Time to give credit to Samsung.

Search This thread
N

ninrocket2

I have to say I have tried EVERY ROM on the SGH-T989 and can say none are as stable and have the battery life to match the stock ROM.

I tried Darkside today. It is a clean ROM. Close to stock. I had two complete lockups on the phone that required battery removal in about a 6 hour period. I am not overclocking at all. The ROM has an underclock by default.

I just think it's time to give Samsung and the programmers there a thumbs up for doing such a great job on this phone.

It would be nice if they could release more of the header and source so the developers here could have a better chance of getting a stable ROM built...but until that happens I will just stay with a rooted and stock ROM.

Peace.

chlehqls

Jun 18, 2011
Toledo, OH
I've had no lockups or any problems in the 150 hour uptime I had with Juggernaut 5.0 with 009m faux's kernel.

Battery life is much better as well. Dropping down to 80% after 1 hour of display time.

Reactions: stondec
N

ninrocket2

I've had no lockups or any problems in the 150 hour uptime I had with Juggernaut 5.0 with 009m faux's kernel.

Battery life is much better as well. Dropping down to 80% after 1 hour of display time.

I was on the stock ROM for 6 hours yesterday. Surfing, playing games, wifi enabled. Used a bit over 30% from a full charge.

I jumped right into custom ROM's when I got this phone. After going back to stock is when I realized how much the custom ROM's actually degrade the phone.

I have ran Jugg's 4.x with Faux kernel and Bullet kernels. Bullet was faster by a good bit. Battery sucker from hell though.

Do these phones really need the overclocks and tweaks? After going back to stock my opinion is no.

Peace.

jordanishere

Sep 13, 2011
You probably didnt follow the directions when installing any of the roms you tried.

If companies like samsung were as awesome as you say they are, would XDA exist at all in the 1st place?

Enjoy your bloatware.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

djxcee

Oct 2, 2010
I was on the stock ROM for 6 hours yesterday. Surfing, playing games, wifi enabled. Used a bit over 30% from a full charge.

I jumped right into custom ROM's when I got this phone. After going back to stock is when I realized how much the custom ROM's actually degrade the phone.

I have ran Jugg's 4.x with Faux kernel and Bullet kernels. Bullet was faster by a good bit. Battery sucker from hell though.

Do these phones really need the overclocks and tweaks? After going back to stock my opinion is no.

Peace.
Battery proof? Heres mine with Darkside:

http://db.tt/Dndk1SLW
http://db.tt/qxYSJxJv
http://db.tt/AydX5Jxx

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Last edited:
N

ninrocket2

Me being the analytical type....and to just keep this topic fact filled and useful will create a test bed to compare the 'popular' roms versus stock.

I will create a post in the next week to share the results.

Peace.

jordanishere

Sep 13, 2011
Me being the analytical type....and to just keep this topic fact filled and useful will create a test bed to compare the 'popular' roms versus stock.

I will create a post in the next week to share the results.

Peace.

Theres already a thread for that:

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524569

Reactions: Xhyperion
N

ninrocket2

You probably didnt follow the directions when installing any of the roms you tried.

If companies like samsung were as awesome as you say they are, would XDA exist at all in the 1st place?

Enjoy your bloatware.

Keep it civil and to the point. Don't attack my character by implying that I don't know how to follow directions and flash a ROM. I have been a member on XDA since the first year....much longer than you.

I don't have a problem with bloatware. I use a stock ROOTED ROM and remove the bloatware. Very easy to test and then delete bloatware using Titanium Backup.

XDA got it's start back when the CPU and chipsets on phones were very slow. Over time the new phones have become handheld computers. The processing speed is much faster.

In the beginning the OS's were in the infantile stages as well. They have all improved dramatically.

I remember when a flash on something like the HTC Tytan made a huge difference. You were getting the GPS and FM Radio Unlocked. The bloatware was removed in the ROM(Windows based...no ROOT access). It made a huge difference in the performance of the phone and unlocked a lot of features.

This isn't the case with the new phones. There really is nothing being added to the ROM's that can't be added via the market or removed using Titanium Backup.

