Apk Manager 4.9 - Makes Modifying Ur Apk A Breeze (Windows/Linux)

Do you find the latest beta functional ?

• Yes

Votes: 1,105 74.6%
  • No

Votes: 376 25.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Daneshm90

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 1, 2009
Well it doesn't zipalign if i keep it in the default folder (...moding). And I didn't even try to zipalign at first, just extract, optimize, zip, choose system and than try to push it to the phone but no luck.
It does this for the 3 apps I mentioned. And it sucks cause after theming if I use 0 compression they are more than twice the size they were before (same when I did this with WinRar, only store worked) :(
There has to be a compression that works, just not sure which one it is :) Cheers!

K can u elaborate on "but no luck"

Do u get fc ? Can u do adb logcat and see wht the reason for the fc are ?

Fyi, any compression should work. Thats not the cause of ur problem, something else is. Can u also post ur log.txt ? Thnx

igor_anta

May 22, 2010
Skopje
Sorry for being vague :( i'll explain all the steps now.
I'm theming a lot of my system apps and I noticed that the sizes are quite bigger after i repack them using store in WinRar.
I found out about you program and used to unpack theme and compress all of the apps, and aside from the 3 that I mentioned (Phone, Settings and Contacts) all the others work (Vending, Mms, Music, Calendar, FileMenager, GenieWidget).
For all of the apps I use the same steps:
1.Put the apk in the place-apk-here-for-modding folder.
2.Extract, optimize, zip (steps 1 through 3, using the system option for zipping)
3.Put the apps in a update.zip and push them to my phone.
So the three apps that don't work get all messed up, FC on open, the icons are the system android icons so it obviously doesn't recognize them, phone unusable cause of the Phone.apk.
If i do everything the same but repack these three apps with store compression in WinRar they work :S
I'll post the log for Contacts.apk in a minute.
Thanks for everything, again aside from these problematic apps what you've done is amazing.

tseidel

Apr 9, 2009
ok so this may be me just making a ss of myself but i cant decompile an apk
the log file gives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|Mon 08/09/2010 -- 10:34:06.04|
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Unable to access jarfile apktool.jar

could someone please help me with this ?

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
Here's my log.txt. To be honest I don't quite understand it :D

ok so this may be me just making a ss of myself but i cant decompile an apk
the log file gives

|Mon 08/09/2010 -- 10:34:06.04|
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Unable to access jarfile apktool.jar

could someone please help me with this ?

For both of u, it seems it cannot find certain files. For igor its zipalign and for tseidel its apktool hence u can't decompile. Can u check the "other" folder and see if the files are present. Also try extracting apk manager to a different location, im wondering if its a windows security issue. Are u on vista/xp/7 ?

Im on 7 and i can perform all the tasks.

igor_anta

May 22, 2010
Skopje
They are. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit by the way.
The thing is that it works for all the other apps. I don't zipalign any of them, just steps 1, 2, 3. Same for the ones causing me problems. And it's always the same choices since they're all system apps.

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
They are. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit by the way.
The thing is that it works for all the other apps. I don't zipalign any of them, just steps 1, 2, 3. Same for the ones causing me problems. And it's always the same choices since they're all system apps.

K can u do this. Follow the same procedure as u did for the other system apps. Just try it on one of them so say Contacts.apk

Once done, go start -> cmd -> adb logcat

Now adb push the apk to ur phone and see what it complains about in the log. It should give u a clue as to why it force-closes.

igor_anta

May 22, 2010
Skopje
Never used logcat so please explain a bit. I opened logcat in DDMS and pushed the file in cmd. The file got pushed I got a truckload of FC's but logcat is empty :S How do i do this?

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
Never used logcat so please explain a bit. I opened logcat in DDMS and pushed the file in cmd. The file got pushed I got a truckload of FC's but logcat is empty :S How do i do this?

Oh

go start -> cmd -> adb logcat

u shud see a bunch of text but then it'll stop scrolling.

