root 2.3.4,downgrade,and s-off

Search This thread

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Tried going on with the rest of the guide to get s-off and I receive error Main version is older when trying to downgrade. help anyone? Im wondering if my ICS rom has anything to do with it

./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img returns segmentation error

Last edited:

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Try going back to gingerbread. That should allow you to run it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
your ics rom does not change your main version,and shouldnt really be a factor.

the error youre getting means you didnt do something correctly with the adb commands,and the misc image didnt get rewritten with a lower main version number,to allow the "upgrade"(downgrade to froyo)

you need to start again with the adb steps,and provide a copy/paste of everything in the cmd window if it fails again.

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
my steps: format sd card to FAT32. place place PB31IMG.zip sd:/PB31IMG.zip
eject sd card
turn off phone
insert sd card
boot phone normally
file browser on phone confirms its not .zip.zip or anything
plug in phone open cmd

Code:
C:\miniadb_inc>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HT********    device

C:\miniadb_inc>md5sums mtd0.img

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename                              MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[C:\miniadb_inc\]
mtd0.img                                       34307be744275f1db1dd16af04c37839

C:\miniadb_inc>md5sums flash_image

Type md5sums -h for help

[C:\miniadb_inc\]
flash_image                                    0098a7dd6600b55fac34fc6645be5d7a

C:\miniadb_inc>adb push flash_image /data/local/
failed to copy 'flash_image' to '/data/local//flash_image': Permission denied

C:\miniadb_inc>adb root
restarting adbd as root

C:\miniadb_inc>adb push flash_image /data/local/
1237 KB/s (76044 bytes in 0.060s)

C:\miniadb_inc>adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/
1225 KB/s (655360 bytes in 0.522s)

C:\miniadb_inc>adb shell
root@android:/ # cd /data/local
cd /data/local
root@android:/data/local # chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image
chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image
root@android:/data/local # cd /data/local
cd /data/local
root@android:/data/local # ./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img
Segmentation fault
139|root@android:/data/local # exit
exit

C:\miniadb_inc>adb reboot bootloader

C:\miniadb_inc>

press power once once exits to bootloader

after some loading i get

Code:
Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Do you want to reboot device?

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
your ics rom does not change your main version,and shouldnt really be a factor.

the error youre getting means you didnt do something correctly with the adb commands,and the misc image didnt get rewritten with a lower main version number,to allow the "upgrade"(downgrade to froyo)

you need to start again with the adb steps,and provide a copy/paste of everything in the cmd window if it fails again.

Actually that flash_image command does depend on the os version. The flash_image binary that works on gingerbread will not work on ics. The flash_image packed with a more recent rom manager might.

Reactions: scotty1223

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Actually that flash_image command does depend on the os version. The flash_image binary that works on gingerbread will not work on ics. The flash_image packed with a more recent rom manager might.

so what do you suggest? should I install a gingerbread rom? or is there a flash_image that will work with ICS?

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
so what do you suggest? should I install a gingerbread rom? or is there a flash_image that will work with ICS?

Either works. If you don't want to flash a new ROM try:

cd /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files instead of the cd /data/local line. And then continue the instructions with the ./flash_image.

Otherwise flashing a gb rom should work.

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Either works. If you don't want to flash a new ROM try:

cd /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files instead of the cd /data/local line. And then continue the instructions with the ./flash_image.

Otherwise flashing a gb rom should work.

so do i do

Code:
cd /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/

or

Code:

cd /data/local

or what?

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
so do i do

Code:

or

Code:

cd /data/local

or what?

Just:

cd /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Just:

i get

Code:
cd /data/local
root@android:/data/local # cd /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/
root@android:/data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager # ./flash_image misc /sdcard
/mtd0.img
e misc /sdcard/mtd0.img                                                       <
/system/bin/sh: ./flash_image: not found
127|root@android:/data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager #

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
i get

Code:
cd /data/local
root@android:/data/local # cd /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/
root@android:/data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager # ./flash_image misc /sdcard
/mtd0.img
e misc /sdcard/mtd0.img                                                       <
/system/bin/sh: ./flash_image: not found
127|root@android:/data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager #

Sorry, I didn't do a great job trying to send this from work but it should be:

Code:
cd /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files/

You were missing the files at the end of the long command beginning with cd. Very important as it would not be able to find a flash_image file in the directory you specified:
/data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/

Let me know how that goes for you.

