Charger or PC USB

Search This thread

NiCk.JaY

Nov 23, 2012
I may be wrong, but I think wall charger provides more power than USB or car dock

Sent from my Desire HD using xda app-developers app

dinkydarko

Aug 22, 2010
London
I've read many times that using USB, you battery might last longer than using the wall charger. I've never noticed this...
USB seems a bit slower than the wall charger but other than that seems the same.

paul c

Nov 15, 2006
Madrid
Install Battery Monitor Widget, and you will see how much current each option gives at different levels of charge.

To be exact, the device DRAWS current, it's not a question of the highest output being the best. If the device can't receive more juice, the additional output cannot be used.

When the battery is nearly empty you will see the biggest current draw - as the charge gets closer to 100%, the amount the device draws drops, until it reaches 0mAh on full charge.

My OEM wall charger provides up to 1000mAh, and the PC USB provides 500mAh, you will initially charge the device faster with the wall charger, until the current drawn by the device drops beneath 500mAh - after which point they will charge equally fast.

That, in the case of my phone (with a Mugen 1500mAh battery) happens around the 60% charge mark. So if the charger outputs are as mentioned above, you wouldn't see any difference in the rate of charging after 60%

Last edited:

tommy_xuyijun

Jun 9, 2011
HTC wall charger can output 1A with data pin short-circuit. PC USB can output 500~600ma or 1A on some laptop but no data pin short-circuit.

Fast charge mode is 900mA. It is on when data-pin short-circuit is detected OR on a fast-charge enabled ROM (or say, kernel).
Otherwise, it only pull 500ma.

Use your battery in your way. Charge it when you like. DHD can replace battery.

snowy2012

Jan 7, 2013
Stating the obvious BUT, of course, you can access your phones storage when connected to PC via USB for charging!

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Also, be careful of using unpowered USB hubs - there may not be sufficient power on the port to charge effectively.

lolmachine

Mar 12, 2013
Cologne
A wallcharger will always push more amps to the phone.
Don't get confused by people telling you, that wallcharging will damage your battery! That's just not true.
Every phone has an inbuild unit, that controls the amps going to the battery.

ILA

Sep 14, 2012
Charger outputs more power and therefore it charges faster. Some kernels have the option called "fast charge" which allow you phone to drain more power from the PC and allow it to charge almost as fast as via charger. You can not access files while connected to the PC if the "fast charge" option is enabled.

-SmOgER

As already stated above, AC charging is generally faster.
Now many people say that charging by USB will make your phone last longer, but from my personal experience is quite opposite, plus, usb charging is easily interrupted (PC hibernating, stand-by, restarting, etc...). if you are comfortable with both ways (neither PC nor wall outlet too far away), use wall AC.

623baller

Mar 24, 2013
interesting, i noticed charging via AC (wall) gives my dying battery that extra oomph and seems to make my phone last longer in the day

XDA_h3n

Sep 20, 2011
On Earth!
AC charging is faster due to a higher voltage and ma charge rate

USB uses a much more lower voltage and ma charge rate, it is true that USB charging is SLOWER and a myth is that USB charging does make your battery last longer.

On sense 2.1 I noticed my battery last 4 days with low - medium ussage because I only charged with USB but now I charge with AC with medium ussage my battery lasts a day.

With kernel tuner you can add a 4x4 widget which can tell you the voltage and mah raise / drain

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

pauleversham

May 26, 2011
Thủ Dầu Một
As already stated above, AC charging is generally faster.
Now many people say that charging by USB will make your phone last longer, but from my personal experience is quite opposite, plus, usb charging is easily interrupted (PC hibernating, stand-by, restarting, etc...). if you are comfortable with both ways (neither PC nor wall outlet too far away), use wall AC.
+1. I vote AC charging:cowboy:

wex28

Feb 11, 2011
Charging from charger is faster, but charging from USB is more stable, as far as I know...Because it has a balanced voltage all the time. Not sure though. Just heard from somewhere.