What I have seen with every ROM is intermittent lockups that require battery removal and excessive battery consumption probably from the aggressive timings that aren't necessary.

Peace.

prech

Feb 10, 2011
Keep it civil and to the point. Don't attack my character by implying that I don't know how to follow directions and flash a ROM. I have been a member on XDA since the first year....much longer than you.

I don't have a problem with bloatware. I use a stock ROOTED ROM and remove the bloatware. Very easy to test and then delete bloatware using Titanium Backup.

XDA got it's start back when the CPU and chipsets on phones were very slow. Over time the new phones have become handheld computers. The processing speed is much faster.

In the beginning the OS's were in the infantile stages as well. They have all improved dramatically.

I remember when a flash on something like the HTC Tytan made a huge difference. You were getting the GPS and FM Radio Unlocked. The bloatware was removed in the ROM(Windows based...no ROOT access). It made a huge difference in the performance of the phone and unlocked a lot of features.

This isn't the case with the new phones. There really is nothing being added to the ROM's that can't be added via the market or removed using Titanium Backup.

What I have seen with every ROM is intermittent lockups that require battery removal and excessive battery consumption probably from the aggressive timings that aren't necessary.

Peace.
I look forward to your battery testing!

Please include multiple kernels as you test various ROMs, especially faux and Synergy

And perhaps install Juice Defender as a best case.

Personally I haven't experienced any lockups with the two custom T989 ROMs I've tested, but have benefited from the improved battery life dramatically. I'd still love to see a more controlled experiment, however.

N

ninrocket2

Theres already a thread for that:

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1524569

Read it. It is basically a generic thread. No stats or true testing methods just some user comments.

I want to actually test the phone in real life conditions. Watch some vids, talk on the phone, skype/gtalk/YM video call...etc. Actually run consecutive tests across the best ROMS and stock and see how they match up.

Benchmarking is a bit ridiculous....in several aspects.
If a game runs 30 fps or greater...you won't see the difference.
If a game runs a stable 30 fps versus a ROM that peaks at 50 but valleys at 15....you will definitely see the difference.
If a ROM runs 50 fps versus 30 and both are stable...you won't see the difference. The question then is which one uses less battery. The obvious answer is the one running 30fps. Less frames means less redraws and less CPU and GPU.

I just want to once an for all be able to definitively say what each ROM is really doing to the phone with graphs.

Not hard to do. Just takes a real world test model and some time. I think I can test one ROM a day. I will test the most popular ROM's....Juggs, Beast, Darkside, Bombardier, Gingersnap, etc... I have tested them all. I know which ones are legit and which ones aren't.

Peace

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011

Peace.

Agree 100%

Nothing has performed better than stock 2.3.6, rooted and debloated.

Sent from my T989 hunting for Siri Connor

zander21510

Jan 10, 2012
Dallas
OnePlus 8
Sony Xperia 1 V
I run Juggernaut 5, ADW launcher, AOSP ICS themed, with Darkside's latest kernel (extracted it from Darkside ROM pakage), and I've had amazing battery life, OC'd to 1.83ghz with ondemand governor.

And IMO Touchwiz is ugly, samsung tries too hard to make all their stuff look like the iPhone. They do a crappy job of it and it ends up being a dissapointment.

I think any small degradation of battery life is worth the noticable boost in snappiness and cosmetics of the phone. I personally couldn't stand the stock phone, as soon as I could I flashed something different.

Reactions: Neverglow

2hvy4grvty

Nov 2, 2011
I run Juggernaut 5, ADW launcher, AOSP ICS themed, with Darkside's latest kernel (extracted it from Darkside ROM pakage), and I've had amazing battery life, OC'd to 1.83ghz with ondemand governor.

And IMO Touchwiz is ugly, samsung tries too hard to make all their stuff look like the iPhone. They do a crappy job of it and it ends up being a dissapointment.

I think any small degradation of battery life is worth the noticable boost in snappiness and cosmetics of the phone. I personally couldn't stand the stock phone, as soon as I could I flashed something different.