Reactions: Shano56

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Sorry, I didn't do a great job trying to send this from work but it should be:

Code:
cd /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/files/

You were missing the files at the end of the long command beginning with cd. Very important as it would not be able to find a flash_image file in the directory you specified:
/data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/

Let me know how that goes for you.

much better. thank you sir. worked like a charm. we'll see if i have s-off in about 2 minutes :)

i supposed i could have looked into /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/ to see what adb was looking for myself, but i didn't think of it :p

EDIT:

now i have a problem. booted into froyo just fine, however i run unrevoked 3.32 and it says cannot root is system to new

im left without a recovery image so i cant run unrevoked-forever.zip

should i retry unrevoked 3.32 ? any idea why it did not work at first try

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
much better. thank you sir. worked like a charm. we'll see if i have s-off in about 2 minutes :)

i supposed i could have looked into /data/data/com.koushikdutta.rommanager/ to see what adb was looking for myself, but i didn't think of it :p

EDIT:

now i have a problem. booted into froyo just fine, however i run unrevoked 3.32 and it says cannot root is system to new

Sometimes it takes a couple tries. You could try .22 shouldnt matter either way. If your on froyo with the froyo radio, it will eventually go thru.

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011

Just:

good call,sir,i hadnt thot of that :cool:

try it a second time,alot of times it need run twice.

Reactions: Shano56

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Sometimes it takes a couple tries. You could try .22 shouldnt matter either way. If your on froyo with the froyo radio, it will eventually go thru.

tried again and just used default recovery (version 2 instead of version 5) and it worked. now I have

INCREDIBLEC XD SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-0.92.0000
RADIO-2.15.00.07.28

is it recommend to update hboot or radio to anything?

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
tried again and just used default recovery (version 2 instead of version 5) and it worked. now I have

INCREDIBLEC XD SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-0.92.0000
RADIO-2.15.00.07.28

is it recommend to update hboot or radio to anything?

I would upgrade clockworkmod back to 5. You can use rom manager for that. No need to upgrade hboot. In fact I wouldn't. The radio is fine but if you look around different people have different radio versions that seem to worn better for them. You don't need to change radios when flashing rooms tho. Also good job on the tricky s-off.

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
I would upgrade clockworkmod back to 5. You can use rom manager for that. No need to upgrade hboot. In fact I wouldn't. The radio is fine but if you look around different people have different radio versions that seem to worn better for them. You don't need to change radios when flashing rooms tho. Also good job on the tricky s-off.

yeah i updated in rom manager. thanks again for the help, i'll keep my radio as is

i can now remove /system/apps with s-off.. could not with s-on. interesting

Last edited:

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
Im getting mainver error as well? Im trying to root friends dinc...... This is ridiculous, my tbolt, and rezound were easy as hell! Any thoughts guys? He has the 1.2 00000000 hboot, and he is on the stock gingerbread rom. We do have cwmr and su permissions.

Sent from my s-off rooted htc rezound using Xparent ics blue tapatalk 2

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Im getting mainver error as well? Im trying to root friends dinc...... This is ridiculous, my tbolt, and rezound were easy as hell! Any thoughts guys? He has the 1.2 00000000 hboot, and he is on the stock gingerbread rom. We do have cwmr and su permissions.

Sent from my s-off rooted htc rezound using Xparent ics blue tapatalk 2

Follow this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1506258, start at step 28. The bootloader must be unlocked first, but since its rooted i assume it is.

dpwhitty11

Aug 15, 2010
Houston, TX
Here's my situation.

HBOOT .92, s-on, 07.07 radio, CWM 5.0.2.0. Unrooted.
Somehow, don't remember how (did this ages ago), got myself running CM7 nightly.
Phone was originally on the 2.3.4 update.
Now, I can't do a damn thing.
Can't re-root.
Can't get s-off.
Can't run a RUU.
Can't anything.... Besides flash kernels?

This guide doesn't help, I get stuck at step 2... It runs up until it enters CWM, and then it spits this out:
ClockWorkMod Recovery v5.0.2.0
Waiting for SD Card to mount (20s)
SD Card mounted...
Verifying SD Card marker...
SD Card marker not found...
Checking Internal SD Card marker...
Error verifying extendedcommand.
Error processing ROM Manager script. Please verify you have ROM Manager v4.4.0.0 or higher installed.
/tmp/recovery.log was copied to /sdcard/clockworkmod/recovery-log. Please open ROM Manager to report the issue.
And I can't continue on. Root fails, step 3 fails, etc.

Copy of recovery-log:
http://pastebin.com/cKB6j4Di

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ATTENTION! this thread is OUTDATED

unrevoked has always been a finicky program,3.22 working fine for some,not so much for others.recent updates seemd to have made it even worse, i see alot of issue and fustration with it lately. as such, i do not recomend this method any longer.

