Must Have App List

Search This thread

AsaSpades

Jun 29, 2008
Hartford, CT
What are some apps that you feel are "must haves," and what do they do? Im trying to get a list going. Here's mine:

-Hello AIM (If you use AIM you know what it does, great interface, I love it, alot better than the one already installed, but is only for AIM)
-Saved MMS (saves MMS)
-OI File Manager (file manager since andriod doesnt have one built in)

What are some other great apps?

mannyb

Dec 31, 2008
aTrackDog - Update all your apps in one sweep. Brilliant.
AndFTP - Full featured FTP client.
AnyCut - Create shortcuts to.. anything.
AppsInstaller - Install apps from your SD card.
OI File Manager - Easy to use file manager.
Toggle Settings - Change settings in a few taps.
Wallpaper Set & Save - Set PNG wallpapers, no more ****ty jpeg compression.
Task Manager for Root Users - List/terminate running processes.
MyBackup - Backup all your apps and settings.
Screenshot - Essential för theme developing.
Solitaire - Waste an hour playing card games.
AccuWeather - Nice weather app, lists my home town unlike most other weather apps.
Last.fm - The official client. Very nice except for a buffering issue at the start of some songs.
PixelPipe - Very nice app for picture sharing/uploading.
QuickPedia - Wiki app.
SnapPhoto - Makes the bland default G1 camera come to life, briliant app. A must have.

Reactions: beyondthecosmos

Ryanmo5

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 20, 2008
Goodyear
Yellowbook - comes in handy if you need number or address
Task Manager - End programs, save battery life
Video Player
Spelldial - quicker way to dial people
sms popup - like sms bubbles for wm shows message and who's sending
screenshot
Shazam - need to find out who sings a song you like? Put up to speaker and it will find name and artist!
Scoreboard - keeps track of sports scores - most sports
Linda and astro file manager - linda lets you download stuff off internet you cant normally download. I like astro so i have both but astro doesnt do download trick.
klaxon - lets you set mp3's as alarm
transition effects - gives your phone cool effects

Last edited:

Lieu10ant

Nov 10, 2008
streamfurous - streaming radio
bonsai blast - fun game
force ring (old version) - puts ur phone on loud if u lose it
gmote - play files from ur computer on ur phone, or use ur phone as a remote for movies. and control the mouse/keyboard movments of the computer via G1
handycalc - brilliant calculator, really advanced
misssed call - gives u missed call notices (and u can change the led color)
playsvideo - great video playing app iwth nice interface
ringdroid - cut out ur own ringtones
chompSMS - improved text message app with onscreen keyboard
snaptell - barcode scanner AND it recognizes pictures (ex. a bluray movie) and will find prices by the picture taken
tunewiki - audio player WITH synced LYRICS!

nolageek

Oct 24, 2007
Washington, DC
queerandloathing.com
K9SMS - not in Market, but it's SO much more responsive than the default Messaging (which it is based on.) Scrolling is 100% smooth, unlke the stock app.
http://brad.livejournal.com/2399905.html

Task Manager for Root - Can see what's running and can kill apps when you're not using them.

ASTRO - Great file manager that also installs nonmarket apps and has a great built-in photo browser.

Twidroid - If you use twitter, you want Twidroid.

PapiJump - It's a stupid, but addictive game.

Shazam - hold it up to a song, it'll tell you who sings it. Amazing. I suspect it's magic though.

The Weather Channel - Good weather app

SnapPhoto - Great replacement for the stock camera app

Klaxon - Good upgrade for the stock alarm clock

ATrackDog - run it to see which of your programs has updates.

ALthough I wouldn't consider them 'must haves' I really like Brightroid (britekite client) and Locale (lets you automate system settings and other functions depending on GPS location... I use it to automatically check in at locations on brightkite)

Sistum Id

Jan 2, 2009
Phoenix
Anycut - Allow to make shortcuts

ASTRO or Linda File Manager - I have both because I'm use to ASTRO but Linda has a plug-in built in so you can download any files from the default browser. ( I dont like Steel)

NetCount or NetTraffic - I'm trying to figure out which one is better because I tether alot so I want to keep an eye on my usage.

PF Voicemail+ - Its alot easier to check my voice messages than anything I've seen before.

Save MMS - Must have to save images from texts, better than having to forward to email and save.

SnapPhoto - Better than default phone app.

aTrackdog - Same as above from what others said.

PixelPipe - I've had a photobucket account for few years now. This app lets you upload pics straight to your account from your G1 alot easier.

Firewallet - UI is the best I've seen for a money managment app. This beats having to use a checkbook or using a scratch paper to see if I can afford something and is easier to check than logging into BOA.

Shopsavvy - Finds better deals than Google it seems sometimes. Good for if you think you've seen a deal at a store.

