Tab Pro 8.4 Battery Life

Search This thread

metaldood

Dec 26, 2010
How much battery life are you guys getting on your Tab Pro 8.4? I bought mine couple of days back and I felt it's disappointing.

sbleacher

Nov 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
What bugged me was the disappointing battery life when the screen was turned off (not completely powered off of course). Even in airplane mode it would die in a day or two just sitting around. Battery stats showed Android System and OS were killing the battery. I never figured out if there was a setting or something to fix it.

Instead I loaded Cyanogenmod 11 on it a week ago and now it uses only 3% of the battery a day when I'm not using it. I don't miss any of the Samsung extras.

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
What bugged me was the disappointing battery life when the screen was turned off (not completely powered off of course). Even in airplane mode it would die in a day or two just sitting around. Battery stats showed Android System and OS were killing the battery. I never figured out if there was a setting or something to fix it.

Instead I loaded Cyanogenmod 11 on it a week ago and now it uses only 3% of the battery a day when I'm not using it. I don't miss any of the Samsung extras.
Something must be keeping it awake. My tab has excellent standby battery life.
Doesnt lose more than 5% in a day. I do have the setting to turn wifi off when in sleep mode though (unless plugged in)

Battery life on the whole varies. Video watching through the stock video player drops about 10% an hour. Surfing would depend on your browsing habits. Gaming drains close to 20% an hour. Pretty standard. That along with the excellent stand by time means I get about 2 days of use on a charge.

Last edited:

dansafe

Mar 11, 2006
Every day at work telephony, internet, email, IMO 24hours, 24hours Bluethooth Gear 2 connect. Dinner consists of my tablet battery 55%. For me life is great. My tablet root and frozen Samsung Apps (Bloatware) ... XDA .... Try the Nova launcher from the Play Store to Improve speed. Set it as your default launcher then Disable / Turn Off;
Flipboard, MagazineWidget, S Voice, Samsung Apps, Samsung Apps Widget, SapaMonitor, Screen Saver, World Clock, and (Hancom, Office for Android Share, Hcell, Hshow, Hword, Updater, Viewer Launcher, and Widget) if you do not plan on using it.

We will be adding Quadrant test 24,000 points on the original ROM.

Play google baterry doctor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-50-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-50-53.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 2,904
  • Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-50-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-50-58.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 2,765
  • Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-52-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-52-50.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 2,524
  • Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-57-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-02-18-57-43.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 2,505
Last edited:

sbleacher

Nov 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon

Doesnt lose more than 5% in a day. I do have the setting to turn wifi off when in sleep mode though (unless plugged in)

Yes it was using as much battery as watching a movie with the screen on. Something was terribly wrong with it. I think this behavior started after a software update I got from Samsung.

I turned everything off including Wifi and it was still eating the battery while sitting there with the screen off. I have never seen that with any Android device I've ever owned.

But I'm happy with Cyanogenmod. Battery life is outstanding now.

Wotta

Dec 14, 2010
My battery life was mediocre, and then I put cyanogenmod on, and it went to dreadful. With the tablet at 100% and OFF, untouched, it would be 20% down in 10 hours. In contrast, my iPad loses maybe 3% in that time, doing the same thing - tracking email.

I ran a wakelock tracker and noticed that Exchange Services has it awake about half the time. The total time. Like in 10 hours Exchange had it awake (with screen off) more than five hours. Effen ay. Something is seriously screwed up with how Cyanogenmod's Exchange talks to the two Exchange services I use. Switching from Push to "5 minutes" has helped significantly; Exchange is still the worst culprit, but now only by a factor of four rather than a few hundred.

Ideally what I'd like is the new Exchange apks modified to prevent admin and fixed to be less wakelock intensive.

metaldood

Dec 26, 2010

Battery life on the whole varies. Video watching through the stock video player drops about 10% an hour. Surfing would depend on your browsing habits. Gaming drains close to 20% an hour. Pretty standard. That along with the excellent stand by time means I get about 2 days of use on a charge.

What is your on-screen time during the 2 days?

sbleacher

Nov 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I ran a wakelock tracker and noticed that Exchange Services has it awake about half the time. The total time. Like in 10 hours Exchange had it awake (with screen off) more than five hours. Effen ay. Something is seriously screwed up with how Cyanogenmod's Exchange talks to the two Exchange services I use. Switching from Push to "5 minutes" has helped significantly; Exchange is still the worst culprit, but now only by a factor of four rather than a few hundred.

Cyanogenmod has their own version of Exchange?

Our Exchange servers at work are ridiculously slow and unreliable. They can take two minutes to return your mail which is a major drain on your battery if it's set to check it every five minutes and you get a lot of mail. Sometimes they'll just stop responding and leave you hanging. The IT people just tell you to keep trying and you'll get your mail eventually.

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
What is your on-screen time during the 2 days?
Dunno.. 7-8 hrs I guess. Screen on time really doesnt mean much without any context.
I can get 12hrs+ watching videos on 20% brightness. I can kill it in 4 hrs playing games at 100%.

Like I said, the standby is excellent. Drains less than 10% in 2 days. So for me, I have about 90% to use over 2 days.. and from my experience,
video drains less than 10%/hr
gaming ~20%
reading books drains less than video.
General surfing, mails, social networking uses between 10-15% depending on how you are using it.