IMO,at this time htcdev is the best way to root,downgrade,and achieve s-off. while it technically does void your warranty,and wipe your data,it has thus far at least proven to be reliable. i doubt may original droid incredibles have factory warranty left anyway ;) it does not use unrevoked,or any otehr root tools or programs,just htcs own unlock(you can giggle loudly,or silently,as you use their unlock to achieve s-off :D

the original home of the hctdev method is here, on android forums.

it is also here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1600904 but not as well supported since im not here as much.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*outdated guide:

i wasnt sure if this should be here,or in development,so feel free to move it if you feel its in the weong spot. i cant take credit for any of this,i just took it all from different places and put it all here. unfortunately,i cant gaurantee that this will work for everyone. but several have succesfully downgraded and regained s-off.

its intended for someone who has no adb experinece,and is overwhelmed at the thot of downloading and installing the SDK. if your proficient at adb,your welcome to pull flash_image and mtd0 out,and place them in tools,platform tools,or wherever you usually push files from,rather than changing to the mini-adb_inc directory.

thots and feed back are welcome. ive had this guide up here on AF for a few days. ill try and provide support here as well,but please underdstand computer time is limited these days and i dont make it here as often. in otherwords,please help each other out :)
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

PLEASE NOTE: this thread is for the original droid incredible. NOT the incredible 2(vivow) or incredible S(vivo)
    for info on downgrading the inc 2 to .97 hboot so you can root with revolutionary,see this thread here in the inc 2 all things root subforum

if you DO have an original droid incredible,aka Inc 1,then procede :)

READ THIS: i dont mean to sound like i dont want to be bothered with questions. however,folks are having basically the same issues thru-out the 600+ posts,so i can almost gauarntee if you have a prollem,it has been covered. please try and search for some answers before jumping to the end and posting. answering the same things over and over is just making the thread even longer and harder to search.

if you do have trouble and need to post questions about ADB commands,please provide a copy of your entire session in the command window along with the question. its usually pretty easy to see what went wrong when we can see the whole thing.

copy everything in the command window,and paste it into a code box by:
    -right click in the command window,click mark.
    -highlight everything in white. hit enter.
    -then,in your "reply to thread" box here,click the "#" up top
    -right click and "paste" everything between the
    Code:
     tags.

i cant take credit for any of this,i just took it all from different places and put it all here. unfortunately,i cant gaurantee that this will work for everyone. but several now have rooted 2.3.4,and 1 has succesfully downgraded and gained s-off. 

its intended for someone who has no adb experinece,and is overwhelmed at the thot of downloading and installing the SDK. if your proficient at adb,your welcome to pull flash_image and mtd0 out,and place them in tools,platform tools,or wherever you usually push files from,rather than changing to the mini-adb_inc directory.

thots and feed back are welcome. there will prolly be several edits of this as i try to clarify it,and make it a lil better. but for now im tired and 5am comes early ;)

[B]first and foremost,giving proper credit to all that deserve it:[/B]
    *alpharev and unrevoked for all they for the root community :cool:
    -efizzle for getting the ball rolling in [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1286223"]this thread[/URL] on xda by figuring out that an older version of unrevoked would get superuser access on 2.3.4
    -iowabowtech for point me in the direction of [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=768295&highlight=ota"]this thread[/URL] that i collected the misc image,and parts of the guide. also for his support answering questions.
    -sele and the crew in the "rescue squad" on [URL="http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&drKey=1153&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fandroidforums.com%2Fthunderbolt-all-things-root%2F418539-thunderbolt-root-unroot-thread.html&v=1&libid=1318297929451&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thunderboltforums.com%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fandroidforums.com%2Fthunderbolt-all-things-root%2F&title=Thunderbolt%20Root%2FUnroot%20Thread%20-%20Android%20Forums&txt=HTC%20Thunderbolt%20Forum&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13182980284911"]the thunderbolt forum[/URL] for what i like to call the "mini-adb" concept.
    -rooter28 for testing and keeping me updated as he made progress. hopefully he will stop in and help answer questions :)
    -mkreiger for fearlessly jumping in to be the second official tester
    -lovejess for finding a mac download for unrevoked 3.22
    -gkinsella2 for contributing the mac specific instructions 
    -whomever origianlly came up with the images and guide linked above. if i can figure out who this was,ill add you in later.
    *special thanks to sdrawcab for his invaluable support in helping answer questions and prollems
    -prolly more,im sure there will be several edits of this.

