I do not believe a Note with a good screen exists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Hirudin

Feb 8, 2011
Please prove me wrong!

Anyone have any links to videos showing a Note rendering dark grays correctly?

Inuit

Jan 3, 2007
Pfffff. Tests with Samsung handselected devices. Or do you think that Samsung will send defectiv devices to the testers?

Sarius24

Apr 11, 2011
The note I got from bell has no screen issues at all.

Sent from my SGH-I717M using xda premium

TML1504

Nov 24, 2007
Vienna

you can see down to one in gammatest??
no black clipping??
no banding??
and: no dark blotches on a complete black picture in a dark room? (you have to see whole screen lightly lit (amoled cant go completely black), and let your eyes accommodate to the darkness!

Reactions: avetny

Sarius24

Apr 11, 2011
no black clipping??
no banding??
and: no dark blotches on a complete black picture in a dark room? (you have to see whole screen lightly lit (amoled cant go completely black), and let your eyes accommodate to the darkness!

I dunno looks find like all my other phones.

MrDSL

Nov 17, 2006
I honestly havent went out of my way to find any issues with the screen.

The videos I have watched all look awesome..I did notice on some dark images there was some banding or whatever its called but thats all I can tell..

I'm not that great with colors so I may not notice as much but it looks great to me so far.

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
www.processmapping.com.au
no black clipping??
no banding??

Mine is fine with some tweaks. Primarily -40% contrast. I can see down to '2' on that test image. I also notice little or no blotchiness in dark videos any more, although I did before adjustment.

It's a software issue IMO.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Please prove me wrong!

Anyone have any links to videos showing a Note rendering dark grays correctly?

I share the same sentiment as no one with a 'perfect screen' has shared it. The best I've seen is one w/o any black clipping what so ever since his gamma test result is similar to a Galaxy S2 but I do see a few visible horizontal lines on a grey screen. Its not perfect but its with in specifications aside from the lines.

Mod Edit: Quote removed.

To the unwise it may seem incorrect since they are only looking at the smaller picture and dont really have a clue on what this 'objective' test is for, let me give a real life example:

Using the Kindle application for reading ebooks gives you the option to use a black background now some screens have very visible blotches even if there is a text on the screen and they are become unoticeable when there is a text above them, this of course matters to someone who reads ebooks in their bedrooms w/o any external light source or to someone who watches movies like me. You see if we ask someone to open kindle and load up something and do this and do that, it makes the 'testing' more subjective rather than just test it in a pitch black room with a black image displayed.

These tests may sound silly to others but its the best way to get an objective result, remember people theres a difference between 'its not there' and 'i dont notice it with normal usage'.

here is an example that hopefully may enlighten you people with self proclaimed perfect screens so you may understand why its so difficult for others to accept such screen exists because with several replacements they havent seen one yet and people always claim that defects are the extreme minority, if its true then no one should need more than 2 replacements to get these perfect screens, correct?

It is also common for others to be dismissive of any screen related issues, you can be dismissive all you want provided you show an objective result. till then your screen is just as flawed as everyone else.

Attachments

• circles.jpg
    circles.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 492
Last edited by a moderator:

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Mod Warning

XDA Developers is about free exchange of information, everybody has there own opinion. Calling each other names is not acceptable, if you are unable to respond in a polite manner, then please dont post! This is the only warning you will get!

I have cleaned the thread!​

Last edited:

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
here is an example that hopefully may enlighten you people with self proclaimed perfect screens

Are those dark rings one of the issues that everyone is complaining about? If so, I'll have to look at my unit, but I suppose I've just been extremely lucky. I have yet to notice any issues. That's not to say there aren't any issues with my device (possibly), if I look really hard, in very specific conditions :p

gamedok

Aug 7, 2010
Davao City
gamedok.blogspot.com
I do not have any black blotches or whatever.

One of the issue I have is the gray screen. It has somesort of texture on it but it's tolerable since it looks like a texturized wallpaper. No problems with playing videos at all, everything looks crisp and clear. So far I am enjoying it.

Also, another issue is the camera. When I am around those long florescent lights, there seems to be some wavy things on my screen. Even on video. I guess I got to avoid those lights in taking pictures. Haha.

EarlZ

Jun 21, 2010
Are those dark rings one of the issues that everyone is complaining about? If so, I'll have to look at my unit, but I suppose I've just been extremely lucky. I have yet to notice any issues. That's not to say there aren't any issues with my device (possibly), if I look really hard, in very specific conditions :p

That Image i used came from the Tab7.7 forums which shows the issue and practical scenario at the same time. Its an example of the darker blotches in blacks, not really the main issue on the Galaxy Note but one of the many possible yet rare issue.

On my end, my first screen had some blotches but they were not visible when I watch a movie or read an ebook from the kindle app, the 2nd screen I had did have a home button sized like blotch at the bottom which was visible when reading ebooks unless a text is close to it, in movies/shows it is only visible when the entire screen goes black.

Last edited:

madbird

Nov 14, 2005
Hamburg, what else? :)
Using the Kindle application for reading ebooks gives you the option to use a black background now some screens have very visible blotches even if there is a text on the screen and they are become unoticeable when there is a text above them, this of course matters to someone who reads ebooks in their bedrooms w/o any external light source or to someone who watches movies like me. You see if we ask someone to open kindle and load up something and do this and do that, it makes the 'testing' more subjective rather than just test it in a pitch black room with a black image displayed.

after seeing your picture, i want to test my note. i use a small chamber without a window and close the door, so its absolute dark in there. i take a picture from the screen of my note while using kindle with background set to black. i use my lumix dmc-fx01 digicam to take the picture. am i just lucky with the screen of my note, or did i something worng while testing?

