[Q] Semi bricked

Search This thread

Venomtester

Jan 28, 2013
Columbia
I did the S-OFF then I installed the elemental kernel on cleanrom 3.17. Thats when I started to notice the phone was sluggish and the battery percentage was not moving from 77%. So I came home and restored my phone back to stock and still had the same issue.

If you can still get into recovery, there is still a chance to flash the right firmware. Did you manually flash the recovery kernel over the elemental one? The higher hboot requires boot images flashed separately
AT&T HTC OneX
Android 4.1.1
ViperXL 3.2.3.

jac0b

Aug 23, 2009
Edgewater, FL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I will try flashing the elemental kernel again and make sure my voltage it right later today and will update this thread.

I flashed the elemental kernel with cleanrom and it seems to be working ok still sluggish but my battery still shows 77%.

CleanRom 3.17
Elemental Kernel 5.0:
850 min volts, Sleep2wake, No GPU OC, Disable FS sync

Last edited:

fl1p1slander

Feb 15, 2012
I believe I found a fix...

So I tried everything to find a fix for this. I had the same exact situation as OP. My phone was very sluggish and battery would stay constant at 77%. I also had a QHSUSB_DLOAD a few months ago.

I flashed 1.85 and 2.20 RUU's, different roms, and kernels. I even factory reset in bootloader, which wipe my entire SD Card. I relocked and unlocked bootloader. The final time combo I tried hard bricked. So I was again lucky that I was able to recover using it with the unbricking_evita method but I never completed the final step because it went into the black HTC screen. When I went into bootloader, I was back to S-ON. I then went into recovery and saw my percentage had change. So at this point I really believed that S-OFF did somehow did this. (I know that I am going to get flamed for this but this is my opinion. I know how much work was put into S-OFF and am grateful that is has been accomplished. I know the devs worked very hard achieve this.)

I wanted to test out if anything else could have affected this. I S-OFF'd after flashing Viper and ElementalX and the battery went back up to 77%. I reverted back to S-ON using "fastboot oem writesecureflag3" and the battery went to the correct percentage.

I might have thought that not completing the final step in the unbricking_evita process could have done this. I dd the partition backup (bakp4) using "dd if=/sdcard/bakp4 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4" and performed S-OFF again and same results. I reverted back to S-On and all is well.

I replicated the issue 3 different times trying to see if S-OFF wasn't the issue and each time S-ON fixed the problem. Again, I praise the devs for accomplishing this and mean no disrespect in any way.:good:

Reactions: jac0b

jac0b

Aug 23, 2009
Edgewater, FL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
So I tried everything to find a fix for this. I had the same exact situation as OP. My phone was very sluggish and battery would stay constant at 77%. I also had a QHSUSB_DLOAD a few months ago.

I flashed 1.85 and 2.20 RUU's, different roms, and kernels. I even factory reset in bootloader, which wipe my entire SD Card. I relocked and unlocked bootloader. The final time combo I tried hard bricked. So I was again lucky that I was able to recover using it with the unbricking_evita method but I never completed the final step because it went into the black HTC screen. When I went into bootloader, I was back to S-ON. I then went into recovery and saw my percentage had change. So at this point I really believed that S-OFF did somehow did this. (I know that I am going to get flamed for this but this is my opinion. I know how much work was put into S-OFF and am grateful that is has been accomplished. I know the devs worked very hard achieve this.)

I wanted to test out if anything else could have affected this. I S-OFF'd after flashing Viper and ElementalX and the battery went back up to 77%. I reverted back to S-ON using "fastboot oem writesecureflag3" and the battery went to the correct percentage.

I might have thought that not completing the final step in the unbricking_evita process could have done this. I dd the partition backup (bakp4) using "dd if=/sdcard/bakp4 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4" and performed S-OFF again and same results. I reverted back to S-On and all is well.

I replicated the issue 3 different times trying to see if S-OFF wasn't the issue and each time S-ON fixed the problem. Again, I praise the devs for accomplishing this and mean no disrespect in any way.:good:

I also had to unbrick my phone using that tool. I will try what did to see if I get the same result. So it's either the unbrick tool or S-OFF. I would still post this in the S-OFF thread in case someone else has the same issue.
Thanks for e help.

Another question, is there a way to make it go into QHSUSB_DLOAD mode?

Last edited:

fl1p1slander

Feb 15, 2012
I also had to unbrick my phone using that tool. I will try what did to see if I get the same result. So it's either e unbrick tool or S-OFF. I would still post this in the S-OFF thread in case someone else has the same issue.
Thanks for e help.

I tried but it was pretty hard. All the roms have phone id checkers to prevent this.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007

Try the power button and volume up. Same as when you go into bootloader, but volume up instead of down. Hold both for a few seconds, then release power, keep holding vol up, and see if it goes into QHSUSB_DLOAD mode.

jac0b

Aug 23, 2009
Edgewater, FL
Google Pixel 7 Pro
fl1p1slander was right my phone works great now that S-ON is back. Maybe it has to do with that we bricked our phone and used the unbrick tool.

The correct command to turn S_ON is "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" also make sure your on a offical HBOOT or you will brick your phone.

Big Thanks to fl1p1slander for coming up with the solution

cgukevin

Sep 18, 2012
fl1p1slander was right my phone works great now that S-ON is back. Maybe it has to do with that we bricked our phone and used the unbrick tool.

The correct command to turn S_ON is "fastboot oem writesecureflag 3" also make sure your on a offical HBOOT or you will brick your phone.

Big Thanks to fl1p1slander for coming up with the solution

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also had some weird problems after S-OFF. Fortunately, the issue resolved by reflashing the kernal and ROM. I'll hold on to turning back S-ON until I run into more severe problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you try Back up data, Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache, and reset?

RUU wipes everything. It rewrites recover, radio, all firmware components, and I think hboot. What you describe would not be any more of a reset than RUU.

The fact that the problem persists after RUU is a bit surprising, and troubling.

If not for the fact that the problem arouse right after S-Off, I would say it sounds like a failing battery.
    I believe I found a fix...

I got the issue fixed by sending that phone into mobiletechvideos and they reflashed my HBOOT and S-OFF'ed the phone and all is well now. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help.