Strictly aesthetics can be achieved through the use of different launchers/lockscreens. The point of ROMs/Kernels need to be more than aesthetics. Hence, "some" of the ROMs offered [strictly speaking] are a pretty big disappointment because they're nothing more than themed stuff baked in and offer no real functionality.

I'm REALLY interested in a controlled experiment of battery claims of different ROMs/kernels. Preferably all at stock speeds.

Last edited:
N

ninrocket2

Battery proof? Heres mine with Darkside:

http://db.tt/Dndk1SLW
http://db.tt/qxYSJxJv
http://db.tt/AydX5Jxx

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Sorry but there is absolutely NO proof in these pictures.

I can see that your phone was on battery for a bit over 1 day.

I can also see that 45% of your phones battery usage was the display...and that the display was on for a bit over 7 hours.

What I don't know is what was your screen brightness set at?

Does the display percentage represent JUST the LED power for the screen or does it also include the GPU/CPU driving the display?

Where are the numbers for the stock ROM?

Those numbers mean nothing when you don't have a standardized test bed and procedure.

Peace.

N

ninrocket2

You can use a home launcher on the stock debloated ROM and get the same results with more stability and better battery life.

I recommend you check DXHOME out to see a smooth launcher.

Peace.

2hvy4grvty

Nov 2, 2011
Sorry but there is absolutely NO proof in these pictures.

I can see that your phone was on battery for a bit over 1 day.

I can also see that 45% of your phones battery usage was the display...and that the display was on for a bit over 7 hours.

What I don't know is what was your screen brightness set at?

Does the display percentage represent JUST the LED power for the screen or does it also include the GPU/CPU driving the display?

Where are the numbers for the stock ROM?

Those numbers mean nothing when you don't have a standardized test bed and procedure.

Peace.

Actually, unless that test was completely skewed (e.g. screen on displaying black screen), 7 hours of screen on time + 20 odd hours of standby time with use of radios/connectivity is very very impressive.

N

ninrocket2

Strictly aesthetics can be achieved through the use of different launchers/lockscreens. The point of ROMs/Kernels need to be more than aesthetics. Hence, "some" of the ROMs offered [strictly speaking] are a pretty big disappointment because they're nothing more than themed stuff baked in and offer no real functionality.

I'm REALLY interested in a controlled experiment of battery claims of different ROMs/kernels. Preferably all at stock speeds.

I agree with your first paragraph 100% and will get the experiment underway with Stock speeds.

Peace.

N

ninrocket2

Actually, unless that test was completely skewed (e.g. screen on displaying black screen), 7 hours of screen on time + 20 odd hours of standby time with use of radios/connectivity is very very impressive.

When you can refer us to pictures of a base ROM with the same parameters and settings for comparison then I might say it is impressive. But with no base ROM data it is purely speculation.

Peace.

RaverX3X

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 13, 2011
Cali
enjoy the drm laden ciq enabled features... That cannot be removed by titanium unless it can magically decompile recompile frameworks on the fly...

Enjoy the Memeroy leaked jobsmanager....

Anyways now thats oout of the way

How much time did you spend between stock firmwares and custom firmwares?

Did you fully wipe the device before flashing and after

Did you do dirty nanoid restores?

A little more info woud be helpfull

at the end of the day if you enjoy stock more great for you.... Use it n move on...

Still missing the point of this thread on a dev website unless you like being trolled.

Reactions: djpingpong

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cool story bro
    posts like this are not necessary because see Samsung employees are getting paid our Devs are not.

Some of you fellas are a little over-sensitive. I've modded every one of my Android phones because the stock ROMs sucked. But this phone's stock ROM does not suck. I didn't think stock ROMs would ever be good enough to keep me from wanting to replace it with some modded ROM, but this one is. No ROM is perfect, not even your coveted modded ROM. So try not to take offense when someone constructively offers to gather some real performance data to further the art instead of relying on fanboy testimonials.

Enjoy your bloatware.

That's on multiple recharges... not really an accurate measure.