i dont believe g2x has 850mhz UMTS HSPA

Search This thread

ko0l

Dec 3, 2008
Have you tried disabling 2g and force the phone to connect only to the 3g (wcdma) network? I think its in one of the data connection settings. I have a Vodafone sim that will always connect to edge for some reason unless I tell it to connect to 3g only. (This is in australia on my N1.)

Its worth a try.

Edit: looks like you already tried it. Are there any 2100mhz 3g networks in canada? If there is have you tried putting a sim from a company that supports the 2100mhz band to see if that connects to 3g?

Last edited:

nomisunrider

Feb 25, 2011
Minnesota

UCFJake

Dec 21, 2010
Savannah
According to this teardown of an O2X (slightly different model, I know) it has an Infineon X-Gold XG616 baseband

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/...gra-2-review-the-first-dual-core-smartphone/9

The X-Gold 616 only supports up to 7.2 down according to Intel's site . If T-Mobile's specs are correct with 14.4 then it's got to be something else. Although T-Mobile's official site specs don't specify which.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

UCFJake

Dec 21, 2010
Savannah
Looking at NexVision's first shots from the LGE manual it does show only 7.2. That's a bit disappointing if true.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

NexVision

May 10, 2005
It is 14.4 says it in a few places couldn't find any other references for 850 though.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Have you tried disabling 2g and force the phone to connect only to the 3g (wcdma) network? I think its in one of the data connection settings. I have a Vodafone sim that will always connect to edge for some reason unless I tell it to connect to 3g only. (This is in australia on my N1.)

Its worth a try.

Edit: looks like you already tried it. Are there any 2100mhz 3g networks in canada? If there is have you tried putting a sim from a company that supports the 2100mhz band to see if that connects to 3g?

We don't have the 2100 band but the OP did report it works on Mobilicity which is AWS 3g like T-mobile.

Sent from my Nook Color!

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
This has been stated several times in this thread and seems to be the case:

The phone can indeed support 850/1900 however it seems that T-Mobile intentionally disabled these two frequencies so people wont use their exclusive phone on AT&T unless the merger happens. I am sure that the frequencies can be enabled of the correct baseband be obtained and flashed onto the phone.

Heuser1

Apr 19, 2011
I was all excited when my friend told me she would be going to the US this week because I was going to have her pick this phone up for me today. Well launch day is here and now I have no idea if i'll be able to use this phones 3g with my network in the Dominican Republic. Had been willing to over look the unlocking situation cause i knew I would figure that out sooner or later, but this network thing is killing me. Back to square one for me unless we have some revelation of sorts this morning.

compuguy1088

Jun 17, 2010
NoVA
www.compuguy1088.com
Picking mine up at lunch, gonna request an unlock code online once I get off work... Throw the AT&T sim in, and report back my 3g findings...

Thanks for doing this. This was the only reason that I was wanting to get this phone. If I cannot unlock the phone and use it on 3g on at&t, then it is not worth it (I already have a t-mobile phone that works on at&t and one that works on edge).

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
This has been stated several times in this thread and seems to be the case:

The phone can indeed support 850/1900 however it seems that T-Mobile intentionally disabled these two frequencies so people wont use their exclusive phone on AT&T unless the merger happens. I am sure that the frequencies can be enabled of the correct baseband be obtained and flashed onto the phone.

If this is true, I'm not sure where one would find such base band files. The O2x hasn't yet been released for any carriers with 850/1900. Unless someone gets a leak direct from LG.

Sent from my Nook Color!

02busa

Jul 29, 2010
Madison, MS
Thanks for doing this. This was the only reason that I was wanting to get this phone. If I cannot unlock the phone and use it on 3g on at&t, then it is not worth it (I already have a t-mobile phone that works on at&t and one that works on edge).

No prob, I'm in the same situation you are.. Either way, I can sell it and get my money back if it doesn't pan out..

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

Reactions: compuguy1088

vannessfuc

Jul 18, 2008
Hidden menu => band selection

ok i got mine G2x today at 10AM PST, and waiting for the unlock code to use on ATT, if you want to access the band selection menu follow this,
First download LauncherPro
-
Long press on home screen
-Select Shortcuts
-Select Activities
-Scroll down to and expand com.lge.hiddenmenu
-Select HiddenMenu (first entry)
-Enter Shortcut name
-Click on shortcut to launch
You are now in the hiddenmenu!!
within there select "Modem Setting"
then Wah La!! Band Selection
Try it OP!! :D

02busa

Jul 29, 2010
Madison, MS
ok i got mine G2x today at 10AM PST, and waiting for the unlock code to use on ATT, if you want to access the band selection menu follow this,
First download LauncherPro
-
Long press on home screen
-Select Shortcuts
-Select Activities
-Scroll down to and expand com.lge.hiddenmenu
-Select HiddenMenu (first entry)
-Enter Shortcut name
-Click on shortcut to launch
You are now in the hiddenmenu!!
within there select "Modem Setting"
then Wah La!! Band Selection
Try it OP!! :D

I'll definately try it if it doesn't work from the start..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sure there's a mod.

The first step is to plug it into craigslist. Make sure you have a reasonable price installed. Ensure that when you meet with the buyer, you take the money and your SIM with you before logging out. Then you will have to install the money somewhere that can sell you a compatible phone. Finally you'll have to put your SIM in the new phone and turn it on.

And voila, you've modded your phone ;-)

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using Tapatalk 2

Another mod would be to strap it to a phone which works on a network it doesn't work on. A further mod would be to put a brick of vanilla ice-cream between the two phones to have Ice Cream Sandwich.
    Wheres the tmobile 1700 band on there?

It's called AWS.
    i live in metro. I will be interested to take a look. call

I would remove your number from public view. Just send him a PM with it.
    Picking mine up at lunch, gonna request an unlock code online once I get off work... Throw the AT&T sim in, and report back my 3g findings...

No prob, I'm in the same situation you are.. Either way, I can sell it and get my money back if it doesn't pan out..