[App][OSX/Windows] Wire 4 AirDroid

Search This thread

cyansmoker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
While working on that project, I read someone's complaint that AirDroid does not work over a USB cable. I know, that's kind of what the app's name would imply, right?

Anyway, AirDroid is awesome.
There are advantages to using AirDroid over a USB connection: for instance, it's much faster than a wireless connection and your data doesn't travel over your wireless network, and that's obviously safer.

So, I created this couple very basic tray/menu apps: one for OS X, one for Windows. Maybe one for Linux is your ask for it.

All it does it make AirDroid work over the USB cable.

Note that you will need to enable USB debugging on your device. Furthermore, on Windows, you will need to install your manufacturer's USB drivers.

attachment.php

Get your free app at http://nexus.zteo.com/projects/beta/

Cheers,
-Chris.

Attachments

• Fullscreen-8.jpg
    Fullscreen-8.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 8,773
Last edited:

Bierfreund

Jun 30, 2010
Nice, because I'm also not able to connect my private mobile to my corporate WLAN...
Using AirDroid ober BLuetooth ist not possible? That would be the best for me!

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Nice, because I'm also not able to connect my private mobile to my corporate WLAN...
Using AirDroid ober BLuetooth ist not possible? That would be the best for me!

Unfortunately, Bluetooth connections are very slow. I guess, with a rooted phone, it would be possible to install a network driver but again it would likely be extremely slow.

HTCore

Dec 12, 2004
LA
Very nice idea. I can't make it running. The app works and it's in my taskbar but the browser can't open it. Is there any instruction how to run it? any options should I check in AirDroid?

strtkempo

Nov 17, 2009
Dfw
I love airdroid! Use it daily any kind of take on this app is cool with me!
Thanx button pushed:p

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda premium

S1cK94

Dec 4, 2011
Very nice idea. I can't make it running. The app works and it's in my taskbar but the browser can't open it. Is there any instruction how to run it? any options should I check in AirDroid?

same problem here.
I've got usb debugging active and when I tap "start" on airdroid it asks me if I want to connect throught wifi or usb thetering.
I thought usb thetering must be active too, and when I switch it on, your application ask me to unplug and replug the phone, but nothing happens.
running windows 7 64bit professional with usb drivers for nexus s (i9023) working (even adb drivers).
any tip?

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
This has stop running since the new update of airdroid. Can you fix this problem.?

Victore88, thank you. Your post made me realize what's happening: indeed, recent versions of AirDroid stopped working over USB.

I sniffed AirDroid connections and no new port is being used, so I suspect AD stops listening on its local port after logging you in.

I sent an email to AirDroid's support; we will see if they can help.

Cheers

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
Cool idea, but as I understand it, perhaps a little misguided in the approach.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your target is work/school computers, right? I mean, for your home computer, why not just use WiFi? It's easier, which is why AirDroid went that way. But you want USB access for those computers where you can't get on the WiFi network, and/or you don't trust the air for security purposes.

I think you should make a browser extension for both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. This way, people can use it with Firefox Portable and Chrome Portable from PortableApps.com and similar sites. If a browser extension can't access the system like that (I'm sure they can: both browsers have some kind of IE extension where they put IE's engine in one or more tabs) maybe a standalone portable app, either in PortableApps' open standard or in old-school single-.exe format (maybe with a .ini in the same directory).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While working on that project, I read someone's complaint that AirDroid does not work over a USB cable. I know, that's kind of what the app's name would imply, right?

Anyway, AirDroid is awesome.
    There are advantages to using AirDroid over a USB connection: for instance, it's much faster than a wireless connection and your data doesn't travel over your wireless network, and that's obviously safer.

So, I created this couple very basic tray/menu apps: one for OS X, one for Windows. Maybe one for Linux is your ask for it.

All it does it make AirDroid work over the USB cable.

Note that you will need to enable USB debugging on your device. Furthermore, on Windows, you will need to install your manufacturer's USB drivers.

attachment.php

Get your free app at http://nexus.zteo.com/projects/beta/

Cheers,
    -Chris.