Vodafone Treo 750 and lost sound

Search This thread

artisticcheese

Aug 26, 2003
www.unixsucks.com
Hi,

I bought my wife Treo 750 (from Vodafone) on eBay couple of days ago. I myself have Wizard device so familiar with firmware updates etc.
My wife started complaining almost immediately about inability to set custom ring to MP3 file which she configured (all incoming calls were coming with default sound regardless of phone settings).
Now couple of days later phone does not react at all to any remindeds be it incoming phone calls or alarm. It does not vibrate, sound or flash on any of the events.
Is it known issue? What could be wrong? Is it worth trying to flash ROM or it's not worth it?

luminus

Aug 16, 2006
Antwerpen
first, is the top switch set to silent? if then the boxes for vibrate aren't set, then your treo doesn't give any sound so far i know.
second, In sound and settings the two boxes for vibrate when swith on or off should be checked.
Be sure that all sound settings are set correct, then you could try a hard reset if other options don't work.

ptan218

May 17, 2005
I had the same problem. Call up Palm Service Center, follow the standard diagnostic steps:

1. Check the ringer switch.

2. Check the TTY settings to ensure it is off.

3. Check all volume to ensure that it is all max.

I have all the above set correctly. The best part is, the CS told me to hard-reset the phone. I told her that I have already done it and that the problem will occurs after using the phone for a few hours. Apparently, the ringing will be ok if I do a soft-reset. But after using for a while, the problem will appears and I will have to soft-reset again.

Last resort, CS issued me a SRO and told me to go down to the service center to do a 1-to-1 replacement. The new rom is TREO750-1.16-VFE and firmware is 1.12c

artisticcheese

Aug 26, 2003
www.unixsucks.com
I had the same problem. Call up Palm Service Center, follow the standard diagnostic steps:

1. Check the ringer switch.

2. Check the TTY settings to ensure it is off.

3. Check all volume to ensure that it is all max.

I have all the above set correctly. The best part is, the CS told me to hard-reset the phone. I told her that I have already done it and that the problem will occurs after using the phone for a few hours. Apparently, the ringing will be ok if I do a soft-reset. But after using for a while, the problem will appears and I will have to soft-reset again.

Last resort, CS issued me a SRO and told me to go down to the service center to do a 1-to-1 replacement. The new rom is TREO750-1.16-VFE and firmware is 1.12c

I bought phone off eBay and it's looks like European model while I'm in US I don't think I can call Palm with this options.

ptan218

May 17, 2005
I bought phone off eBay and it's looks like European model while I'm in US I don't think I can call Palm with this options.
I bought mine from ebay too, and I am currently residing in Singapore. I believe that as long as the original owner did not register his phone, you are still consider the legitimate "first" owner. The best part is, they just verbally ask you when was the phone purchased; you do not even need to produce the proof of purchase. :D

bnycastro

@artisticcheese:

couple more questions to diagnose your problem.

1. what software does your wife use? spb pplus has been known to mess with the treos notifications system [there is a fix at spb]
2. where are the ringtones located and how were they added to the phone.

for #2. the Treo seems to be iffy if you don't add the tones using the Sounds app, also I'm sure you know that ringtones in Storage cards tend to be less dependable than the ones in Main memory cause sometimes Storage cards initialize too slow and the system reverts to default tones instead.
----
my suggestion
back up your wife's data [PIM info]
hard reset - add tones using sounds - observe
if problems insist try to have the unit replaced
if problems don't then it's probably software issue.

artisticcheese

Aug 26, 2003
www.unixsucks.com
Sounds which are being set are built-in sounds. We hard-reset phone and did not install any additional software, then tried to change sounds via built-in menu. Nothing extra installed on a phone.

bnycastro

Sounds which are being set are built-in sounds. We hard-reset phone and did not install any additional software, then tried to change sounds via built-in menu. Nothing extra installed on a phone.
Damn I was hoping it would be a software issue, but it might be hardware after all. I hope you can have the unit repaired/replaced ASAP. Good luck and go with the FORCE.