Now push ur modified apk and u'll see it scroll some more. I need the new bit

igor_anta

May 22, 2010
Skopje
So I have a problem with logcat then :( I enter the full path to my android-sdk-windows\tools directory right?
Enter adb logcat and it just stops there, does nothing and i can't do anything in this window. Maybe something should be enabled first? I do have access to adb push and other commands as well, it's just this one that seems to choke.

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
So I have a problem with logcat then :( I enter the full path to my android-sdk-windows\tools directory right?
Enter adb logcat and it just stops there, does nothing and i can't do anything in this window. Maybe something should be enabled first? I do have access to adb push and other commands as well, it's just this one that seems to choke.

Hmm wierd. Anyway can u do this through apk manager :

1. Insert original Contacts.apk
2. Extract
3. Zip (Choose System)
4. Select push to /system

Does the app give u fc ?

igor_anta

May 22, 2010
Skopje
Cant's adb push through APK Manager. Log says:
"adb" is not recognized as an external or internal command, operable program or batch file.

I guess it's something with me. I follow the 3 steps and after that I get Contacts.apk and repackaged-unsigned.apk in the ... modding folder. Then just press 8, write /system/app/Contacts.apk, is this correct?
If so I will try to do something with logcat cause it's a problem on my end obviously. Thanks.

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
Cant's adb push through APK Manager. Log says:
"adb" is not recognized as an external or internal command, operable program or batch file.

I guess it's something with me. I follow the 3 steps and after that I get Contacts.apk and repackaged-unsigned.apk in the ... modding folder. Then just press 8, write /system/app/Contacts.apk, is this correct?
If so I will try to do something with logcat cause it's a problem on my end obviously. Thanks.

Well normally if u go start -> cmd -> adb

do u see 'adb' not found ? if so u need adb in ur path. Google it ;)

But yes ur modified apk if its system should be repackaged-unsigned.apk

igor_anta

May 22, 2010
Skopje
OK, now it does adb push (it was added to my system path, but it was all wrong). But again it's the same, pushed it through APK Manager and FC's all the way. Logcat is till being a d*%k :D

igor_anta

May 22, 2010
Skopje
Downloaded, this is all I get:

Log Collector version: 1.1.0
Device model: Pulse
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Kernel version: 2.6.29-perf
huawei@huawei-desktop )
#3 PREEMPT Thu Jul 1 01:06:13 HKT 2010
Build number: FLB-Mod 1.3

No other data, I also pushed an apk that doesn't cause FC's in order to try this immediately after but still the same. It seems my phone dislikes logs? :)

Last edited:

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
Downloaded, this is all I get:

Log Collector version: 1.1.0
Device model: Pulse
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Kernel version: 2.6.29-perf
huawei@huawei-desktop )
#3 PREEMPT Thu Jul 1 01:06:13 HKT 2010
Build number: FLB-Mod 1.3

No other data, I also pushed an apk that doesn't cause FC's in order to try this immediately after but still the same. It seems my phone dislikes logs? :)

Wow tht is just wierd lol. Has it always been like this ? Rom specific problems ?

tseidel

Apr 9, 2009
For both of u, it seems it cannot find certain files. For igor its zipalign and for tseidel its apktool hence u can't decompile. Can u check the "other" folder and see if the files are present. Also try extracting apk manager to a different location, im wondering if its a windows security issue. Are u on vista/xp/7 ?

Im on 7 and i can perform all the tasks.

ok i will try unzipping it somewhere else i have windows xp but i dont have a folder labeled "other" where would it be ?

Daneshm90

Jun 1, 2009
ok i will try unzipping it somewhere else i have windows xp but i dont have a folder labeled "other" where would it be ?

Theres ur problem. It shud be in the zip u download. In the same directory as the script and folders like "place-apk-here-for-modding".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So i have written a simple script to ease the process of editing apks. Got a lot of downloads so thought its in demand :rolleyes:

Whether you're doing basic image editing or editing the smali or xml files, on average u have to use (Brut.all or JF's smali/baksmali) awesome tool to extract the apk, edit it, then sign the apk and then adb push/install it. This process is quite tiresome if you are testing a method that needs fine tweaking.