1)[B][I]download these files[/I][/B],and save them somewhere you can easily find them:

[U]unrevoked 3.22[/U]  [url=http://www.multiupload.com/WMGYYGL97Z]unrevoked 3.22[/url] 
    [U]mirror:[/U] [URL="https://www.box.net/shared/8e3nb5l5lnjjuh6vbqt7"]unrevoked 3.22 mirror[/URL]
    md5: [COLOR="red"]5760fbe8ed6d44752e78433252f2d5b2[/COLOR]

[U]unrevokeds modified usb drivers[/U]  [url=http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/windows_hboot_driver_install]public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki][/url]

[U]mini-adb_inc[/U](contains misc image,flash image,and some basic adb tools)[url=http://www.multiupload.com/0G635MCZS2]Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites![/url] 
    md5: [COLOR="red"]a793cc0142e1cd18f60849894bbc47cd[/COLOR]
    [U]mirror:[/U][url]http://www.mediafire.com/?o6c4kq4wyccuom5[/url] 
    mirror md5: [COLOR="Red"]7c5211686a20b558ccd660c782f82e2b[/COLOR]
    [I]*clockwork and zergrush included in mirror[/I]

[U]PB31IMG for 2.2[/U] (2.2 downgrade) [url=http://www.mediafire.com/?uvha2u2pv3xp8d5]PB31IMG.zip[/url]
    [U]mirror:[/U] [url]http://pvillecomp.com/?page_id=22[/url]
    md5: [COLOR="red"]31bb1611a0fa8197d447c0438426717e[/COLOR]

[U]clockwork 5.0.2.0[/U] [url=http://www.multiupload.com/FGEU9VPGKF]Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites![/url]
    [U]mirror:[/U][url]http://pvillecomp.com/?page_id=28[/url]
    md5: [COLOR="Red"]e8ac35ddc1c37000bb0852d1f380b5bb[/COLOR]

**make sure to check the md5 sums match those listed!**
    if you dont have an md5 sum verifier on your PC,there are many out there for free. heres an example: [url=http://www.md5summer.org/]Home of the MD5summer[/url]

2)[B][I]root with unrevoked 3.22[/I][/B]
    -go to settings/applications and [U]uncheck[/U] "fastboot". having this checked will prevent you from getting to hboot via power/vol down.
    -open the recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc_PB31IMG download. extract it first if you need to. inside there is an image called "recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc". right click on this image,then click "copy". navigate to a directory you can easily find it,then right click in that directory,then "paste". alternatively,you can drag it from the extracted folder to a convienient spot(i personally like to drag files around,but its fine either way). 
    -use your md5 summer to verify the md5 of just the image,not the whole .zip. it should be: [COLOR="Red"]ea382ca5809cb872d0582aa22741d592[/COLOR]
    -install the drivers as described on unrevokeds page above. 
    -unplug your phone.
    -extract the contents of the unrevoked 3.22 .zip. open the folder, right click on "reflash" and run as administrator if possible.
    -click on "file" in the corner of the relfash window
    -click custom recovery
    -navigate to,and select your "recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-inc" image and select it. at the bottom of your reflash app window, it should now say "recovery:custom" and "waiting for device"
    -make sure usb debugging is checked ON in settings/applications/development. 
    -plug in your phone and place it in charge only mode. assuming you installed the drivers correctly,unrevoked 3.22 will start. let it do its thing. it will reboot a couple of times. when its finished,it may leave you on a blank screen. if this is the case,pull the battery and reboot.
    -you [I]should[/I] now have the superuser app in your app drawer. if so,go to settings/applications/manage apps/superuser and clear data. test that superuser is working and granting permissions by downloading rom manager,and using it to flash the newest clockwork recovery. alternatively,download and run a "root checker" or any of your favorite "root only" apps and make sure they work.
    -once you get "successfully flashed clockwork recovery" boot to it and make a backup,since downgrading to get s-off [U]WILL[/U] wipe all your data. boot back into the operating system.
    *[I]special note to slcd users[/I]: this version of unrevoked is  installig an old, non-compatible version of clockwork,so you will just see a black screen if you do not install newer clockwork as described above. 
    -if you plan to install a custom rom after downgrading,now is a good time to download titaium backup,and its pro key(WELL worth the $$) and do a batch backup of all your user apps and app data(no system data)

*at this point,you could just enjoy root access without doing anything else. if all you care about is using a couple of root only apps,and deleting some bloatware,you can remain rooted and s-on if youd like. id personally reccomend to downgrade and become s-off in case future OTAs knock out your root access.

