[HOWTO] Disable ALL camera sound AND possible fix for battery drain

Search This thread

kohiiou

Nov 11, 2010
HOWTO: Disable Camera Sound (completely silent)

Without deleting anything. :p

Edit: As pointed out by nickbarbs, after you have completed one of the below methods, the Camera sound is controlled via "System Sounds". If you turn up, down, or off the "System Sounds", the Camera sound would be changed respectively.

This means that you can now control the camera sound at will via volume control functions. :)

METHOD 1
1. Create a file called "local.prop" in /data/ if it doesn't exist. Example: "/data/local.prop"
2. Open the file "/data/local.prop"
3. add the line to the file:

Code:
ro.camera.sound.forced=0

4. Reboot and all sound in the camera app is completely silent.
5. To recover the sound, you can either delete the local.prop file or change the code to:

Code:
ro.camera.sound.forced=1

METHOD 2: ADB
1. unrar the attached file "local.prop.rar"
2. copy the "local.prop" file to your ADB folder
3. ADB push local.prop /data/local.prop
4. Reboot phone.
5. To restore sound, just delete local.prop and reboot

-----

POSSIBLE BATTERY DRAIN FIX

In addition, for those who are having huge battery drains from Android OS, I also had it. On original KDD firmware, no problem at all, but after updating to KE2 with KIES, I had it all afternoon. I did a hard reset, and the battery drain seemed to go away, but I can neither guarantee or give a 100% confirmation (considering the fact that the Android OS battery usage is based on %, so if I constantly use the phone, Display goes up to 54% and Android OS drops to 10%)

Did a hard reboot by the following method:
WARNING: Will delete apps and all data; phone will boot like new phone.
1. Make sure phone is root first if you want root, and both SU and BUSYBOX installed
2. Shut down phone
3. Hold on the "UP" and "HOME" key, and press the "POWER" button for 2-3 seconds to turn on the phone (make sure to release the "POWER" key after the phone turns on, but continue holding "UP" and "HOME")
4. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and then "wipe cache partition" to remove both.
5. "Reboot system"
6. Once phone has rebooted, Root stays if properly installed, and phone starts off like new.
7. I have been using the phone since for 7 hours now, and seems better.

Attachments

• local.prop.rar
    100 bytes · Views: 24,498
Last edited:

kohiiou

Nov 11, 2010
Sorry; I live in Hong Kong and posted it at 2am in the morning and made a typo. It should be:

ro.camera.sound.forced=0

Will correct original post now.

Reactions: victorinoxs

kohiiou

Nov 11, 2010
Still not working... :confused:

Did you reboot your phone? The changes doesn't persist till after a hard reboot.

Make sure it's also in:
/data/local.prop

And not

/data/data/local.prop

Double check to make sure you have it in the right place too and for example NOT in /sdcard/data/local.prop. :)

nickbarbs

Jul 20, 2010
London
YES!! works great for me! not only that - but it follows the setting of you phone therefore

- Phone silenced = NO Camera sound at all (focus OR snap)

-Phone sound on = Camera sound with Focus AND snap

Thanks a lot dude. finally.

cheers
nick

nickbarbs

Jul 20, 2010
London
by the way i extracted your .Rar file to my phone's SD card from my windows machine. Then i copied the file with Root Explorer to /data

= Profit

jarsiv

Aug 17, 2010
Is possible to create tweak which enable digital zoom while recording 1080p video? Yeah, I know it is digital zoom but sometimes it would be usefull. Now zoom is possible only with 720p or less.

netnerd

Dec 4, 2006
ATT California USA

In addition, for those who are having huge battery drains from Android OS, I also had it. On original KDD firmware, no problem at all, but after updating to KE2 with KIES, I had it all afternoon. I did a hard reset, and the battery drain seemed to go away, but I can neither guarantee or give a 100% confirmation (considering the fact that the Android OS battery usage is based on %, so if I constantly use the phone, Display goes up to 54% and Android OS drops to 10%)

it works for me too! on KE1 rom, after 8 hours, battery is at 5%!
after hard reset, after 8 hours, i still have 50% battery left!

sheridan2000

Dec 12, 2009
yep same here hard reset, root still remains, all apps gone, but hey after 9hr used only 25% battery....thanks for the tip....may try the camera trick aswell later...:)

sheridan2000

Dec 12, 2009
Did you reboot your phone? The changes doesn't persist till after a hard reboot.

Make sure it's also in:
/data/local.prop

And not

/data/data/local.prop

Double check to make sure you have it in the right place too and for example NOT in /sdcard/data/local.prop. :)

When you say hard reboot, do you mean reset back to factory settings or turn phone off completely then turn on again??

sckc23

Jun 21, 2010
works like a charm! both focus and snap sound are now disabled on silent mode. thanks=)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HOWTO: Disable Camera Sound (completely silent)

Without deleting anything. :p

Edit: As pointed out by nickbarbs, after you have completed one of the below methods, the Camera sound is controlled via "System Sounds". If you turn up, down, or off the "System Sounds", the Camera sound would be changed respectively.

This means that you can now control the camera sound at will via volume control functions. :)

METHOD 1
    1. Create a file called "local.prop" in /data/ if it doesn't exist. Example: "/data/local.prop"
    2. Open the file "/data/local.prop"
    3. add the line to the file:

Code:
    ro.camera.sound.forced=0

4. Reboot and all sound in the camera app is completely silent.
    5. To recover the sound, you can either delete the local.prop file or change the code to:

Code:
    ro.camera.sound.forced=1

METHOD 2: ADB
    1. unrar the attached file "local.prop.rar"
    2. copy the "local.prop" file to your ADB folder
    3. ADB push local.prop /data/local.prop
    4. Reboot phone.
    5. To restore sound, just delete local.prop and reboot

-----

Did a hard reboot by the following method:
    WARNING: Will delete apps and all data; phone will boot like new phone.
    1. Make sure phone is root first if you want root, and both SU and BUSYBOX installed
    2. Shut down phone
    3. Hold on the "UP" and "HOME" key, and press the "POWER" button for 2-3 seconds to turn on the phone (make sure to release the "POWER" key after the phone turns on, but continue holding "UP" and "HOME")
    4. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and then "wipe cache partition" to remove both.
    5. "Reboot system"
    6. Once phone has rebooted, Root stays if properly installed, and phone starts off like new.
    7. I have been using the phone since for 7 hours now, and seems better.
    Go to /system/media/audio/ui/ and rename following files with a .bak behind:

Cam_Start.ogg
    Cam_Stop.ogg
    camera_click_short.ogg
    camera_click.ogg
    shutter_01.ogg

Now the camera.apk sounds are completely muted.

By creating the build.pro with "ro.camera.sound.forced=0" you will only have no sound for camera.apk when phone sound is also muted. If phone isnt muted you will also got the camera.apk sounds :) So renaming the files up there is the better solution!
    Either method 1 or 2 still not work for me.

But i found a similar way to do a slient as follows:

edit /system/build.prop
    find a line "ro.camera.sound.forced=1" change 1 to 0
    save and exit, reboot
    ^^ I just used root explorer and deleted all the camera audio ogg files from system/audio/ui :p

I also edited the battery charged notification sound in Audacity and dropped it 10dB so I still get the sound but it's much quieter.
    Yes where are the camera audio files located?

Found it: /system/media/audio/ui

and the autofocus sound is here: /system/app/Camera.apk/res/raw/