This script should make the process a LOT smoother.
    Theres an option of compiling/signing/installing all in one step :)

Goes to Brut.all for his awesome tool.
    Goes to JF for ofcourse, smali/baksmali
    Goes to farmatito for porting this script to linux

Features:
    - Extract, Zip apk's.
    - Optimize pngs (ignores .9.pngs)
    - Zipalign apks
    - Sign apks
    - Push to specific location on phone
    - Incorporates brut.all's apktool
    - Pull apk from phone into modding environment.
    - Batch optimize apk (Zipalign,optipng,or both)
    - Quick sign an apk (Batch mode supported)
    - Batch Ogg optimization
    - Compression level selector (monitor status above menu)
    - Batch install apk from script (option 16)
    - Logging on/off has been removed. Instead a log.txt is created which logs the activities of the script organized using time/date headers
    - User can change the max java heap size (only use if certain large apks get stuck when decompiling/compiling apks) (Option 19)
    - Improved syntax of questions/answers
    - Error detection. Checks if error occured anytime u perform a task, and reports it
    - Read log (Option 20)
    - U can now set this script as ur default application for apks. When u do, if u double click any apk it will install it for u.
    - Supports batch installation, so if u drag multiple apks into the script (not while its running) it will install them all for u. U can ofcourse drag a single apk as well
    - Added framework dependent decompiling (For non propietary rom apks). (Option 10). Checks whether the dependee apk u selected is correct.
    - Allows multiple projects to be modified, switch to and from.
    - Allows to modify system apk's using apktool but ensures maximum compatibility in terms of signature / manifest.xml
    - Stuff i forgot i guess :p

Instructions (Windows):
    - Place apk in appropriate folder (Any filename will work, if running for first time folders will not be there, you must run and then the folders will be created)
    - Run script
    - Minimize the script
    - Edit files inside the project folder
    - Maximize the script

Instructions (Linux):
    - Place apk in appropriate folder (Any filename will work, if running for first time folders will not be there, you must run and then the folders will be created)
    - Open terminal and change-directory to apkmanager (Easiest way is to type "cd ")
    - Chmod 755 Script.sh
    - Chmod 755 all files apps inside other folder (thanks for the tip bkmo ;) )
    - Run script by typing ./Script.sh
    - Minimize the script
    - Edit files inside the out folder
    - Maximize the script

Requirements:
    Java
    Adb

Future Improvements:
    - Manage multiple simultaneous apk edits (choose which apk to extract/build)
    - Option to optimize the apks
    - Option to adb push to user defined location
    - Other stuff i dont know yet

Got problems ?

1. Make sure your path has no spaces
    2. Your filename has no wierd characters
    3. Java/adb are in your path
    4. It's not a proprietary rom's apk (aka Sense,Motorola,Samsung) (If u are, then use option 11 and drag the required framework, eg com.htc.resources, twframework-res...etc)
    5. It's not a themed apk (if it is, expect .9 png errors, use as close to stock as possible)
    6. Look at the log to know whats happening
    7. If all else fails, post as much info as possible and we will try to assist you.

MOD EDIT:
    New DL link from this post
    http://apkmultitool.com
    Hi Download link dont work is there anything you can do to upload some other website or mirrior plzzz.:confused:

New website http://apkmultitool.com
    No lol i have windows 7, java is just not in ur path.

Right click my computer, click properties, advanced settings, environment variables, in bottom window scroll to PATH click and edit it, at the end add ;<path to ur bin folder of java>

so mine looks like
    c:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Droid Explorer\SDK\tools;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\
    For people having the:

The program sox is missing or is not in your PATH,
    please install it or fix your PATH variable

problem on linux, here's the fix:

open Ubuntu Software Center and search "sox" without the quotes

install it

problem solved. If OP wants to update, it'll help a LOT of people out ;)