[DEV] Hardware observations

Search This thread

Speeddymon

Jan 17, 2010
There is no antenna connection, thus there will never be FM tuning. Ever. Forget that you even have a chip that "supports" it, lest it keep bugging you.

I would love to see a link that documents this in a teardown thread somewhere.

I dont recall seeing it in the one the NCdevs did

Sent from my NOOKcolor using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Post here about anything you might have found out about the internal NookColor hardware.

Here's one to start with:

Look at dmesg under Android. The wireless driver is TIWLAN, and a little Googling correlates the line "Chip ID is 0x4030111" with a WL1271, a TI part with 802.11b/g/n, bluetooth, and FM. However, as far as I can tell Bluetooth isn't anywhere to be seen in the Nook ROM.

This document shows the typical setup for the WL1271, which is for WiFi to connect to the host through SDIO (one of the SD/SDIO/MMC interfaces) and Bluetooth and FM to go through a UART.
    Agreed, Bluetooth FTW. We could be one kernal injection away from BT!
    Update on poking in the dark for bluetooth driver.

So far I have compile the kernel using B&N release with bluetooth support and drop that kernel into the NC, it boot up but seem to be sluggish. However, even when the support for bluetooth is there but the hardware not available.

This lead to me from the new firmware.bin from Ti site into /system/etc/wifi to see if the NC will activate bluetooth hw from the firmware. the firmware is not working with NC, maybe the wireless tool that come with the NC customized for that specific NC firmware.bin Need to get more generic tools for activate wifi and BT

I have extract the raw internal disk and will overlay the kernel over that with tweek in rc.init to change the boot from internal drive to SD and will try again.

In one of the setting file in NC they do specify the BT control script to be /system/lib/firmware which follow the same guideline that Ti have. I have comb through the config file on NC and did not see any explicit setting that disable bluetooth, in fact they leave all those file default.
    Actually, the droid incredible does not have n support. Check out the verizon page for it. The support evidently cannot be handled through a firmware update. If the hardware is not there, aka. the peripherals that handle the high speed communications, then software cannot do anything for it. I think.

Wow.... aside from not being relevant, you are also wrong.
    http://phandroid.com/2010/06/20/fcc...oid-incredible-froyo-could-be-on-the-horizon/
    http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/279459-did-inc-ever-get-802-11n.html

And finally, i AM an incredible owner, and can connect as an N device on my router...