G2 Degrading GPS performance

Search This thread

Soundy106

Jan 24, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
My GPS performance has been slowly getting worse and worse and I can't figure out why.

When I got the phone it would lock on to *at least* 10 out of 20+ satellites within seconds and maintain high accuracy. Over time, it's taken longer and longer to lock, uses fewer and fewer birds when it does (I'm lucky to see 6/12 most times), and loses position more easily.

I do an AGPS refresh regularly, tried it with several different app (my main one is GPS Status Unlocked), but it doesn't help. I recently received the OTA update to Kit Kat, but it made no difference either way.

Just fired up GPS Status and it shows 0/18 satellites... trying and trying but that's it. Meanwhile, just started GPS Status on my wife's Galaxy Tab 10.1, and it instantly shows 16/16. (Ooooh, and now the G2 is at 1/16).

I thought maybe the Otterbox was affecting reception but removing it makes zero difference as well.

Maestroramas

Oct 5, 2013
My GPS performance has been slowly getting worse and worse and I can't figure out why.

When I got the phone it would lock on to *at least* 10 out of 20+ satellites within seconds and maintain high accuracy. Over time, it's taken longer and longer to lock, uses fewer and fewer birds when it does (I'm lucky to see 6/12 most times), and loses position more easily.

I do an AGPS refresh regularly, tried it with several different app (my main one is GPS Status Unlocked), but it doesn't help. I recently received the OTA update to Kit Kat, but it made no difference either way.

Just fired up GPS Status and it shows 0/18 satellites... trying and trying but that's it. Meanwhile, just started GPS Status on my wife's Galaxy Tab 10.1, and it instantly shows 16/16. (Ooooh, and now the G2 is at 1/16).

I thought maybe the Otterbox was affecting reception but removing it makes zero difference as well.

This is a recognised issued of LG G2. In this section there is a topic who deals about GPS issues. Search for it ;)

Soundy106

Jan 24, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
I did search. Got either excessive unrelated hits because the search was too broad, or nothing at all when I narrowed it down. In fact, I've searched on multiple occasions with similar non-results.

So perhaps just a link to the appropriate thread wouldn't be too much to ask.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

foxracer89

Nov 4, 2013
I have similar issue. At first (on stock JB) it locked in no time with great accuracy. Now on cloudypro 2.1 I have to wait for gps lock like forever (in some apps it's really fast, but for example in google maps it doesnt even get fix sometimes).

Currently I got position error shown in GPS status from 7 to 20-30m. Often speed isn't shown and when I'm not moving it shows ~5-6km/h. My father had SGS+ and from what I remember it had factory fault when due to temperature gps antenna seperated from glue and caused lack in performance. Maybe it is the same with our LG?

I dont know what's the cause, but I intend to go back to JB and see if it's gonna be any help.