja5000

Jun 15, 2010
Ha yeah to be honest the hero is getting more development on ics then my evo shift because y'all have aokp.. I need help with someone getting it to work on my evo shift.. We just had a ICS Kernel released so that better get some devs working :).. Even though we lost A LOT to the evo 4g lte sadly said..

I dont know about AOKP. Sure it was ported, but what work has there been done on it since? Honestly ICS ran super smooth for me on my Hero, especially coupled with V6SuperCharger. I was using LauncherPro on ICS to add to the smoothness, but the V6SuperCharger allows for smooth use of Apex.

whoshotjr2006

Jun 8, 2010
toledo
yeah, it wasnt aokp that accelerated our cause, aokp has only been around for a few weeks for us so far. it was jaybob's ics aosp rom that really kicked things into gear. that and stritfajt with the camera fix, and the guys over at hero gsm for all the different tweaks and fixes, and mongoosehelix over at eris that kicked butt with evervolv for us. im sure im missing some people, but it doesnt make them any less important to the cause.

and last but not least all the testers and rom flashers that gave excellent feedback

i look forward to seeing jb run like ics :)

Reactions: kjjjjshab

Shelnutt2

Mar 8, 2010
So the reason it's unflashable was because it's over the 170mb limit of the phone. Even though I'm using firerats there still seems to be a hard limit of the recovery and fastboot. The solution is to use a newer recovery, anything cwm 3.x or higher works. The dev phone I'm using had 2.5 cwm and that was the issue. Now it flashes fine. Only problem is for some reason sh didn't build, so now I'm looking to see why it didn't build.

Reactions: whoshotjr2006

whoshotjr2006

Jun 8, 2010
toledo
we can cut out some cruft, like live wallpapers, and ringtones/notification sounds. live wallpapers dont work well on heroc anyway.

the sh error is boggling me too, supposedly its mksh symlinked as sh, which should have worked as thats how it is in ics roms.

im on the job lol

edit: yeah something is definitely rotton with those permissions, i checked them against an ics rom and everything checks out, but we still get the permissions error. i'm wondering if its the update binary possibly? ill do some checking and let you know one way or the other

Last edited:
Reactions: kjjjjshab

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'll keep this post upto date with the last on the status of the build.

I've updated the manifest and it's inline with cm10. https://github.com/TeamICS/manifest_ics_cm/tree/jellybean
    Builds are located here.
    Nightlies are here or here

If you are not using firerats or don't know what that is make sure you use one of the "_shrunk" nightlies.

Currently the room boots. Lots of things work, here is what doesn't:
    Bluetooth (pairing)
    HW Acceleration (not likely)
    Anything missing from CM10

Known issues are:
    Headphone + speaker plays when headphones are in

<--previous-->
    IT LIVES!
    The build doesn't flash, but it successfully built. You need to use firerats as the system partition is over 173mb by itself. Not sure of optimal settings as it doesn't flash but we're getting closer.

Complete repo diff and repo status is here:
    https://gist.github.com/3095432

Things disabled at build:
    audioinwrapper from srec
    libaac/libFDK
    compiler-rt
    maybe others.

Please note I haven't cleaned anything so it's quite messy and some stuff isn't pushed up to the repos yet. However it builds and that's a big step. It's off to bed and work tomorrow so I won't get a chance to work on it until the evening/friday.

Very close to a build, libaac is the only blocker, I've reached out to cyanogenmod guys to see if they have any ideas to fix aac, without completely rewritting the asm code. The problem is armv6j doesn't support smmul, clz and others in thumb mode, but armv7 (and the few devices with thumb2 on armv6t2) do. I don't have enough experience with arm asm to figure out how to rework the code to convert from 32 bit operations to 16bit operations. Also valgrind is not supported in armv6 (and can't be) so its disabled.
    1. problems building aac, due to asm code, currently disabled a blocker
    2. problems building srec due to audio issue, disabled
    3. haven't ported camera

So far there is only two show stoppers, first is the audio because its changed again slightly. Shouldn't be too hard to work around. Second is cm team is still porting over all armv6 patches. Building on armv5 get stuck at audio, but armv6 get stuck on some asm code in bionic.[/sstrike] aac. AAC is being a really PITA!