3)[B][I]prepare to downgrad[/I]e[/B]
    -extract the mini-adb_inc .zip. place the extracted folder on the root of your c drive. it comtains mtd0,flash_image,and some adb tools.
    -place the 2.2 downgrade on the root of your sd card,and verify it is named "PB31IMG". now is a good time to verify that your SD card is formatted "FAT32" by right clicking on the drive that is your phones sd card,then click "properties". if you find your card is formated anything else,youll have to re-format it. start by backing up all files to your PC as reformatting [U]WILL[/U] wipe it clean. using your PC,do a full format to FAT32. you can then transfer the files back. *this is important-as your phone will not find the downgrade PB31IMG unless your card is formatted to FAT 32,and the file is correctly named.

[U]special notes on hboot flashing PB31IMG files[/U] a common issue folks are having is the PB31IMG is not being found by hboot. 
    *there are only 2 reasons a PB31IMG is not found on the root of the sd card:
    a)not named correctly. the phone muse see exactly "PB31IMG.zip". due to the way windows automatically adds and hides file extensions,it is usually correct to name the file "PB31IMG" with windows. common errors are for the file to be named "PB31IMG.zip.zip" after manually tying in the ".zip". on rarer occasions,it may not be adding/hiding the file extension,resulting in the file actually beening seen by the phone as "PB31IMG" :eek: [I]check your file with a file manager on your phone[/I] and see how its seeing it.

b)sd card not formatted FAT32. if it is plain FAT or anything else,PB31IMG is invisible. on rare occasion,i have seen claims that a bad sd card,or card that needs reformatted(even tho it may be FAT32) will have the same affect.
    *this has been addressed [U]several[/U] times in the thread,skim thru it for more information.

4)[B][I]downgrade with adb[/I][/B]. make sure your phone is charged to 100% before starting.
    -on windows 7,click the start bubble and type "command" in the search box. this should open a small black command window. from this point forward,all code will be in [B]bold[/B] so you know what lines to copy and paste(or type,if you really want to type them all in). additional comments will be blue,and should not be copy/pasted. please note that each line is one command. copy/paste it into the prompt in your command window,and push enter. one line at a time. 

at the end of the post,is a copy of my session,to show what the outputs of the entered lines should look like. hopefully,its a little less scary when you know that youre getting the right responses to the things you enter.

-make sure phone is plugged in and usb debugging checked on,in charge only mode

-at the promt in your command window:

[B]cd c:mini-adb_inc [/B] [COLOR="Blue"]this should change your command promt to "mini-adb_inc",indicating youre using that directory.[/COLOR]
    [B]adb devices[/B] [COLOR="blue"]this should output your phones serial number,indicating its recognized[/COLOR]

[B]md5sums mtd0.img [/B] [COLOR="blue"]it should output a few things.at the end you should see this number 34307be744275f1db1dd16af04c37839
    [/COLOR]
    [B]md5sums flash_image[/B] [COLOR="blue"]again,it will output some things,then you should see this number: 0098a7dd6600b55fac34fc6645be5d7a[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]*both those numbers must match exactly. if they do then you can procede.
    [/COLOR]

[B]adb push flash_image /data/local/[/B]
    [B]adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/[/B]

[B]adb shell[/B] [COLOR="Blue"]your prompt should change to a #. if it changes to a $,then type[/COLOR] [B]su[/B] [COLOR="blue"]note your phone may pop up a message asking you to allow permissions the first time you do this. if it does check "always" and touch "allow" on the superuser request on the phone screen.[/COLOR]

[B]cd /data/local[/B]
    [B]chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image[/B]

[B]cd /data/local[/B]
    [B]./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img[/B]

[COLOR="blue"]you can now downgrade back to 2.2,so you can run "unrevoked forever" to regain s-off[/COLOR]

[B]exit[/B] [COLOR="Blue"]to get out of your adb shell,and back to the "mini-adb_inc" prompt[/COLOR]

[B]adb reboot bootloader[/B] [COLOR="blue"]this will boot your phone to "fastboot" select "bootloader" with the power button.[/COLOR]

hopefully what you will see now,is a blue status bar as your phone finds the PB31IMG,unpacks it,checks it,then asks if youd like to update. select yes to update with the volume up rocker. if youve never installed a full ruu in hboot,it will take a few minutes,so dont panic. place the phone gently down somewhere where it wont fall and spit out the battery. let it do its thing. push power to reboot when prompted.

let the phone fully boot,then place in disk drive mode and immediately delete PB31IMG from your sd card,as it will interefere with running unrevoked forever.

