Wifi wont stay on

Search This thread

daemorok

Aug 23, 2009
Philadelphia PA
When I go into the settings to enable wifi I get the following messages back to back, either one can show up first:

"unable to save the network"
"unable to scan networks"

When this started the phone was not rooted.

I rooted the phone in an attempt to fix this.
I deleted /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf after backing it up.

This fix was suggested in the EVO forum, however it did not work for me, also the wpa_supplicant.conf was not recreated, and I was under the impression that it would be.

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it without doing a factory reset?

Last edited:

mikey98277

May 3, 2009
Jamestown
When I go into the settings to enable wifi I get the following messages back to back, either one can show up first:

"unable to save the network"
"unable to scan networks"

When this started the phone was not rooted.

I rooted the phone in an attempt to fix this.
I deleted /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf after backing it up.

This fix was suggested in the EVO forum, however it did not work for me, also the wpa_supplicant.conf was not recreated, and I was under the impression that it would be.

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it without doing a factory reset?

Now that you are rooted, i would say do a nandroid backup, then do a factory reset to see if that fixes your issue, if not, then you have a backup to restore to incase it does not work, if it does, then your good to go, if not restore and you are no worse off.

koreanjhee

Feb 3, 2010
Jacksonville
oh jeez i'm glad this thread is here. I have the exact same problem now. I don't remember anything significant enough to screw up the wifi, but I did use XBMC and Allshare as a trial run and it worked fine and I was amazed.
The next day the wifi is gone and 'unable to scan networks' gets on.

Can somebody help with this issue?

I will nandroid back soon and see how it goes down.

mikey98277

May 3, 2009
Jamestown
How do you do a NANDROID backup? Using Koush's recovery image? I saw initial unstability issues so didn't bother with it. I'm still hoping to see Amon Ra's recovery.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=734164

that is a link to the how to, just follow the first post, once you have clockwork recovery installed do a nandroid back up through ROM Manager,(if that is the koush recovery you said you had your set, just install the app) try a factory reset after backup and see if that fixes your problem, if it does then your set, if it does not fix it, then you can always do a restore and it will put your phone right back to how you had it when you did the back up.

Just ensure that you dont partition your sdcard with the rom manager, it will wipe your whole phone internal sdcard, not the external one, you should have no reason to do this anyways, just wanted to let you know not to try for fun. as it is not one of the steps to backup or restore anyways.

Last edited:

merophosis

Dec 5, 2009
I had the same problem and found that the problem seems to stem from Allshare. I used it briefly and disconnected from WiFi, later that night, I enabled WiFi and had this problem. Today I opened Allshare and it prompted me to turn on WiFi, I was redirected to the WiFi menu and attempted to turn it on again. Of course it failed the first time, but I repeated this process of opening Allshare and pressing "Back" when it tried to redirect me to the WiFi menu. Doing this two or three times somehow managed to get my WiFi finally to recognize and now it all works. I would say, that if anyone is to run into this issue, I think it's Allshare related. This is what I did to fix it, hope it helps.

koreanjhee

Feb 3, 2010
Jacksonville
None of that works. Does any developers or anyone with some experience have any advice or fixes? Much appreciated.

Sent from my Vibrant, Samsung

merophosis

Dec 5, 2009
None of that works. Does any developers or anyone with some experience have any advice or fixes? Much appreciated.

Sent from my Vibrant, Samsung

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Allshare or XBMC. I think it has something to do with the phone having to scan a network for other devices to obtain indexes. When I was messing with allshare, I disabled the wifi in the middle of the phone attempting to scan my network for my media servers. That's the only thing I did, so it's the only thing that could have caused my issue. When I opened allshare again it asked me to enable wifi, I received the error a couple of more times then after a few times it fixed itself, which led me to believe that it was allshare that caused the issue to begin with. I'm hoping that samsung is aware of this bug.

KerryG

Jul 21, 2010
Orange County
cameradojo.com
Same issue, first time I restored a Nandroid backup to get things rolling again. This time I was testing a new DLNA server at home with AllShare, since then Wifi wont stay on. I have sent a message to Samsung support about it. Rebooting doesn't seem to help, not sure how to do a workaround.

Best thing is to go into AllShare, make sure Wifi is on, wait a few seconds and then go to home screen. Usually after a few tries the Wifi setting will stick.

merophosis

Dec 5, 2009
Like I said, all I did was to try and go in and out of Allshare back and forth between the Wifi application and enabling/disabling Wifi. After a few tries, it magically enabled successfully and worked. I wish I had a better fix or better advice, but all I can say is that I just had Wifi disabled, attempted to launch Allshare, Allshare told me to enable Wifi, so it automatically took me to the Wifi settings menu, I enabled it, received the error, went back to allshare, it sent me to settings again, I enabled wifi again and immediately pressed back to get back into Allshare, at which point I just bounced back and forth between the two, hitting back immediately to get back into Allshare, and somehow Wifi worked. This leads me to believe that Allshare didn't finish "something" with wifi, so interrupting Allshare in the middle of a network scan is bad.

jon6206

May 12, 2009
Galveston
already returned one unit to tmobile because of this issue a couple weeks ago had no idea it was related to allshare. makes sense i was using it to try to stream to my xbox the day before

jimrogers1212

Feb 24, 2006
Fixed for me

So I had the same problem. Not with allshare, never use it. Just randomly stopped working. Anyway, follow the link below, it fixed the problem. It does require root and editing the conf file rather than deleting it. I had a missing } from the end of one of my entries for some reason. I removed all of the saved ssid's and put in the missing } to the end of the t-mobile entry and no more problem!

I can't post links so change the below hxxp to http

hxxp://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-781656.html

tgerbracht

Jan 15, 2008
I'm rooted, deleting that file worked fine for me and it was recreated (the one early in the thread)

johndillinger1932

Dec 12, 2012
Somerdale
none of the "fixes" posted work. im bone stock, running eclair. same wifi errors as the op. The phone is to be used as a wifi only device, since the sim is not active. is there a real fix for this?