[App] [Updated 02-NOV-2008] Diamond Cubes

Search This thread

Hawes380

Aug 29, 2008
Not Working

I tried to download this application but when i try to launch the program it gives me this error message:

"This application requires a newer version of the Microsoft. NET Compact Framework than the version installed on this device."

I have a HTC touch diamond P3700.

surur

Nov 29, 2003
You need .net CF 3.5

Google for the cab download available over at Modaco.com.

Surur

gerDiamond

Jul 26, 2008
"fork"

Loved it :) I've never had a chance to play with openGL nor D3D and i find it very interesting.

So I downloaded the solution, and found a few small things to change to make it faster: i changed the ticker interval from 100ms to 40ms (smallest value to poll the accelerometer - or you have to separate polling from drawing)
I also changed the onPaint and removed useless lines (or so I thought :)):
protected override void OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
{
//updateTimer.Enabled = false;
//base.OnPaint(e);

DrawGLScene();
egl.SwapBuffers(myDisplay, mySurface);
//updateTimer.Enabled = true;
}

So find attached a new and slightly faster version...
... and the solution (just a bit different from yours cgeboers as for some unknown reasons some parts of the projects were not available and i had to re-create an installer)

Attachments

• DiamondCubesInstaller.CAB
    166.1 KB · Views: 280
  • DiamondCubes_src.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:

surur

Nov 29, 2003
Loved it :) I've never had a chance to play with openGL nor D3D and i find it very interesting.

So I downloaded the solution, and found a few small things to change to make it faster: i changed the ticker interval from 100ms to 40ms (smallest value to poll the accelerometer - or you have to separate polling from drawing)
{
//base.OnPaint(e);

DrawGLScene();
}

... and the solution (just a bit different from yours cgeboers as for some unknown reasons some parts of the projects were not available and i had to re-create an installer)

I assume the application is using a real 3D space, vs just being 2 dimensional.

Would it be possible to have camera movements, zooming in and out of the 3d space. Also to add collision between the dice (it does not have to be perfect, just pretend they are spheres) and lastly add some sound (sound of shaking dice is freely available on the internet).
http://www.soundsnap.com/node/52585

Also can a real picture be used as the texture for the board?
http://www.platinumbilliards.com/images/STWORO.JPG

Surur

simplifight

Aug 27, 2008

{
//base.OnPaint(e);

DrawGLScene();
}

Bro,
Great Job...
BTW, there are 2 files, cab and zip....
Do we need to install both files into the diamond???
Or just run the cab file in diamond...

gerDiamond

Jul 26, 2008
install the cab

Bro,
Great Job...
BTW, there are 2 files, cab and zip....
Do we need to install both files into the diamond???
Or just run the cab file in diamond...

Just run the CAB on your precious, as usual. The zip contains the solution (just to share the small code modifications to everyone, like cgeboers did).

gerDiamond

Jul 26, 2008
I assume the application is using a real 3D space, vs just being 2 dimensional.

Would it be possible to have camera movements, zooming in and out of the 3d space. Also to add collision between the dice (it does not have to be perfect, just pretend they are spheres) and lastly add some sound (sound of shaking dice is freely available on the internet).
http://www.soundsnap.com/node/52585

Also can a real picture be used as the texture for the board?
http://www.platinumbilliards.com/images/STWORO.JPG

Surur

Yes, this is 3D, cgeboers used openGL.

Zooming is possible, though i'm not sure it has some interest until we can provide more dice to roll... but we could also provide camera movements based on the Diamond's position (holographic-like effect).

Sphere approximation collision handling was already done by cgeboers ; i've just added something to avoid dice to get superposed when they run into each other.

I've also added a background and sound, based on the resources you provided :)

You can try by yourself the current version attached... Rolling dice can be addictive... Even without a purpose :eek:

Attachments

• DiamondCubesInstaller.CAB
    234.2 KB · Views: 10,862

triklops

Aug 5, 2007
Yeah I love it too....DOn't know why but it just puts a big smile on my face everytime I use it :) :)

cgeboers

Jan 8, 2008
Schriek
Nice progress

Yes, this is 3D, cgeboers used openGL.

Zooming is possible, though i'm not sure it has some interest until we can provide more dice to roll... but we could also provide camera movements based on the Diamond's position (holographic-like effect).

Sphere approximation collision handling was already done by cgeboers ; i've just added something to avoid dice to get superposed when they run into each other.

I've also added a background and sound, based on the resources you provided :)

You can try by yourself the current version attached... Rolling dice can be addictive... Even without a purpose :eek:

Great job ! I started working on it again also, but I guess I will leave it to the pros to make something nice out of it. I have fixed the lighting already so each side is better and more realistic lighted.
I also changed the rotation math a bit, because with the current one, it is almost impossible to throw a "four". (Don't know if anybody noticed this yet)
And the last changes have to do with the OpenGLES project. I added some classes there and moved others to this project.

Sources are attached here, but no binaries. I assume that other will update theirs and share the sources.

Attachments

• DiamondCubes.zip
    225.1 KB · Views: 178

timoline

Jul 24, 2008
This is getting better and better.

Perhaps you can add some vibration when hitting the wall.
(Just like teeter game)

Thanks

gerDiamond

Jul 26, 2008
welcome back

Great job ! I started working on it again also, but I guess I will leave it to the pros to make something nice out of it. I have fixed the lighting already so each side is better and more realistic lighted.
I also changed the rotation math a bit, because with the current one, it is almost impossible to throw a "four". (Don't know if anybody noticed this yet)
And the last changes have to do with the OpenGLES project. I added some classes there and moved others to this project.

Sources are attached here, but no binaries. I assume that other will update theirs and share the sources.

Happy to hear from you!!
I'll have to wait until tonight to have a look at your new solution... after i post mine (what I should have done yesterday - but I was too lazy and just got to bed after the CAB was packed)

I think it would be better if you took back the control of your project, as you know it better and as I've no experience in openGL... (but i want to learn)

btw, i never noticed about the fours :)

Jorlin

Jun 5, 2008
This is a neat little app :D

Request:
Change the number of dices (1-4?).
Change the colour of dices and give an option for the background (some options like "wood", "stone" etc.)
Add more dice layouts (4-sided, 8-sided, 20 sided) :D