VZW N3 KK - Radio Signal SUCKS!

Search This thread

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
This is something that has been bothering me on these boards. The definition of firmware is applied 3 ways and nobody references which way they are using the term.
Firmware seems to mean any or all of these 3 when in most cases it is firmware=bootloader/modem
1. To all of the software as a whole
2. To just the bootloader
3. To just the os, rom, distro of android

Now I have seen you here quite often and know your not a noob when it comes to this but...
  • You upgraded to the nc2 bootloader you would have used odin to do this.
  • you then odin the nc4 bootloader to fix an issue with ss (does not make much sense as you needed to wait for a new version of SS for this to be fixed...work around being reboot the phone then click recovery in the 10 second boot window)
  • you switched modems nothing fixed it
  • you then did a nand restore which would have only restored the /system, /data, /cache partitions not the /boot odin would be required to change that

It seems to me that your other phone had a bad bootloader flash.

i thought my bullet points were actually over the top for information needed but i guess if you didnt actually go through them yourself they are not as clear.

i was on MJE on both original and replacement and followed this with both devices:

If you're on Rooted JB MJE/MJ7:
Code:
[B] 1.[/B] Install [URL="http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/note3/hltevzw/safestrap//Safestrap-HLTEVZW-3.71.apk"]Safestrap v3.71 JB[/URL] (follow [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517610"]Safestrap instructions[/URL])
[B] 2.[/B] Boot into Safestrap & select Stock Slot
[B] 3.[/B] Wipe data/system/cache/dalvik
[B] 4.[/B] Flash the latest [COLOR="Magenta"][B]JasmineROM[/B][/COLOR] release
[B] 5.[/B] Reboot to Download mode from Safestrap
[B] 6.[/B] Extract the updated [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=6366"]firmware[/URL] & flash via Odin3
[B] 7.[/B] Reboot to system (be patient, the first boot may take a long time!)
[B] 8.[/B] Upgrade to [URL="http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/note3/hltevzw/safestrap//Safestrap-HLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk"]Safestrap v3.72 KK[/URL] (follow [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517610"]Safestrap instructions[/URL])
[B] 9.[/B] Reboot to Safestrap & select Stock Slot
[B]10.[/B] Flash [URL="http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=6405"]TogglesEnable[/URL] to enable all toggles (don't wipe anything)
[B]11.[/B] Reboot to system (it'll be a normal boot)
[B]12.[/B] Follow post-installation instructions in [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52860445&postcount=2"]Post #2[/URL]
[B]***[/B] [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Enjoy![/COLOR][/B]

When my original had signal problem i even did THIS to True Factory Reset and followed above again and still had poor reception.

my replacement arrived and again did the exact same thing as above as i had done with my previously PERFECT reception original model however this time the replacement has ZERO issues on NC4 firmware upgrade and in fact is performing better with some data speeds for web surfing.

i did not feel that my original had any issues until KK for the record

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
Has anyone toyed with the idea that it may be a problem inherent to the NC2 Firmware/bootloader file that we flash and that is the reason it never made it to production and they had revision NC4?

From what's been said people on MJE (old firmware) and NC4 official firmware have been fine but people using the NC2 leak are having issues

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

AdamHLG

Jan 6, 2012
I'm on NC4, I am not rooted, and I am definitely NOT fine. In fact, I even did a factory reset and still not fine.

But maybe it's not Kitkat. Maybe it's an issue between the interaction of LTE and XLTE. Remember, Verizon flipped that switch right around Kitkat time. And the Note 3 is one of the very few phones XLTE ready after Kitkat.

Coincidence?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
Surprised there's not more talk about this issue. It all starts after doing the Kitkat OTA and I'm sure the average Joe out there not into tech or phones and just randomly taking OTAs I'm sure is calling Verizon left and right saying their N3 is jacked up now and don't work / wanting replacements

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

AdamHLG

Jan 6, 2012
The reality is were screwed until the Note 4 is released.

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
The reality is were screwed until the Note 4 is released.

it would be interesting to discover what is affecting the phones that have issues. as i posted above on NC4 my release day N3 was almost unusable and then my replacement is now all NC4 (except bootloader) and the reception is better then when it was new.

coincidentally i have several buddies with the N3 that are not root or anything and they have no issues with signal at all on NC4.

if my replacement didnt fix my problem i was going to have to get the S5 until the N4 came out.

humdrum2009

Account currently disabled
Oct 3, 2010
Hi everyone

im having issues as well,rooted or not most verizon note 3 phones suffered after kit kat.
My wife no longer gets 4 g at work when before everything was fine.
i go to her job and get 4g on my n3 with no problem im rooted she isnt.
My signal is crappy at home hers is fine what is going on with the once mighty Verizon signal with our phones.
Call verizon they are having higher call volume than usual every day may be the entire network is doomed to go down any minute now.:cyclops:

I left SPRINT because of this stuff now its followed to verizon something weird is happening maybe
some kind of interference from an agency that will go unamed lol.

AdamHLG

Jan 6, 2012
I'm going to order a replacement phone after vacation next week. Seems like some folks ie the above poster have no issues with a full replacement. In the meantime I'm trying that setting to change 'mobile network' from global to lte/CDMA and so far I got to admit it seems to have fixed it... Unless it's my imagination. I'll know later as I need to travel through some kit Kat dead zones that were never dead before kit Kat. I'll post later tonight.