Attachments

• P1000012-kindle-in-the-dark.jpg
    P1000012-kindle-in-the-dark.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 373

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
That Image i used came from the Tab7.7 forums which shows the issue and practical scenario at the same time. Its an example of the darker blotches in blacks, not really the main issue on the Galaxy Note but one of the many possible yet rare issue.

On my end, my first screen had some blotches but they were not visible when I watch a movie or read an ebook from the kindle app, the 2nd screen I had did have a home button sized like blotch at the bottom which was visible when reading ebooks unless a text is close to it, in movies/shows it is only visible when the entire screen goes black.

Once again, I guess I have been extremely lucky with both my Note and my 7.7, because I have yet to notice any of these issues with either :p

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
Black clipping and banding = software. Therefore, irrelevant from a hardware perspective.

The splotches that you see in the most dark of conditions are the artifacts of the manufacturing process. Under normal 0% brightness (without using additional apps like screen adjuster) you will not be able to see these things assuming you've got a good screen.

The only things you need to look out for is color unevenness and brightness unevenness and in some cases, the manufacturing process is so prominent that it seeps into the normal brightness (0% and up range) and it is visible.

The fastest way to tell if there is something wrong is to turn off all auto-lcd power management, set the brightness to 0%, and to simply pull down the notification menu and view it in a dark place. That'll reveal most of the problems that you might find in a day to day situation. If you see nothing there and the screen looks crisp, don't bother looking for more. They will not appear in normal real-world situations.

Reactions: TML1504

Blue1k

Feb 8, 2008
No blotches on mine. Very happy with the quality. The color profile seems nicer than on my i9100. The only screen I had with noticeable blotches (only seen at full darkness) was on my T989.

So ya, very happy with my Note's screen. White International N7000

intruda119

Mar 12, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
The witch hunt started with the original sgs and continues with the note.

Im on my second note plus a screen replacement and screens are flawless. Yes there is somme banding on all of amoled screens. Its partially software because running ics alpha build, most of the banding is gone.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Incorrect. AMOLED displays do turn the pixels off. Even Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED ) confirms this: "Because the black pixels actually turn off, AMOLED also has contrast ratios that are significantly better than LCD. "

sorry (no flame), but YOU are definitely incorrect!
    some ("pulsing" in terms of PWM) amoleds are able to show completely dark pixels, but the point is: our note screen isn't of that type. it's not pulsing (not even on a very high freq) and regulation of "brightness" is done by altering the power of the (sub-)pixel.

however, if the display controller goes on the screen goes into standby, and all pixels emit a tiny amount light, even if they are set at 0 (in terms of 0-255)! this counts for all pixels of the array, so it is not possible to shutdown single pixels to emit 0 light!

try it for your own: there are a few possibilities for displaying a complete black picture. even at shutdown of the phone you have a few seconds until the already black screen goes completely black (=real turn off)!
    then you have to be in an almost dark room, let your eyes accomodate a minute and then look at the screen. you will see a) that it still emits light, and that there are dark lines and/or "blotches". go and see for yourself!

no black clipping??
    no banding??
    Black clipping and banding = software. Therefore, irrelevant from a hardware perspective.

The splotches that you see in the most dark of conditions are the artifacts of the manufacturing process. Under normal 0% brightness (without using additional apps like screen adjuster) you will not be able to see these things assuming you've got a good screen.

The only things you need to look out for is color unevenness and brightness unevenness and in some cases, the manufacturing process is so prominent that it seeps into the normal brightness (0% and up range) and it is visible.

The fastest way to tell if there is something wrong is to turn off all auto-lcd power management, set the brightness to 0%, and to simply pull down the notification menu and view it in a dark place. That'll reveal most of the problems that you might find in a day to day situation. If you see nothing there and the screen looks crisp, don't bother looking for more. They will not appear in normal real-world situations.
    1) The S-pen does not scratch the screen. I have used it every day since it's release in November

2) You have 4 posts and you joined this month. I highly doubt you even own a note, you probably just came here to troll.

3) Learn Grammar. I lost IQ from reading: "its own spen scratch the "good" screen"

4) Reported for being a troll.

I posted a warning a few posts back here Dont worry i will act when necessary;)
    Ah, I just tried with the Iron Man 2 sample video and when they kiss you can see the upper background fading completely to black and leaving a somewhat clear line between the black and the grey.

Well, I see this as a non-issue, though. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Besides it's perfectly understandable, too, as it's an OLED display; the underlying leds are turned completely off with no backlight whatsoever when they're black, whereas on a regular display there is always a backlight on even in black areas. That's why it looks so different. Turn brightness up until black areas are grey instead, not black anymore, and the problem goes away. Or live with it.

If thats the only thing you see then either you have a good screen or viewing it with too much ambient light that all you see are reflections, here are some pics on what you will see ( more or less ) when viewing it w/o ambient lights.

Scene4_clipping.jpg

Scene3_clipping.jpg

Scene2_clipping.jpg

Scene2_clipping.jpg

Incorrect. AMOLED displays do turn the pixels off. Even Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED ) confirms this: "Because the black pixels actually turn off, AMOLED also has contrast ratios that are significantly better than LCD. "

SuperAMOLED in off state produces a faint glow, it does not go into no power-off-state like when you lock the screen. The Galaxy Note has an obviously more lit black as compared to the previous generation SAMOLED screens.