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I like ChompSMS for the onscreen Keyboard, tho it doesn' support mms yet :(

MYBookmarks is great - it allows you to easily redo your bookmarks if like me you like top regularly clear the data from Browser. - I was put off thinking I'd have to export ALL my IE bookmarks (Ive got loads!!) but then I realised I could prepare a little folder just for my G1 bookmarks on my PC Ie, and then just export THAT folder. Works brill for me and makes up for not having Opera Sync on the browser.

Another vote for Task Manager - worth getting rooted just fort being able to use this app :)

Cubik is a decent tetris clone, and I have two solitaires, one has a greart auto bit that flies the cards to the piles automatically, and another that has a score system

PicSay is one of my favourite ever mobile apps - lets you pop bits onto MMS pics like captions, thought bubbles and other bits n pieces!!

Night Clock is grand - I put it on overnight, as I've no clock by my bed - Huge digital clock display with a built in alarm tht can tag songs in your music folder as the alarm sound.

And another vote for these apps - Astro, WallpaperSetnSave, TheWeatherChannel, Power Manager, and finally Dark keys, which allows you to turn the Keyboard backlight off with one touch (for those with White G1 as it's sometimes hard to see in certain lights)

Regards - Daisy xxx

Ryanmo5

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 20, 2008
Goodyear
As far as paid apps go i recommend...

Tetris
WordSearch - If your into word search puzzles
Bejeweled - kinda hard to use finger with but fun as usual

Stay away from video conversion paid apps, the audio on all available so far lag behind the video about 6 seconds or so.

haitiankid4lyf

May 25, 2008
Astro is by far the best file manager, it has application manager, select all copy paste, shortcut to any file on home screen, built in picture viewer, and loads of other feature. it doesn't have linda's download plug in but theres an app called download crutch and i think it would work
Visual Voice maillove this app, you can delete messages with out listening instead of calling and pressing 7...7...7...7
MyBackupbeautiful backup tool especially for those who dont have root and nandroid

some others are:
The Weather Channel i think it better than weather bug just my opinion
Steel Browser
Chomp SMS wish it could do MMS
fIRC can keep in touch with #android
launchpad if you use more than 6apps

Some more:
mycollection
phonebook
snapphoto
screenshot
twidroid
unzip
translate
tts service/translator

Last but not least Screencrack to keep away annoying friends :D

punkweakling

Dec 9, 2008
AnyCut – a MUST HAVE app
Accuweather – weather report for today + 3days, and sat view
AK Notepad – export to txt, email, sms etc
NetCounter – monitor GPRS and Wifi in sessions and/or total
RingDroid – edit and resave MP3s for ringtones, excellent app
Twidroid – tiwtter app, thought I'd give it a go LOL
Video Player – pretty good, autorotate etc
WikiMobile – mobile optimised Wikipedia search
Astro – must have – GREAT file manager.
SMS Popup – must have – popup notifications for SMS/MMS
Netcounter update is great, it's finicky to use at first
Locale – insanely good, I just set it so that it syncd with meetings in my calendar to automatically apply silent mode and turn vibration off.
Toggle Settings – LOTS of setting toggles and deeply configurable.
Txtract – back up SMSs to html, csv, or txt
SMS Backup – insanely good, back up your SMSs over the air to your gmail account, tags them with "SMS" (or label of your choice) bypasses the inbox straight into archive, and puts all SMSs in conversation view. Perfection.
Wallpaper Set and Save – must have – avoid that ****ty system jpg compression and save highres wall papers (make sure your images are 640x480).
EnKeep – passworded txt files. I keep alarms codes etc in there
TextEdit – ok txt editor and reader
Bookmark 2 – set any bookmark (default browser only) as a shortcut and apply an icon – bummer it doesn't work with Steel
Steel – browser with autorotate and on screen keyboard
Klaxon – way deeper function for your alarm clock
Dial Favs – ok link to contact favs. Needs more options
Greed – RSS reader with Google Reader integration, buggy though
MyMaps Editor – integration with My Maps on Google Maps

Last edited:

vr24

Nov 29, 2007
I think aTrackDog is rather useless now - in the market, select "my downloads" and the market will tell you if updates for apps are available.

tracky is getting axed.

cyricc

Aug 1, 2008
Terminal Emulator: duh.
ASTRO: when filemanaging with the terminal is too tedious
Power Manager: autoadjust settings based on battery life. Doesn't do 2G/3G switching though
Some weather app: weather channel, accuweather, weatherbug, moxier world... pick one
Ringdroid: make custom ringtones
Astrid: best todo/tasks app out there
Tunewiki: use this instead of the default music player
AK Notepad or Sticky: good note apps. AK goes the traditional list route while sticky goes for graphical post-it note style
ChompSMS: onscreen keyboard
Wallpaper Set and Save or Weekly Wallpaper: only ways to get high-resolution wallpapers. WSS if you want to make your own, WW if you're too lazy to.
Missed call: blinks LED color of your choosing when you have a missed call, SMS, BT, or calendar... the G1 has more LED colors than you probably know
handyCalc: a semi-advanced calculator, can graph and solve simple algebraic and trignonometric equations. Nowhere near PocketCAS for WM though.