RicoX9

May 4, 2011
Auburn, AL
The wife and I have issues that seem to validate the Global vs LTE/CDMA settings. I have signal in the house, though not as good as it was pre-NC2/NC4. She took the NC4 OTA, and has zero signal in the house. I installed rooted NC2 leak. Mine is set LTE/CDMA, hers is Global. I had her switch to LTE this morning. I'll report back after she's had some time using it to see if there's a difference.

donc113

Jul 27, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Just wanted to say I'm in the same boat. Since updating my signal has been abysmal and it's killing my battery. I even got a new Sim card, no change. These radios really suck.

It's not the radios, it's using band 4 that makes the difference in signal and power used. Band 4 (AWS) is 3 times higer in frequency than band 13 and thus uses much more power and is not nearly as good at working inside a building or in the rain, etc.

It's simply the nature of radio frequencies.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

LexusBrian400

Mar 22, 2010
It's not the radios, it's using band 4 that makes the difference in signal and power used. Band 4 (AWS) is 3 times higer in frequency than band 13 and thus uses much more power and is not nearly as good at working inside a building or in the rain, etc.

It's simply the nature of radio frequencies.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk
nope, I have that band turned off since it's not even active in my area.

Reactions: R_Andersen

AdamHLG

Jan 6, 2012
Follow up... The global / LTE setting did not work for me. Getting cannot connect to network at times while I have 4 bars. Wierd. Switched it back. Last step.... Getting replacement phone.

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
Follow up... The global / LTE setting did not work for me. Getting cannot connect to network at times while I have 4 bars. Wierd. Switched it back. Last step.... Getting replacement phone.

that did not work for me either but replacement did so hoping that works for you.

i have to imagine Sammy has to see the increase in replacement N3's

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
^ of course they do. For every one of us that reports an issue you know there is 10 Becky, Jane, and Freds out there in the world that don't know what root is, just take an OTA and walk into Verizon saying it broke

humdrum2009

Account currently disabled
Oct 3, 2010
Got my replacement phone yesterday. Made a huge difference with radio reception.
People can actually hear me when I talk.
3 bars where I got 1 bar with old phone. Replacement came with MJE. ROOTED and everything is fine so far.

recDNA

Aug 24, 2011
This type of problem is why I stuck with Hyperdrive 7 and do not plan to update. I wonder if H7 (with I assume mje radio?) will get xlte reception? How can you tell if on lte or xlte?

Sent from my Hyperdriven Note 3

changt34x

Sep 1, 2013
I went into the store today to check the reception as the Note 3 is unusable at my GF's new workplace while iPhone 5S works. There was another Note 3 owner in with the same problem. My device was at -96 dbm, his was at -103 so they replaced his with a refurb. Both store models were at -96 like mine.

Though not scientific, I compared some other devices in the store. The numbers in parenthesis are my Note 3 at the same location as the store device.

JB iPhone 5S -89 (-96)
One M8 -90 (-96)
Droid MAXX -81 (-94)
S4 -94 (-94)
The kicker: S5 -104 (-91)

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
this is not a solution but thought i would post what happened to me.

• had N3 since launch and no signal issues
  • upgraded to KK Stock NC2 leak and had no signal issues
  • upgraded to NC4 firmware to fix reboot issue for recovery etc.. and HAD signal issues - BAD "No mobile Network" where it used to work perfectly
  • tried MJE Radio switched back and forth and all over and had signal issues still
  • tried a full NAND restore and complete factory reset and still had signal issues
  • ordered a replacement that came with MJE and NO signal issues - worked like it was working on release date
  • upgraded to NC4 Jasmine rom and did the NC4 firmware upgrade again - worried i would have same results but NO signal issue
  • now can switch to any KK rom with my NC4 and NO signal issue

i can not explain why the NC4 upgrade killed my release date N3 signal and the replacement N3 has no issues but something has to be related to me getting a newer device is all i can guess

So I see that you tried the MJE baseband, but did you ever try to re-flash the MJE base to see if your service was improved like before? I'm trying to understand if people are saying that upgrading to Kit Kat causes permanent damage somehow that reverting can't fix?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried everything as well and had no luck till I turned off the Band 4 AWS. I've been running it for a half day and see much better signals and my SMS go out right away.

Follow this, but instead disable the band.

Google search for "Enable Band 4 AWS note 4"
    I've been on the MJE radio. You can find the MJE modem tar in the Verizon Note 3 Android Development section, the post is by BeansTown106.

Regardless of what people say about modems and signal, etc.. NC2 and NC4 were subpar for me. MJE is stable and I get excellent signal and data speeds.
    I've had the same issue. I'm currently on JasmineROM1.5
    Here's what I did and it fixed the issue for me. Go to Settings/more settings/mobile networks/network mode. Mine said Global. Change it to what I have in the pic. Reboot. Mine is good to go now.
    utusapeq.jpg

Wassup? No not too late.... I turned on airplane mode just now.... the download had not finished.

follow the intructions in the OP here. that was bad info you got!

that keeps you on leaked NC2 bootloader so you can possibly enjoy very cool future development but get all the recent update advantages

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

even if you dont use that rom just replace Jasmine rom with whatever you are using but do those steps.
    I replaced my phone and now I have good reception.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    How many hoops to jump through ? Contemplating getting it replaced , just worried about getting an NC4 phone after all the hassle.