*[I][U]special note:[/U][/I] if your phone does not fully boot after running PB31IMG,dont panic. its happened to quite a few users,for some reason. simply pull your battery,boot to hboot via power/volume down and run PB31IMG again.

download unrevoked forever from here: [url=http://www.unrevoked.com/recovery/]unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32[/url]

run it as you did the previous version. before plugging in your phone,make sure "disable phone security is checked" in the file menu. this time,it will root you,and turn the secure flag off on your radio. this is good,as it will allow you to always flash things that werent signed and approved by htc. you can flash new radios and recoveries,and flash any ruu you wish. the secure flag is in the radio,so running ruus or even accepting OTAs will not over-ride it. you will always stay s-off.

[I][U]*unrevoked 3.32 note:[/U][/I] if you check the "disable phone security" box as described above,and unrevoked still fails to turn s-off,you are not lost.[U]simply flash the s-off tool in recovery[/U]. you can find it here: [url=http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever]public:forever [RootWiki][/url]

if you wish to return to where you were,sign into google,download rom manger,flash the latest clockwork recovery. boot to recovery,then restore the back you made before we started.

optionally,you can now install the custom rom of your choice,along with a new recovery and radio if you desire. :)

and heres what you will see when entering the commands(the red are my copy/paste's):

[CODE]Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:UsersScott>[COLOR="Red"]cd c:mini-adb_inc[/COLOR]

c:mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
    List of devices attached
    HT07DHJ02777    device

c:mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]md5sums mtd0.img[/COLOR]

Type md5sums -h for help

[c:mini-adb_inc]

c:mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]md5sums flash_image[/COLOR]

Type md5sums -h for help

[c:mini-adb_inc]

c:mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb push flash_image /data/local/[/COLOR]
    1547 KB/s (76044 bytes in 0.048s)

c:mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/[/COLOR]
    1662 KB/s (655360 bytes in 0.385s)

c:mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
    $ [COLOR="red"]su[/COLOR]
    su
    # [COLOR="red"]cd /data/local[/COLOR]
    cd /data/local
    # [COLOR="red"]chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image[/COLOR]
    cd /data/local
    # [COLOR="red"]./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img[/COLOR]
    # [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
    exit
    $ [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
    exit

c:mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:mini-adb_inc>

other info:
    -unrevoked 3.22 for mac can be found here: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/recovery/3.22/Reflash.dmg at this point youre on your own converting the adb commands. if someone wants to translate,or make a mac adb guide,ill gladly add it in :)
    -until we put together a mac specific guide,directions for modifying the rest of it to work on a mac are found in post #629,here: http://androidforums.com/incredible...-3-4-root-downgrade-s-off-13.html#post3623666 courtesy of gkinsella2. mac users(and everyone else :p) make sure to click the thanks button on his post!
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

*last and not least,this is a direct copy/paste of the AF thread,so any references to pages numbers are references to THAT thread on AF
    the zergRoot method

this is for folks who for whatever reason,unrevoked 3.22 does not work to get them root access.

this could also be used if youve got a replacement device thats not setup,and you could care less about installing a recovery. this still requires unrevokeds drivers to be set up,so you can root with unrevoked 3.32 after downgrading,but otherwise,it prolly is a lil quicker since you dont need to download and run unrevoked 3.22.

alternately,use this if you just like ADB :D if your proficient in adb,feel free to remove the images from mini-adb_inc,and place them and the zergRush tool into whatever folder you typically push files from.

like above,this is intended for someone whose never installed ADB or entered command lines before.

1)download these files,and save them somewhere you can easily find them:

unrevokeds modified usb drivers public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki]

mini-adb_inc(contains misc image,flash image,and some basic adb tools)Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    md5: a793cc0142e1cd18f60849894bbc47cd

PB31IMG for 2.2 PB31IMG.zip
    md5: 31bb1611a0fa8197d447c0438426717e

zergRush tool from xda: Revolutionary - zergRush local root 2.2/2.3 - xda-developers
    md5: 12c52b97e75e73595b325c03610b3380

**make sure to check the md5 sums match those listed!**
    if you dont have an md5 sum verifier on your PC,there are many out there for free. heres an example: Home of the MD5summer

3)prepare to downgrade
    -extract the mini-adb_inc .zip. place the extracted folder on the root of your c\ drive. it comtains mtd0,flash_image,and some adb tools.
    -extract zergRush.zip. take the image inside,and either copy/paste or drag it into your mini-adb_inc folder
    -place the PB31IMG of 2.2 on the root of your sd card. rename PB31IMG. now is a good time to verify that your SD card is formatted "FAT32" by right clicking on the drive that is your phones sd card,then click "properties". if you find your card is formated anything else,youll have to re-format it. start by backing up all files to your PC as reformatting WILL wipe it clean. using your PC,do a full format to FAT32. you can then transfer the files back. *this is important-as your phone will not find the downgrade PB31IMG unless your card is formatted to FAT 32,and the file is correctly named.