My brightness is usually around 40%. Goes up rarely when I'm using it bright conditions. Goes lower when I'm reading late at night

Should give you an indication of what you can expect from the battery depending on your usage..

animedreamer240

Mar 1, 2014
Mine drains about 10% per hour while constantly using the device for light tasks, such as reading, web surfing, and watching some YT videos here and there. That increases to about 15%/hour when I watch movies. So after watching a 2 hour movie, I expect to see about 70-75% of battery left. Now if I'm listening to music for an hour at the gym with the screen turned off, it only drains about 3%.

At first, I thought that was pretty mediocre and felt disappointed. But I've taken my tablet with me on many trips and never had it die (usually just close to 20%). I rarely ever use my external battery pack. I know this will vary depending on how long the trip is and how much you're using it, but I'm just saying that it meets my needs despite having a lower battery life compared to some other tablets. I do all I can to extend it, but I don't have to constantly watch it.

Last edited:

metaldood

Dec 26, 2010
Last night I charged the tab 100% and with Wifi off (sync for 1 min every hour. )

Today the battery is at 71% - On battery 13hours - 44 mins

27% Android OS
24% Google services
13% Android System
8% Onscreen time - 20 mins :confused:

Should I flash CM to fix this?

Wotta

Dec 14, 2010
Last night I charged the tab 100% and with Wifi off (sync for 1 min every hour. )

Today the battery is at 71% - On battery 13hours - 44 mins

27% Android OS
24% Google services
13% Android System
8% Onscreen time - 20 mins :confused:

Should I flash CM to fix this?
CM won't fix that. Install Better Battery Stats or Wakelock Detector to nail down the precise problem. If you're using them, it could be Exchange Services or Google Drive (yeah, that turkey wakelocked me to oblivion!), at which point you at least know what to attack.

You can find BB on XDA here and WakeLock Detector on XDA here, both are also in the Play Store.

metaldood

Dec 26, 2010
CM won't fix that. Install Better Battery Stats or Wakelock Detector to nail down the precise problem. If you're using them, it could be Exchange Services or Google Drive (yeah, that turkey wakelocked me to oblivion!), at which point you at least know what to attack.

You can find BB on XDA here and WakeLock Detector on XDA here, both are also in the Play Store.

Google search with 23 mins of wake time and Gmail with 6 mins.

Currently Deep sleep is 14 hr 26 mins. Total time is 17h 5m. Awake is 2h 39m. Screen on time - 27mins.

Last edited:

rkial

Nov 25, 2012
I added the google now widget a couple of weeks back and that caused some wakelocks and overnight battery drain. Removed it and didn't have the problem.

The battery life is pretty good for me. Was out a lot, so had wifi off for large parts.. watched videos (from device), read some books, played some Asphalt (not much.. around 30 mins) and some browsing/mails..
Got 11 hrs screen on over 2.5 days and still have 15% left.
Yeah was indoors so the brightness was never over a third (~30%) and reading books really doesnt drain much battery(especially if its at night and you turn the brightness further down)..

I'm not saying people will get 10+hrs screen on with their device and usage constantly.. 8hrs would be realistic.. but the point is, the battery is a lot better than I had originally expected.

stuartv

May 30, 2012
I ran a wakelock tracker and noticed that Exchange Services has it awake about half the time.

I have this same problem - except my GTP is 100% stock, unrooted. I can go into Settings/Battery to see that Exchange Services is chewing my battery. It will die in less than 24 hours, even if I don't use it - as long as it has a WiFi connection. I think if I turn off WiFi, it will stop attempting to sync and the battery will last "normally". I don't know for sure, though, as I haven't tried. I'm not interested in a tablet with no network connection or even without my email.

I'm going to cut a VERY long story short (at least, here) and say that I have spent several hours logging the ActiveSync traffic between my tab and my server, poring over the logs, and I have identified the problem. It's one particular item that is failing to sync, which causes the tablet to retry the sync every 1 second. The sync failure causes the server to log an internal server exception every time - despite the ActiveSync requests from the tablet being correct. I also found a Microsoft KB article that appears to address this exact problem, and MS has a hotfix available for it.

I have talked to Tech Support at my hosted Exchange provider and they have confirmed with their operations staff that my server does not have the MS patch that is referenced in the KB article installed. Unfortunately, they are giving me a bit of the runaround on installing it. I only have one mailbox hosted with them, so I have no pull. They sound like Verizon. "We have to thoroughly test this update in our lab before we can install it on your server." And "nobody else has reported this problem and we can't put too much time into a problem that only one user is experiencing."

So, I am now just waiting for them to install it on my Exchange server and see if it really does fix the problem for me. If it does, I will be posting about it on XDA and the AC forums, as a Google search showed me that a lot of people, with a lot of different Android devices, have this same problem and nobody seems to know what's really going on or how to fix it. I will try to remember to post back in the GTP General subforum specifically, too, so stay tuned.

Nov 20, 2012
My battery life seems to be getting better as the battery gets some more charges on it.

Sounds basic / silly, but i simply put mine in battery saver mode and that made a big difference with little effect on performance

Top Liked Posts