<--Original Post-->
    So I'm sure some of you guys are watching the I/O live. For those that aren't it's offical Jellybean will be 4.1. It's got loads of new and nice features. A lot of performance upgrades and the most important thing is the annoucement of the platform development kit. It's got all the low level details and apis need to port hardware to android.

Source code will be released in mid july, which is when the real development starts.

The hardwork everyone did on ICS, jaybob, matt, evervolv team and everyone from the G1, hero and eris forums laid the foundation. The main issue that has always held the heroc back has been the drivers. We have a great .35 kernel but with ICS a lot of the framework, that is hardware <-> software interactions changed. Thats what our audio issue was at first, and the camera. Audio was fixed by porting gingerbread patches and legacy audio support. The camera was tougher but eventually fell to the power of the community! The only two major things left are camcorder and full gpu acceleration.

The PDK will hopefully provide the last little bit we need to get acceleration working fully. It's no magic but from the keynote sounds like it might provide the information we need. Or it might not. Won't know until it lands on the web.

Overall jellybean is a step further from our old heroc's but there is still almost 20k devices officially running cm7! We obviously still have a community here who has yet to upgrade so the new goal is jellybean or bust!

As more information and sources are released I'll update the thread. I plan to port our TeamICS github account to Jellybean as soon as it's released. With luck everything will compile and be in the same boat as ics but only time will tell.
    Since I haven't had much time to do much with the heroc lately, I figured I would test the standby time. On 8/5 nightly, I have 90 hrs of standby so far with 7% battery left lol. Awesome work shelnutt.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

Nice times! For those interested this weekend I plan to get full back into it. Between trying to get my Austin-Healey Sprite running and moving this past weekend I've been preoccupied. However the Sprite is basically running. Just need a new starter now. Move is almost completely unpacked.

The most exciting things coming are we have a possible complete audio fix, thanks in part to Benjamin. Bluetooth is getting closer, fixed the hw issue now just need to get bluez working. After that I'll talk the latest jb gapps, get market working fully, get sdcard working, fix screen shots and then the big one, camera. If I don't have camera working before September I'll be quite disappointed, as I want to start using this as my daily!
    Thanks solely to Benjamin we now have a properly working sdcard. I've also included munjeni's RIL patch again. I posted a new boot.img to my server with the sdcard fixes and nightly from 0805 onward should have it included. Lastly I changed the default oc back to 691 for those having problems at 710.

http://jellybean.dccontests.com/cm-10-20120805-UNOFFICIAL-heroc-latest.zip
    Here is an updated build. Nothing changed from the latest except more cm10 features.
    http://jellybean.dccontests.com/cm-10-20120729-UNOFFICIAL-heroc-latest.zip

Anddd to satisfy your cravings, I've setup a nightly cronjob. New builds should be uploaded here every night around 1:45-2am EST.
    @ the devs

I got cell connection last night. I noticed though that the rom was a little bit slower than the first attempt (with or without gapps).

question though. with your edits to the kernel and minfrees, am i still able to use V6SuperCharger or his kernelizer??

thanks for the hard work guyz

You should be able to use both of those although I can't atest to how they will work. They could do wonders or they could blow up your phone. There is still a lot we are trying to fix with the base rom first. Also in regards to the slow downs, I'll keep an eye on it, and do inform us how it "feels" to you. I switched from generic drivers to heroc specific, sot here might be some kinks in our drivers that need to be worked out for jellybean.

edit: Small update
    Here is the latest build, with working audio. Sound works, mic recording works, but there might be some issue still. Further testing is needed.
    http://jellybean.dccontests.com/cm-10-20120721-UNOFFICIAL-heroc-latest.zip

double edit:
    Place this in /system/etc/ and reboot, fixes codec issues:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1207669&d=1342668760