4)downgrade with adb. make sure your phone is charged to 100% before starting.
    -on windows 7,click the start bubble and type "command" in the search box. this should open a small black command window. from this point forward,all code will be in bold so you know what lines to copy and paste(or type,if you really want to type them all in). additional comments will be blue,and should not be copy/pasted. please note that each line is one command. copy/paste it into the prompt in your command window,and push enter. one line at a time.

at the end of the post,is a copy of my session,to show what the outputs of the entered lines should look like. hopefully,its a little less scary when you know that youre getting the right responses to the things you enter.

-make sure phone is plugged in and usb debugging checked on in charge only mode

-at the promt in your command window:

cd c:\mini-adb_inc this should change your command promt to "mini-adb_inc",indicating youre using that directory.
    adb devices this should output your phones serial number,indicating its recognized

md5sums mtd0.img it should output a few things.at the end you should see this number 34307be744275f1db1dd16af04c37839

md5sums flash_image again,it will output some things,then you should see this number: 0098a7dd6600b55fac34fc6645be5d7a

md5sums zergRush again,output stuff, then this number: 3cf8a3fbceb667121d91f4ef1a66684c

*all those numbers must match exactly. if they do then you can procede.

adb push zergRush /data/local/
    adb shell this will change your promt to a $
    chmod 755 /data/local/zergRush
    /data/local/zergRush

this will cause zergRush to start,and it shoudl say "found a gingerbread!" followed by a bunch of other funny stuff.

last thing it says will be: Killing ADB and restarting as root... enjoy!

you should then be returned to your "mini-adb_inc>" prompt

adb push flash_image /data/local/
    adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/

adb shell your prompt should change to a #

cd /data/local

cd /data/local

you can now downgrade back to 2.2,so you can run "unrevoked forever" to regain s-off

exit to get out of your adb shell,and back to the "mini-adb_inc" prompt

adb reboot bootloader this will boot your phone to "fastboot" select "bootloader" with the power button.

hopefully what you will see now,is a blue status bar as your phone finds the PB31IMG,unpacks it,checks it,then asks if youd like to update. select yes to update with the volume up rocker. if youve never installed a full ruu in hboot,it will take a few minutes,so dont panic. place the phone gently down somewhere where it wont fall and spit out the battery. let it do its thing. push power to reboot when prompted.

let the phone fully boot,then place in disk drive mode and immediately delete PB31IMG from your sd card,as it will interefere with running unrevoked forever.

download unrevoked forever from here: unrevoked3 recovery reflash tool, v3.32

run unrevoked(extract the contents,right click on "reflash",run as adminstrator if possible). this time,it will root you,and turn the secure flag off on your radio. this is good,as it will allow you to always flash things that werent signed and approved by htc. you can flash new radios and recoveries,and flash any ruu you wish. the secure flag is in the radio,so running ruus or even accepting OTAs will not over-ride it. you will always stay s-off.

and heres what you should see when entering the commands(my copy/pastes are in red):

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="Red"]cd c:\mini-adb_inc[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    HT117HJ00242    device

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]md5sums mtd0.img[/COLOR]

Type md5sums -h for help

[c:\mini-adb_inc\]

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]md5sums flash_image[/COLOR]

Type md5sums -h for help

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]md5sums zergRush[/COLOR]

Type md5sums -h for help

zergRush                                       3cf8a3fbceb667121d91f4ef1a66684c

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb push zergRush /data/local/[/COLOR]
    1150 KB/s (21215 bytes in 0.018s)

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
    $ [COLOR="red"]chmod 755 /data/local/zergRush[/COLOR]
    chmod 755 /data/local/zergRush
    $ [COLOR="red"]/data/local/zergRush[/COLOR]
    /data/local/zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
    [**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00015108
    [*] Scooting ...
    [*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
    [+] Zerglings found a way to enter ! 0x10
    [+] Zerglings caused crash (good news): 0x401219e4 0x006c
    [*] Researching Metabolic Boost ...
    [+] Speedlings on the go ! 0xafd158bf 0xafd1ace3

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
    [+] Killing ADB and restarting as root... enjoy!