Not at all essential, but Sky Map is probably one of the cooler apps out there for the G1. Uses compass and accelerometer to detect phone orientation and shows a star/planet/constellation map of the area that the phone is pointing at.

AsaSpades

Jun 29, 2008
Hartford, CT
how good is Chomp sms, and Steel browser? I dont think I care much for the onscreen keyboard, is there anything else better?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    aTrackDog - Update all your apps in one sweep. Brilliant.
    AndFTP - Full featured FTP client.
    AnyCut - Create shortcuts to.. anything.
    AppsInstaller - Install apps from your SD card.
    OI File Manager - Easy to use file manager.
    Toggle Settings - Change settings in a few taps.
    Wallpaper Set & Save - Set PNG wallpapers, no more ****ty jpeg compression.
    Task Manager for Root Users - List/terminate running processes.
    MyBackup - Backup all your apps and settings.
    Screenshot - Essential för theme developing.
    Solitaire - Waste an hour playing card games.
    AccuWeather - Nice weather app, lists my home town unlike most other weather apps.
    Last.fm - The official client. Very nice except for a buffering issue at the start of some songs.
    PixelPipe - Very nice app for picture sharing/uploading.
    QuickPedia - Wiki app.
    SnapPhoto - Makes the bland default G1 camera come to life, briliant app. A must have.
    Well I have a hell of a lot of apps and here are the ones I find the most useful:

-AK Notepad (really any of the notepads out there will do, it's just convenient to have something to jot down quick notes and save them)
    -Apps Installer (makes it super easy to install apk files from your computer)
    -DroidSans Tweak Tools (mainly for easy-rebooting)
    -Lock 2.0 (makes the stock lock screen much more appealing and sliding to unlock is very convenient)
    -MemoryForLemmings (uncertain if it truly does much but unless I'm just experiencing the placebo effect, it would seem to speed up the phones interface after usage).
    -Missed Call (great for customizing alerts, it's amazing how useful it is to have a flashing blue LED as a text notification and a flashing green LED as a missed call notification)
    -PicSay (easy-to-use simple image editing app)
    -Power Manager (doesn't do anything Locale can't but pre-defined settings are useful on their own)
    -SnapPhoto (widely regarded as a perfect replacement to the default camera app, and for good reason)
    -SMS Backup (essential if you want to keep long text threads saved, it starts to slow down sms apps when they get too large)
    -Chomp SMS (much better than the default app, works faster, more customizable, on-screen keyboard)
    -Task Manager (great for ending background apps)
    -TuneWiki (good music app, haven't found much wrong with it)
    -Useful Switchers (one of many instant switcher apps, I find this one aesthetically pleasing and it does the job)
    -Wifi Fixer (sadly, I have to use this every 3 minutes or so while using Wifi as my connection constantly hangs, but without it browsing is unbearable)
    Some free (libre and gratis) apps of great usefulness (updated 7/25):

Barcode Scanner - For scanning QR codes of urls. (open)
    FBReaderJ - A promising e-book reader. Still needs polish. (open)
    Google Maps - Updated version from Market. Better pathing. (closed)
    Google Voice - Official client for the GV webapp. (closed)
    Market Enabler - Access the full paid Android Market worldwide. (open)
    My Tracks - Create a record of your tracks using GPS. (closed)
    Sipdroid - Make and receive SIP calls. (open)
    StreamFurious - Listen to some live NPR on the go! (closed)
    Wifi Tether - Tether a notebook to give it 3G internet access. (open)
    Work Email - Simple Exchange mail client from HTC. (closed)
    I've only had my G1 for a week, but already have quite a few must have apps:

GScript - one touch shortcuts for running shell scripts
    K-9 - much more robust than the crappy default Email.apk (which I removed)
    Accuweather - (I like the weather alert feature it provides)
    Opera-mini - can view shots from my webcams (default browser can't do)
    Wifi Tether - can use my old Wing in wifi mode (during my transition)
    Advanced Task Manager - to kill processes/programs
    ATrackDog - managing installed apps
    Terminal Emulator - great for running scripts and emailing output
    ConnectBot - perfect for ssh to my home server and grabbing files, etc.
    Hey guys wondering if there is a T9 dialer keyboard that can be downloaded? I am looking into the HTC MAGIC and really text alot using that specific type of keyboard. Thanks for your help.

check out Better Keyboard

edit: Just saw that you were looking for a dialer. Try Star Contact, or aContacts has a t9 dialer, but its a little more clunky IMO.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good Secure Password Manager? So far the only thing I have installed is Astrid after updating to 1.5.

what about secrets or KeePassDroid?