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb push flash_image /data/local/[/COLOR]
    1547 KB/s (76044 bytes in 0.048s)

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/[/COLOR]
    1017 KB/s (655360 bytes in 0.629s)

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
    cd /data/local
    # [COLOR="red"]chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image[/COLOR]
    cd /data/local
    # [COLOR="red"]./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img[/COLOR]
    #[COLOR="red"] exit[/COLOR]
    exit

c:\mini-adb_inc>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

c:\mini-adb_inc>

edit:apparently the zergRush tool has changed. ive included the new md5s,so hopefully there wont be any more confusion like the old md5s caused earlier. be aware of this,however, in case they do change again. you are right to be cautious if it doesnt match,so ill do my best to keep up with it.
    Qucik question, I root my Dinc by useing this preocess, but I stopped at rooting didnt get S-off. I was wonder can I now go to HTC-dev tool and use their program to get S-off is is safe if im already rooted using this process?

htcdev will NOT give you s-off. it will give you an unlocked s-on. while htc dev does give you access to recovery,boot,and system,it is not by any means the same as an unsecured bootloader(s-off).

it will not let you change radios,and it will not let you roll back the firmware to older versions. basically,while its allowing us some access to flash roms,etc.,it is still doing security checks.

further,it is possible that this hboot may start doing additional security checks that *could* prevent it from being overwritten. just ask the evo 3d guys how their quest to roll back to s-offable fomrware is going after a sneeky OTA replaced their hboots with the htc dev **locked** one :eek:

i would pretty strongly reccomend downgrading and becoming s-off FIRST,if you want to play with htcdevs unlock method.
    The thing is, hboot doesn't detect the zip file. It IS correctly named (without .zip at the end to avoid .zip.zip)...

Try adding the .zip and see if it works that way. Or download this one and dont rename it at all, just place it on your sd in no folders. http://dinc.does-it.net/Stock_Images/3.26.605.1/PB31IMG.zip
    I had to hard reset my phone to fix a texting issue yesterday, and decided to root my phone since I had to redo everything on my phone anyways. So I have the latest ota and the 2.08 build update.

I ran the "reflash" and it did its thing and said done at the end. Then I selected file and loaded the custom recovery. So now it read 'done' and 'recovery image: custom'

I turn the phone on and it never leaves the white 'htc Incredible' screen. Then I have to remove the battery.

I hold the volume down and power button, and get the HBOOT screen. RECOVERY loads the white 'htc Incredible' screen and then takes me to a black screen with white edges on the right and left, but no hat (or whatever image is suppose to be there). It doesn't do anything after this unless I hit the optical button, which reboots the phone, but doesn't allow me to load HBOOT if I hold the volume down button at the same time.

Any clues?

I'm kind of wanting to load the PB31IMG onto my sdcard and see if that does anything in HBOOT, but I'm not exactly sure where the root of my sdcard is. "place the PB31IMG of 2.2 on the root of your sd card."

UPDATE:
    I loaded the PB31IMG onto my sdcard and loaded hboot on my phone. The error I get is "Main version is older!"

Info listed in hboot:
    INCREDIBLEC XD SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-0.92.0000
    MICROP-0417
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
    RADIO-2.15.10.07.07
    Jul 23 2010,18:06:51

UPDATE 2:
    So Im pretty sure where I screwed up is that fact that my inc is a slcd version and I ran unrevoked3 before selecting the custom recovery. So I guess I need to flash a different PB31IMG file thatll install a different version of clockwork (or something like that...)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

it doesn't boot into the. system at all? that's odd. try running the RUU and rerun Unrevoked. I tried Custom recovery but it never rooted the phone it just gave me, well, a custom recovery. so I ran unrevoked like normal and I too got the weird black recovery screen but after giving it a minute a battery pull quickly booted me into a rom with SU. I was then able to continue with the rest of the process.

typing this from my phone ...

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

I get permission denied after I type su ....what to do?

Make sure your phone has the Superuser app. If not try rerunning Unrevoked. In my case I ran Unrevoked without the custom recovery part to get it to work.

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

I just realized the OP posted a 2nd method in the post after the first lol. IMO the second would have been a lot faster to do then running unrevoked all the times I did. For those that are gonna try this process in the future the second is simply

-zergrush
    -mtd0 and flash image
    -Downgrade with PB13IMGwhatever
    -Boot into Froyo and run Unrevoked like you used too :)